|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the veterinarian worrying about at the beginning of Chapter 26?
(a) The elephants.
(b) The approaching Russian army.
(c) His wife and child.
(d) His health.
2. How does the lieutenant execute the last of the prisoners in Chapter 26?
(a) He burns him alive.
(b) He skins him alive.
(c) He shoots him.
(d) He beats him to death.
3. In Chapter 28, what type of lessons does May Kasahara remember the Miyawaki girl taking?
4. Why is Mamiya initially unable to shoot Boris in Chapter 32?
(a) He has no bullets.
(b) He lasks the resolve.
(c) Boris disarms him.
(d) His gun jams.
5. What are the prisoners that the young lieutenant escorts wearing in Chapter 26?
(a) Civilian clothes.
(b) Dress military uniforms.
(d) Baseball uniforms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first order that the Lieutenant gives the prisoners upon arriving at the zoo?
2. Who warns Toru that his life is in danger in Chapter 33?
3. What decision has Cinnamon made regarding the business in Chapter 24?
4. Why is Mamiya eventually released from the prison camp in Chapter 32?
5. According to Toru in Chapter 23, how are Cinnamon's grandfather and Lt. Mamiya connected?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the boy in Chapter 11 find in the bag and what does he do with it?
2. What circle of connections does Toru Okada uncover in Chapter 23?
3. How does Toru Okada's opinion of his wife change over the course of the novel?
4. What sad reality does May Kasahara admit to in Chapter 18's letter?
5. What does the tabloid in Chapter 21 determine about the dummy corporation that owns the hanging house?
6. How does Toru overcome Noboru Wataya in Chapter 35?
7. How does May Kasahar's worldview change in Chapter 36?
8. What does Toru do after Nutmeg and Cinnamon stop coming to the residence?
9. What offer does Noboru Wataya make Toru Okada in Chapter 13?
10. Who does M consult a healer in Chapter 12?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)