|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strange part of her anatomy does Malto Kano reveal in Chapter 30?
2. In Chapter 37, what has happens to Noboru Wataya in real life?
3. What does May think she hears at the end of Chapter 36?
4. Where are Toru and May Kasahara as they talk in Chapter 39?
5. What company purchase at a local high-end hotel is mentioned with particular gravity in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. What offer does Noboru Wataya make Toru Okada in Chapter 13?
2. How does Nutmeg's marriage end in Chapter 20?
3. Describe Cinnamon.
4. What does the tabloid in Chapter 21 determine about the dummy corporation that owns the hanging house?
5. What sad reality does May Kasahara admit to in Chapter 18's letter?
6. What problem does Ushikawa admit with Kumiko's meeting Toru, and how does he solve it in Chapter 19?
7. What plans do most women in May Kasahara's factory have?
8. What does the boy in Chapter 11 find in the bag and what does he do with it?
9. What does Toru realize about his marriage to Kumiko in Chapter 34?
10. Describe Mamiya's assassination attempt on Boris in Chapter 32.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreams play a key role in the advancing of plot in Murakami's novel. Write an essay, discussing the role that dreams play in Toru Okada's journey. Who does he meet while in a dream state? What new information does he gain from these dreams? Write a paragraph about each type of dream the Toru has over the course of the novel. As a conclusion, discuss whether the dream-world of the novel has any concrete bearing on the waking world.
Essay Topic 2
A major theme of Murakami's novel is personal reinvention, and this reinvention is often made most explicit in characters who choose to rename themselves and others. Write an essay about characters in the novel who choose to change names, focusing on three instances. What events transpire that precipitate this change? What is the nature of the change? Is the change permanent? Conclude each paragraph by stating the essential thematic purpose for this change in name.
Part 1) Toru Okada, when speaking with May Kasahara.
Part 2) Malta and Creta Kano.
Part 3) Toru Okada's cat.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Nutmeg and Cinnamon. What is their function within the novel? Begin the essay by discussing their lives before meeting Toru Okada and how Nutmeg comes to be fascinated with the protagonist. What about the mother and son makes them unusual and eccentric? In the final paragraph, discuss the possibility that Cinnamon is the author of the novel. What is on his computer that would lead a reader to this conclusion?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)