|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Two subjects that the religious groups from the town in question #50 are at odds about are ____________________.
(a) Taxes and war.
(b) Pre-marital sex and war.
(c) Polygamy and drinking alcoholic beverages.
(d) Infant baptism and polygamy.
2. How did the woman aboard the ship deal with the sexual advances of the men?
(a) She claimed rape on three different occasions.
(b) She had any man who try anything to be reprimanded by the captain.
(c) She didn't refuse them.
(d) She would accept money for sexual favors.
3. What type of old injury does Reade show?
(a) He has a long scar from forehead to jawline.
(b) He is missing an arm.
(c) Two fingers on his right hand are gone.
(d) He is missing a leg.
4. Why does Maturin fear being recognized by the owner of the Franklin?
(a) It might compromise his mission.
(b) He had dealings with the man's sister.
(c) He owes the man money.
(d) The owner knows Stepen is a drug addict.
5. What kind of plant does Maturin wish to obtain a stock for himself?
(a) Coca leaves.
(c) Acai Berries.
6. What is a particular viewpoint of Dutourd that Maturin attacks during dinner?
(a) His idealist feelings about communism.
(b) That he believes humans can establish utopia.
(c) His scorn of the British nobility.
(d) His championing of Rosseau.
7. What has risen from the sea in the region where Surprise is sailing?
(a) A small coral reef.
(b) An iceberg.
(c) A large, battle ship.
(d) A new island.
8. What main part of Franklin do the carpenters have to replace?
(a) The mast.
(b) The forecastle.
(c) The rudder.
(d) The bow spars.
9. What does Maturin do to record his observations about Martin?
(a) Keeping it in the medical sick log.
(b) Writing a letter to Diana.
(c) Writing in his journal.
(d) Talking to Aubrey who puts it in the ship's log.
10. How is the barometer reacting to conditions?
(a) Falling rapidly.
(b) Going up and down.
(c) Holding steady.
(d) Rising rapidly.
11. What type of work does Maturin do for the crown?
(a) Merchant marine.
(d) Intelligence agent.
12. What does a shot from Franklin do to Surprise?
(a) Takes out some of the railing.
(b) Brings down some cordage and spars.
(c) Fractures the forecastle mast.
(d) Breaks the cargo hatch.
13. What is wrong with most of Franklin's crew who aren't injured?
(a) Nothing is wrong with them.
(b) They are shell shocked.
(c) They are drunk.
(d) They don't know how to sail a ship.
14. What does Dutourd ignore when aboard the Surprise?
(a) Any request that he work.
(b) Any questions of his legality.
(c) What is happening to his crew.
(d) Naval traditions.
15. What does Maturin do when his and Martin's relationship is almost hostile?
(a) He has Franklin's chaplain talk to Martin.
(b) He goes to Aubrey.
(c) He has Martin transferred to Franklin.
(d) Maturin retires.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the various religious groups' men do when aboard ship?
2. Why does Franklin want to lighten her load?
3. What does Aubrey think weather and sea conditions might mean?
4. What surprises Dutourd about Aubrey's review of his documents?
5. To what position is Henry Vidal promoted?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)