|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprising bit of information does Malta Kano reveal about Creta Kano in Chapter 30?
(a) She does not exist.
(b) She has died.
(c) She has a baby.
(d) She has left for Crete.
2. In Chapter 38, what choice of hers does Kumiko blame on her brother's sins?
(a) Leaving school.
(b) Marrying Toru.
(c) Cheating on Toru.
(d) Becoming an alcholic.
3. How does Ushikawa describe the work he does from Noboru Wataya?
(a) Odd jobs.
(b) Dirty jobs.
(c) Shadow jobs.
(d) Hands-on jobs.
4. What word do May's parents have to explain to her regarding the Miyawakis in Chapter 28?
5. What advise does Mamiya leave Toru with in Chapter 32?
(a) Forget the past.
(b) Live without regret.
(c) Find love.
(d) Remember those who fought and died.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Yoshitaka Wataya?
2. Who warns Toru that his life is in danger in Chapter 33?
3. Where is Nutmeg's husband murdered?
4. What does Toru do in Chapter 29 when he tires of going to the well?
5. In Chapter 20, what does Nutmeg's mother sell in order to enroll her daughter in fashion school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What circle of connections does Toru Okada uncover in Chapter 23?
2. What two bits of strange information does Malta Kano provide Toru in Chapter 30?
3. In Chapter 22, what does Kumiko say about her current state of mind?
4. What problem does Ushikawa admit with Kumiko's meeting Toru, and how does he solve it in Chapter 19?
5. Who does M consult a healer in Chapter 12?
6. What plans do most women in May Kasahara's factory have?
7. Describe Mamiya's assassination attempt on Boris in Chapter 32.
8. What does Toru realize about his marriage to Kumiko in Chapter 34?
9. What does May Kasahara remember about the Myawaki's in Chapter 28?
10. How does Nutmeg's marriage end in Chapter 20?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)