|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is happening between Martin and Maturin?
(a) Nothing is happening between them.
(b) They have become lovers.
(c) They have become sworn enemies.
(d) They are having minor difficulties with each other.
2. Where did the owner of Franklin plan to go when he left Europe?
3. How does Franklin compare to Surprise in size?
(a) It is larger but lighter.
(b) It is smaller but very heavy due to its guns.
(c) It is smaller and lighter.
(d) It is larger and heavier.
4. Why does Maturin fear being recognized by the owner of the Franklin?
(a) He had dealings with the man's sister.
(b) It might compromise his mission.
(c) He owes the man money.
(d) The owner knows Stepen is a drug addict.
5. To whom does Maturin write a lengthy letter?
(a) His wife, Diana.
(b) His daughter.
(c) Sir Joseph, his handler.
(d) His mother.
6. What does Franklin do to lighten her load?
(a) Tosses two cannons over board.
(b) Throws out all the seamen's trunks.
(c) Pumps freshwater into the ocean.
(d) Cuts the rope to the spare anchor.
7. Why has West left the Royal Navy?
(a) He retired.
(b) He wanted to work for himself.
(c) He is disgraced.
(d) He has on temporary assignment with Surprise.
8. What does Maturin conclude about Martin?
(a) Martin thinks he is above the law.
(b) Martin thinks he is a physician.
(c) Martin considers himself unclean with sin.
(d) Martin doesn't see any problem with smoking coca.
9. What does Maturin do when his and Martin's relationship is almost hostile?
(a) He has Franklin's chaplain talk to Martin.
(b) Maturin retires.
(c) He has Martin transferred to Franklin.
(d) He goes to Aubrey.
10. What do the various religious groups' men do when aboard ship?
(a) Worship as Anglicans.
(b) They each have a service once a month.
(c) Don't worship at all.
(d) Each group has a lay minister.
11. What does Aubrey do about Franklin?
(a) Sets up a rescue operation.
(b) Closes in on her and compels her surrender.
(d) Lets her get away.
12. How does Dutourd think Aubrey should consider him?
(a) As a fellow officer.
(b) As a superior.
(c) As a savior of mankind.
(d) As a friend.
13. What does Surprise find out is the source of what was thought to be mortar fire?
(a) A group of meteorites.
(b) Cannon fire from a Spanish galleon.
(c) Firebombs from a volcano.
(d) Fireworks from an island.
14. What kind of plant does Maturin wish to obtain a stock for himself?
(c) Coca leaves.
(d) Acai Berries.
15. What type of religion does Dutourd find most compatible with his philosophies?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maturin write the letter in question #59?
2. How has Franklin's crew weathered the volcanic eruption?
3. What do the religious groups from the town in question #50 hate mutually?
4. What did the woman's presence on board do to the crew?
5. How long does it take for West to recover from his injury?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)