|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maturin avoid Dutourd?
(a) He wants to set a good example.
(b) He might recognize Maturin.
(c) He thinks he is boring.
(d) He has had a bad fight with him.
2. Why does Franklin want to lighten her load?
(a) The main mast is damaged.
(b) To be able to pick up more crew members.
(c) To be able to maneuver better.
(d) To gain more speed.
3. What does Franklin's hold contain?
(a) Salted fish.
(c) Valuable cargo.
(d) Rocks for ballast.
4. What does Aubrey consider the owner of the Franklin to be on Surprise?
(a) Another sailor.
(b) A freeman.
(c) A prisoner.
(d) An esteemed guest.
5. Of what does Vidal complain to Maturin?
(a) Not getting enough pain killers.
(b) Salt sores.
(c) Dutourd's speeches.
(d) Being on the Franklin.
6. Who good is Aubrey at predicting Franklin's movements?
(a) He is not trying to predict Franklin's movements.
(b) With seeming omniscience.
(c) It is hit and miss.
(d) He can't figure out what Franklin is doing at all.
7. What does Aubrey demand of Dutourd?
(a) Dutourd's passport.
(b) Dutourd's bank numbers.
(c) He turn in his sword.
(d) An accounting of Franklin.
8. How does Dutourd think Aubrey should consider him?
(a) As a friend.
(b) As a superior.
(c) As a fellow officer.
(d) As a savior of mankind.
9. Why did Martin spend a lot of time with the woman?
(a) He didn't have a time consuming job on the ship.
(b) He was trying to protect her.
(c) He knew her through his sister.
(d) He was a surgeon's mate and a reverend.
10. What is wrong with most of Franklin's crew who aren't injured?
(a) They don't know how to sail a ship.
(b) They are shell shocked.
(c) They are drunk.
(d) Nothing is wrong with them.
11. What is a particular viewpoint of Dutourd that Maturin attacks during dinner?
(a) His championing of Rosseau.
(b) His scorn of the British nobility.
(c) His idealist feelings about communism.
(d) That he believes humans can establish utopia.
12. What does Maturin do when his and Martin's relationship is almost hostile?
(a) He has Martin transferred to Franklin.
(b) He has Franklin's chaplain talk to Martin.
(c) He goes to Aubrey.
(d) Maturin retires.
13. What does a shot from Franklin do to Surprise?
(a) Brings down some cordage and spars.
(b) Breaks the cargo hatch.
(c) Takes out some of the railing.
(d) Fractures the forecastle mast.
14. What do many of Franklin's crew do about Surprise?
(a) Sabotage the salvage efforts.
(b) Volunteer to serve on Surprise.
(c) Continue to physically fight the Surprise crew.
15. How does the crew of Surprise feel about Aubrey's treatment of Dutourd and the Franklin?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reade do that slows down Surprise?
2. What is happening between Martin and Maturin?
3. How does Martin act with Maturin?
4. What type of religion does Dutourd find most compatible with his philosophies?
5. Why does Aubrey promote two men from the forecastle in Chapter 1?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)