|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Martin spend a lot of time with the woman?
(a) He was a surgeon's mate and a reverend.
(b) He didn't have a time consuming job on the ship.
(c) He was trying to protect her.
(d) He knew her through his sister.
2. What does Maturin do when his and Martin's relationship is almost hostile?
(a) He has Franklin's chaplain talk to Martin.
(b) He has Martin transferred to Franklin.
(c) Maturin retires.
(d) He goes to Aubrey.
3. What does Aubrey demand of Dutourd?
(a) Dutourd's bank numbers.
(b) Dutourd's passport.
(c) An accounting of Franklin.
(d) He turn in his sword.
4. What is wrong with most of Franklin's crew who aren't injured?
(a) They don't know how to sail a ship.
(b) They are drunk.
(c) Nothing is wrong with them.
(d) They are shell shocked.
5. Of what does Vidal complain to Maturin?
(a) Being on the Franklin.
(b) Not getting enough pain killers.
(c) Salt sores.
(d) Dutourd's speeches.
6. Who had smuggled a woman aboard the Surprise a few months previous?
(a) One of the officers.
(d) A midshipman.
7. What type of conversations did Martin have with the woman on board the ship?
(a) They have conversations about science.
(b) Lengthy conversations about intimate subjects.
(c) He had no conversations with her.
(d) They talked about his family.
8. What does Reade do that slows down Surprise?
(a) Puts his foot through the main sail.
(b) Accidentally drops the anchor.
(c) Falls overboard.
(d) Cuts the main spar.
9. What does Aubrey think weather and sea conditions might mean?
(a) He doesn't know.
(b) A bad storm is coming.
(c) It will be a full moon that night.
(d) The wind will stop.
10. What do the religious groups from the town in question #50 hate mutually?
(a) Sheep farms.
(b) The British government.
(c) Imposed tithes.
11. What does Dutourd act like on the Surprise?
(a) Like Aubrey's esteemed guest.
(b) As if he has never been on a boat before.
(c) As if all his paperwork was in order.
(d) Like he is captain of the Surprise.
12. What is happening between Martin and Maturin?
(a) They have become sworn enemies.
(b) Nothing is happening between them.
(c) They have become lovers.
(d) They are having minor difficulties with each other.
13. From what town do many of the Surprise's old hands come?
(c) New Haven.
14. How does Dutourd feel when he is summoned by Aubrey?
15. Two subjects that the religious groups from the town in question #50 are at odds about are ____________________.
(a) Infant baptism and polygamy.
(b) Taxes and war.
(c) Pre-marital sex and war.
(d) Polygamy and drinking alcoholic beverages.
Short Answer Questions
1. How have the crew members of the Franklin acquired skin lesions?
2. Where did the owner of Franklin plan to go when he left Europe?
3. What is the name of the woman who was hidden on the ship?
4. What has risen from the sea in the region where Surprise is sailing?
5. How has Franklin's crew weathered the volcanic eruption?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)