|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is May Kasahara's family when Toru visits in Chapter 15?
2. What is the only piece of information printed on the card that the woman gives Toru in Chapter 2?
3. What is Toru Okada's duty working with May Kasahara in Chapter 9?
4. What similarity exists between the veterinarian in Chapter 9 and Toru Okada?
5. What does Creta Kano cook for breakfast in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Kumiko and Toru Okada's first date.
2. What is the Clumsy Massacre of Chapter 9?
3. What information does Malt Kano provide Toru Okada in their first meeting in Chapter 3?
4. How does the infant Nutmeg nearly killed in the story of Chapter 9?
5. What happens when Toru goes to the appointed address in Chapter 4?
6. Why is a local tabloid so concerned with the the Miyawaki house in Chapter 7?
7. What two requests does Creta Kano make of Toru Okada in Chapter 14 and how does he respond?
8. Describe Toru Okada's dream at the end of Chapter 16?
9. How does Kumiko explain her own disappearance in her letter of Chapter 11?
10. What does Toru Okada discover while shaving in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is a n example of magical realist literature. In it, the fantastical and the realistic intermingle without indication that this is strange in any way. Write an essay about this intermingling, using Toru Okada as a surrogate for the reader. What fantastical events does Toru experience, and how does he react to them? Is he shocked, or are they seamlessly integrated into the rest of his life? What function do these events serve in his day to day existence?
Essay Topic 2
Lieutenant Mamiya has perhaps the most extended personal narrative of the novel after Toru Okada. By the end of the novel, we know exactly what happened to Mamiya, in detail during the war. Write an essay, beginning with an overview of the travails this man faced in China, Mongolia, and Eastern Russia. ow did he survive, and what malicious figure continued to cross paths with him? What experience did Mamiya have in the war that was similar to Toru's? In conclusion, how is Mamiya's life a warning to Toru?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Nutmeg and Cinnamon. What is their function within the novel? Begin the essay by discussing their lives before meeting Toru Okada and how Nutmeg comes to be fascinated with the protagonist. What about the mother and son makes them unusual and eccentric? In the final paragraph, discuss the possibility that Cinnamon is the author of the novel. What is on his computer that would lead a reader to this conclusion?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)