|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Toru's Chapter 8 dream take place?
(a) A ballroom.
(b) His house.
(c) A hotel.
(d) A fancy restaurant.
2. Why does Toru's uncle suggest he look up Mr. Ichikawa in Chapter 12?
(a) He has a package for Toru.
(b) He has been asking for Toru.
(c) They were friends in school.
(d) He knows the neighborhood.
3. In a reminiscence in Chapter 9, why does Kumiko refuse to speak to Toru Okada for three days?
(a) He quits his job.
(b) He breaks a family heirloom.
(c) She gives no reason.
(d) He almost cheats on her.
4. What does Toru find in the envelope the silent boy gives him?
(b) Kumiko's wedding ring.
(c) A photo of him in Creta Kano.
(d) The deed to the Miyawki house.
5. Who is the protagonist of Chapter 3?
(b) A young boy.
(c) A fighter pilot in World War II.
(d) An elderly man.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does May Kasahara castigate Toru Okada in Chapter 5?
2. What does Malta Kano do on her international travels?
3. How does the actress in the Miyawaki house kill herself?
4. Who pulls the rope ladder up from the well in Chapter 9?
5. Who tells the story of the massacre in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does May Kasahar's worldview change in Chapter 36?
2. How is Toru implicated in an assassination attempt in Chapter 33?
3. What does the boy in Chapter 11 find in the bag and what does he do with it?
4. What story about a house in Koru Okada's neighborhood does his uncle tell in Chapter 10?
5. How does pain return to Creta Kano's life?
6. Describe Toru Okada's dream in Chapter 2.
7. What does Toru Okada discover while shaving in Chapter 12?
8. What is the Clumsy Massacre of Chapter 9?
9. What offer does Noboru Wataya make Toru Okada in Chapter 13?
10. How does Nutmeg's marriage end in Chapter 20?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)