|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Martin and Maturin go aboard the Franklin?
(a) They didn't go aboard the Franklin.
(b) To say burial services.
(c) To administer medical aid.
(d) To resupply their medicines.
2. What does Aubrey think weather and sea conditions might mean?
(a) He doesn't know.
(b) The wind will stop.
(c) It will be a full moon that night.
(d) A bad storm is coming.
3. How did the woman aboard the ship deal with the sexual advances of the men?
(a) She had any man who try anything to be reprimanded by the captain.
(b) She claimed rape on three different occasions.
(c) She would accept money for sexual favors.
(d) She didn't refuse them.
4. What does everyone at the dinner table oppose no matter their other beliefs?
(b) Allowing women to own property.
(c) High taxes.
5. What type of religion does Vidal practice?
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Franklin's crew weathered the volcanic eruption?
2. Who takes over command of Franklin?
3. What does Dutourd ignore when aboard the Surprise?
4. To where does Maturin want to travel?
5. What do the religious groups from the town in question #50 hate mutually?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Maturin's personal reason for going to Peru?
2. What is Maturin's relationship to Aubrey and what is his mission?
3. What does Franklin do to attempt to lose Surprise?
4. How is Martin behaving and what does Maturin see Martin doing?
5. What does Surprise do about Franklin after they have made the most urgent repairs?
6. How do the various religious groups on Surprise get along both on the ship and ashore?
7. What is happening in Martin and Maturin's relationship and what has Martin told Maturin?
8. How does Dutourd conduct himself on board Surprise and how does Aubrey feel about him?
9. What is happening to the ocean and the winds by the end of Chapter 1 and what does Aubrey think of it?
10. How does Aubrey handle the taking of the Franklin and what is the most pressing need for the ship?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)