|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nationality is the Franklin?
2. What does Dutourd act like on the Surprise?
(a) Like he is captain of the Surprise.
(b) As if he has never been on a boat before.
(c) Like Aubrey's esteemed guest.
(d) As if all his paperwork was in order.
3. What do many of Franklin's crew do about Surprise?
(a) Sabotage the salvage efforts.
(c) Continue to physically fight the Surprise crew.
(d) Volunteer to serve on Surprise.
4. How did the woman aboard the ship deal with the sexual advances of the men?
(a) She didn't refuse them.
(b) She claimed rape on three different occasions.
(c) She would accept money for sexual favors.
(d) She had any man who try anything to be reprimanded by the captain.
5. What type of old injury does Reade show?
(a) He is missing an arm.
(b) Two fingers on his right hand are gone.
(c) He is missing a leg.
(d) He has a long scar from forehead to jawline.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Martin act with Maturin?
2. Who is the owner of Franklin?
3. Where did the owner of Franklin plan to go when he left Europe?
4. What does Franklin's hold contain?
5. Why has West left the Royal Navy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vidal talk to Maturin about?
2. How does Dutourd behave aboard the Surprise?
3. What does Maturin write to Diana about Martin and how does Martin and Maturin's friendship fare?
4. What kind of region has Surprise sail into in Chapter 2 and what has happened in that region?
5. Why is West on the Surprise and what does he hope to obtain from Aubrey?
6. What are two promotions Aubrey makes from the forecastle to replace recent losses?
7. How have the crew fared during the event at the beginning of Chapter 2?
8. What is Maturin's relationship to Aubrey and what is his mission?
9. What does Surprise do about Franklin after they have made the most urgent repairs?
10. What type of mix is Surprise's crew and for what are some of the older members known?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)