|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For much of Chapter 6, Nutmeg goes shopping with Toru for what?
2. Where does Toru Okada find his necktie in Chapter 4?
3. What does Toru admit to May Kasahara in Chapter 10?
4. What dangerous animal survives the massacre in Chapter 9?
5. Where is the zoo mentioned in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nutmeg.
2. What information does Malt Kano provide Toru Okada in their first meeting in Chapter 3?
3. What is the Clumsy Massacre of Chapter 9?
4. Describe Toru Okada's life at the beginning of the novel.
5. Why does Creta Kano become a prostitute?
6. Why does Toru Okada stay in the well longer than he intended?
7. How does pain return to Creta Kano's life?
8. Describe the interchange Toru has with the woman on the bench in Chapter 2?
9. What painful admission does May Kasahara make in Chapter 15?
10. Why is Lieutenant Mamiya uncomfortable with his mission with Yanamoto?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, beginning even with its title, is a novel that draws mystically from the animal world. Animals serve as harbingers and, to some extent, good-will ambassadors. Write an essay on the roles of three animals in the book. How is each animal introduced? What is its purpose, and how does this purpose become clear by the end of the novel? Does the appearance of this animal have positive or negative connotations?
Part 1) The ducks by May Kasahara's factory
Part 2) Toru's cat
Part 3) The Wind-Up Bird
Essay Topic 2
Haruki Murakami's novels almost always involve grown men who have not fully developed emotionally and several strong-willed women who force them to question their world-views. Write an essay about Toru Okada's relationship with the women of the novel. How is Toru's emotional growth stunted at the beginning of the novel? What shattering event forces him from his torpor at the beginning of the novel? Choose three women who enter his life after this event and discuss their relationship to him.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Nutmeg and Cinnamon. What is their function within the novel? Begin the essay by discussing their lives before meeting Toru Okada and how Nutmeg comes to be fascinated with the protagonist. What about the mother and son makes them unusual and eccentric? In the final paragraph, discuss the possibility that Cinnamon is the author of the novel. What is on his computer that would lead a reader to this conclusion?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)