|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Two subjects that the religious groups from the town in question #50 are at odds about are ____________________.
(a) Pre-marital sex and war.
(b) Polygamy and drinking alcoholic beverages.
(c) Taxes and war.
(d) Infant baptism and polygamy.
2. Why does Aubrey promote two men from the forecastle in Chapter 1?
(a) To replace losses.
(b) They saved the ship.
(c) He had to leave some crew ashore.
(d) He likes both of the men.
3. What does Dutourd ignore when aboard the Surprise?
(a) Naval traditions.
(b) Any request that he work.
(c) Any questions of his legality.
(d) What is happening to his crew.
4. Why does Franklin want to lighten her load?
(a) To be able to pick up more crew members.
(b) To gain more speed.
(c) To be able to maneuver better.
(d) The main mast is damaged.
5. What is the worst situation on Franklin?
(a) All the sails have holes in them from the ash.
(b) Main mast is gone.
(c) There is a large hole below the waterline.
(d) No fresh water.
6. What does Aubrey demand of Dutourd?
(a) Dutourd's passport.
(b) He turn in his sword.
(c) An accounting of Franklin.
(d) Dutourd's bank numbers.
7. To where does Maturin want to travel?
(c) San Francisco.
8. What do many of Franklin's crew do about Surprise?
(a) Volunteer to serve on Surprise.
(c) Continue to physically fight the Surprise crew.
(d) Sabotage the salvage efforts.
9. What injures some crew members at the end of Chapter 1?`
(a) A loose spar sail.
(b) Peculiar mortar fire.
(c) A wave that fell on the deck.
(d) Cannon shot from Franklin.
10. Who is Surprise's first lieutenant?
(a) Tom Pullings.
(b) Paul West.
(c) Tom Grainger.
(d) Sam Norton.
11. What kind of plant does Maturin wish to obtain a stock for himself?
(c) Coca leaves.
(d) Acai Berries.
12. What does the British want to happen in South America?
(b) To annex some of South America as British colonies.
(c) Exclusive trade rights set up.
(d) Spanish colonies rebel.
13. Where did the owner of Franklin plan to go when he left Europe?
14. What did the woman's presence on board do to the crew?
(a) Cause a lot of physical violence.
(b) Ruined morale.
(c) Did not affect the crew at all.
(d) Made the crew fearful because woman are bad luck on ships.
15. How have the crew members of the Franklin acquired skin lesions?
(a) They don't have skin lesions.
(b) Not enough Vitamin C.
(c) Stiff and salty clothing.
(d) Wearing pants made of sail canvas.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the crew of Surprise feel about Aubrey's treatment of Dutourd and the Franklin?
2. Why did Martin spend a lot of time with the woman?
3. What does a shot from Franklin do to Surprise?
4. What floats around Surprise in the ocean?
5. Who is the owner of Franklin?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)