|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprising bit of information does Malta Kano reveal about Creta Kano in Chapter 30?
2. How does Kumiko instruct Toru to think of her in Chapter 22?
3. Near the end of Chapter 18, May says that she woke up one day discovered what?
4. From where is the sound of sleigh bells coming in Chapter 25?
5. Whose voice does Toru Okada hear at the beginning of Chapter 34?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Toru overcome Noboru Wataya in Chapter 35?
2. What does May Kasahara remember about the Myawaki's in Chapter 28?
3. What does Toru realize about his marriage to Kumiko in Chapter 34?
4. How does Lieutenant Mamiya meet Boris the Manskinner for the second time?
5. How does May Kasahara express her attitude to her wigs in Chapter 15?
6. What plan does Kumiko reveal in Chapter 17?
7. What plans do most women in May Kasahara's factory have?
8. In Chapter 22, what does Kumiko say about her current state of mind?
9. What new offer does Ushikawa make to Toru Okada in Chapter 16?
10. How does Toru Okada's opinion of his wife change over the course of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about Nutmeg and Cinnamon. What is their function within the novel? Begin the essay by discussing their lives before meeting Toru Okada and how Nutmeg comes to be fascinated with the protagonist. What about the mother and son makes them unusual and eccentric? In the final paragraph, discuss the possibility that Cinnamon is the author of the novel. What is on his computer that would lead a reader to this conclusion?
Essay Topic 2
Lieutenant Mamiya has perhaps the most extended personal narrative of the novel after Toru Okada. By the end of the novel, we know exactly what happened to Mamiya, in detail during the war. Write an essay, beginning with an overview of the travails this man faced in China, Mongolia, and Eastern Russia. ow did he survive, and what malicious figure continued to cross paths with him? What experience did Mamiya have in the war that was similar to Toru's? In conclusion, how is Mamiya's life a warning to Toru?
Essay Topic 3
Dreams play a key role in the advancing of plot in Murakami's novel. Write an essay, discussing the role that dreams play in Toru Okada's journey. Who does he meet while in a dream state? What new information does he gain from these dreams? Write a paragraph about each type of dream the Toru has over the course of the novel. As a conclusion, discuss whether the dream-world of the novel has any concrete bearing on the waking world.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)