|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dutourd ignore when aboard the Surprise?
(a) What is happening to his crew.
(b) Any questions of his legality.
(c) Naval traditions.
(d) Any request that he work.
2. What does Aubrey do about Franklin?
(a) Closes in on her and compels her surrender.
(b) Sets up a rescue operation.
(d) Lets her get away.
3. What is happening between Martin and Maturin?
(a) They have become lovers.
(b) Nothing is happening between them.
(c) They are having minor difficulties with each other.
(d) They have become sworn enemies.
4. What type of conversations did Martin have with the woman on board the ship?
(a) Lengthy conversations about intimate subjects.
(b) He had no conversations with her.
(c) They talked about his family.
(d) They have conversations about science.
5. To where does Maturin want to travel?
(a) San Francisco.
6. What does Aubrey consider the owner of the Franklin to be on Surprise?
(a) An esteemed guest.
(b) A prisoner.
(c) A freeman.
(d) Another sailor.
7. How has Franklin's crew weathered the volcanic eruption?
(a) Many deaths and severe injuries.
(b) They were far enough away to suffer little effects.
(c) The entire crew except the owner and four others are dead.
(d) Some injuries and a couple of deaths.
8. What does Aubrey think weather and sea conditions might mean?
(a) The wind will stop.
(b) It will be a full moon that night.
(c) A bad storm is coming.
(d) He doesn't know.
9. What does Maturin see Martin doing in sick bay?
(a) Taking some pain killers.
(b) Mixing a dose of medicine.
(c) Treating a patient.
(d) Smoking coca leaves.
10. How are the winds behaving by the end of Chapter 1?
(a) They are coming from all four directions.
(c) Strong, steady wind.
11. Two subjects that the religious groups from the town in question #50 are at odds about are ____________________.
(a) Taxes and war.
(b) Infant baptism and polygamy.
(c) Polygamy and drinking alcoholic beverages.
(d) Pre-marital sex and war.
12. What does Aubrey demand of Dutourd?
(a) An accounting of Franklin.
(b) He turn in his sword.
(c) Dutourd's passport.
(d) Dutourd's bank numbers.
13. Why do Martin and Maturin go aboard the Franklin?
(a) To administer medical aid.
(b) To say burial services.
(c) They didn't go aboard the Franklin.
(d) To resupply their medicines.
14. What main part of Franklin do the carpenters have to replace?
(a) The forecastle.
(b) The rudder.
(c) The mast.
(d) The bow spars.
15. For whom is Aubrey making sea observations?
(a) The Royal Navy.
(b) Alexander von Humboldt.
(c) No one.
(d) John Newton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had smuggled a woman aboard the Surprise a few months previous?
2. To what position is Henry Vidal promoted?
3. Why does Maturin write the letter in question #59?
4. What does Martin do that is noticeable to Maturin?
5. To whom does Maturin write a lengthy letter?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)