|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a shot from Franklin do to Surprise?
(a) Brings down some cordage and spars.
(b) Fractures the forecastle mast.
(c) Breaks the cargo hatch.
(d) Takes out some of the railing.
2. What does Surprise find out is the source of what was thought to be mortar fire?
(a) Firebombs from a volcano.
(b) A group of meteorites.
(c) Fireworks from an island.
(d) Cannon fire from a Spanish galleon.
3. What kind of plant does Maturin wish to obtain a stock for himself?
(a) Acai Berries.
(d) Coca leaves.
4. How does Dutourd feel when he is summoned by Aubrey?
5. Who good is Aubrey at predicting Franklin's movements?
(a) It is hit and miss.
(b) With seeming omniscience.
(c) He can't figure out what Franklin is doing at all.
(d) He is not trying to predict Franklin's movements.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aubrey note after examining Franklin's papers?
2. What does Maturin think about concerning his arrival in Peru?
3. For whom is Aubrey making sea observations?
4. Who is the owner of Franklin?
5. What is wrong with most of Franklin's crew who aren't injured?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Clarissa Harvill, why was she on the Surprise, and what did Aubrey make her do?
2. How is Martin behaving and what does Maturin see Martin doing?
3. Why is West on the Surprise and what does he hope to obtain from Aubrey?
4. What does Maturin write to Diana about Martin and how does Martin and Maturin's friendship fare?
5. What is Franklin's advantage in a chase with Surprise and why does it seem Franklin cannot shake the Surprise?
6. How do the various religious groups on Surprise get along both on the ship and ashore?
7. How did Clarissa affect the crew of the Surprise?
8. What is Maturin's personal reason for going to Peru?
9. What were the mortar rounds the Surprise crew thought were being sent at them?
10. How have the crew fared during the event at the beginning of Chapter 2?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)