|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Franklin and Surprise exchange when close enough?
2. For whom is Aubrey making sea observations?
3. How does Franklin compare to Surprise in size?
4. What does Maturin think about concerning his arrival in Peru?
5. How are the winds behaving by the end of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aubrey demand of Dutourd about Franklin and how does the crew of the Surprise feel about it?
2. How is Martin behaving and what does Maturin see Martin doing?
3. What is Maturin's relationship to Aubrey and what is his mission?
4. What means does Maturin use to think about Martin?
5. How does Reade accidentally slow down the Surprise?
6. What does Franklin do to attempt to lose Surprise?
7. How does Dutourd behave aboard the Surprise?
8. How does Aubrey handle the taking of the Franklin and what is the most pressing need for the ship?
9. Why has Dutourd commissioned the Franklin and what does he plan to do?
10. How does Dutourd conduct himself on board Surprise and how does Aubrey feel about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Wine-dark Sea. Does the setting seem to be the best one for the plot? Can you think of a better setting? Why or why not?
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Wine-dark Sea. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Wine-dark Sea. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
During this era when the book takes place, if a vessel under the command of a naval officer captures another vessel from a country with whom they are warring or captures a pirate vessel, etc...the crew of the victorious vessel shares in the goods, money and value of the vessel. This was the purpose for the Surprise having a letter of marque. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the British had such a policy in place then?
2. What are the possible abuses that can arise from such a policy?
3. Why do you think this policy is eventually abandoned?
Essay Topic 3
The Wine-dark Sea is one book in a series of novels involving Captain Aubrey and Dr. Maturin. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier, more difficult, or about the same to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)