|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eduardo do for a living?
2. What happens to Aubrey during the taking of the prize ship?
3. Who will be out of town during the proposed uprising?
4. What does Maturin describe in his letter to his wife from Peru?
5. What does Maturin request of Aubrey in port?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are two of the main figures in the planned rebellion and how do they stand on the issue?
2. Why does Aubrey go out to sea in Franklin, what does he encounter and what does he discover?
3. What does Sam Panda have to say when he comes aboard the Surprise?
4. What is done at the meeting for the rebellion?
5. With whom does Maturin meet and why?
6. What does Aubrey attempt to do to correct what he found out about Dutourd?
7. What happens to Aubrey as they take the French ship?
8. Where does Maturin go when he leaves Callao the first time and who does he meet? Why is he going there?
9. What is the result of Martin's self-medication?
10. What side trip do Maturin and Eduardo take and what happens after they leave there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Patrick O'Brian has tried as much as possible to use historical events and facts around which to weave his work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think The Wine-dark Sea qualifies as an historical fiction? Why or why not?
2. If much of the events in the book are historical, what surprises you about the way the events play out?
3. Do you think the culture of that era is more or less advanced than you imagined? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Much attention is given to the treatment of both wounds and illnesses by Maturin. Maturin seems far more advanced than the typical doctor of that era. Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast the medical remedies Maturin uses in The Wine-dark Sea to that which would be done in our modern world.
2. Many wars are partially, if not completely, determined by factors other than the actual fighting. One of those factors is disease. Research and discuss how epidemics/pandemics have influenced the outcome of three different wars throughout history.
3. Discuss some of the medical remedies Maturin performs/uses that were probably not used in that era. Did Aubrey's surviving of the head wound and stabbing to his thigh seem plausible? What about Martin treating himself when he thought he had syphilis?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Wine-dark Sea. Does the setting seem to be the best one for the plot? Can you think of a better setting? Why or why not?
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Wine-dark Sea. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Wine-dark Sea. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)