|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Aubrey promote two men from the forecastle in Chapter 1?
(a) He likes both of the men.
(b) They saved the ship.
(c) To replace losses.
(d) He had to leave some crew ashore.
2. What surprises Dutourd about Aubrey's review of his documents?
(a) That Aubrey is planning to take half of Franklin's hold.
(b) That Aubrey considers the Franklin a prize.
(c) That he is being held as a pirate.
(d) That he has a sudden loss of prosperity.
3. How does the crew of Surprise feel about Aubrey's treatment of Dutourd and the Franklin?
4. What is the worst situation on Franklin?
(a) No fresh water.
(b) Main mast is gone.
(c) All the sails have holes in them from the ash.
(d) There is a large hole below the waterline.
5. Where did the owner of Franklin plan to go when he left Europe?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a particular viewpoint of Dutourd that Maturin attacks during dinner?
2. How does Dutourd think Aubrey should consider him?
3. What does Aubrey consider the owner of the Franklin to be on Surprise?
4. How does Dutourd feel when he is summoned by Aubrey?
5. In what did Martin show an interest after the woman left the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dutourd conduct himself on board Surprise and how does Aubrey feel about him?
2. What does Maturin write to Diana about Martin and how does Martin and Maturin's friendship fare?
3. What does Dutourd say about surrender and what does Aubrey discover in Franklin's papers?
4. What does Vidal talk to Maturin about?
5. What does Surprise do about Franklin after they have made the most urgent repairs?
6. What is happening in Martin and Maturin's relationship and what has Martin told Maturin?
7. What do Maturin and Martin do on the Franklin?
8. What does Franklin do to attempt to lose Surprise?
9. What were the mortar rounds the Surprise crew thought were being sent at them?
10. What is Maturin's relationship to Aubrey and what is his mission?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)