|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of old injury does Reade show?
(a) He is missing an arm.
(b) Two fingers on his right hand are gone.
(c) He is missing a leg.
(d) He has a long scar from forehead to jawline.
2. What type of religion does Dutourd find most compatible with his philosophies?
3. What does Maturin think about concerning his arrival in Peru?
(a) He dreads going there.
(b) He is frightened about what might happen.
(c) He anticipates arriving there.
(d) He is indifferent about going to Peru.
4. What did the woman's presence on board do to the crew?
(a) Cause a lot of physical violence.
(b) Made the crew fearful because woman are bad luck on ships.
(c) Ruined morale.
(d) Did not affect the crew at all.
5. What is the name of the woman who was hidden on the ship?
(a) Priscilla Newton.
(b) Clarissa Harvil.
(c) Victoria Rawlings.
(d) Maria de la Guierrilo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the British want to happen in South America?
2. How has Franklin's crew weathered the volcanic eruption?
3. Why does Franklin want to lighten her load?
4. What kind of philosophy does the owner of the Franklin espouse?
5. What type of work does Maturin do for the crown?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aubrey handle the taking of the Franklin and what is the most pressing need for the ship?
2. How does Dutourd behave aboard the Surprise?
3. What does Franklin do to attempt to lose Surprise?
4. What does Maturin write to Diana about Martin and how does Martin and Maturin's friendship fare?
5. What do Maturin and Martin do on the Franklin?
6. What does Aubrey demand of Dutourd about Franklin and how does the crew of the Surprise feel about it?
7. What are two promotions Aubrey makes from the forecastle to replace recent losses?
8. What kind of region has Surprise sail into in Chapter 2 and what has happened in that region?
9. Why is West on the Surprise and what does he hope to obtain from Aubrey?
10. What do Maturin and Aubrey do as they sail to Peru?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)