|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Toru Okada rationalize his wife's curtness to him in Chapter 2?
(a) She is a woman.
(b) She had a bad day at work.
(c) She has PMS.
(d) She thinks he is a failure.
2. What town is Toru Okada in when Kumiko call to tell him she had an abortion?
3. What horrific action does the man with the guitar case undertake in Toru's dream in Chapter 16?
(a) He sets himself on fire.
(b) He drowns himself.
(c) He skins himself.
(d) He castrates himself.
4. What code name is used in Chapter 7 to refer tot he owner of the "hanging house"?
(a) The Super.
(c) Mr. X.
5. Why can the protagonist clearly see two figures in the night in Chapter 3?
(a) He can see in the dark.
(b) The figures are glowing.
(c) It is a full moon.
(d) There are street lamps illuminating the area.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Creta Kano explain her lack of clothes in the beginning of Chapter 13?
2. What does the shorter of the two men in Chapter 3 do while the protagonist watches?
3. What does Malta Kano assure Toru Okada that he will find at the end of their meeting?
4. Where does Toru's Chapter 8 dream take place?
5. In a reminiscence in Chapter 9, why does Kumiko refuse to speak to Toru Okada for three days?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nutmeg.
2. Describe Toru Okada's dream at the end of Chapter 16?
3. Describe Toru Okada's life at the beginning of the novel.
4. Why are the Okadas estranged from the Watayas?
5. What painful admission does May Kasahara make in Chapter 15?
6. What happens when Toru goes to the appointed address in Chapter 4?
7. What two requests does Creta Kano make of Toru Okada in Chapter 14 and how does he respond?
8. Describe Kumiko and Toru Okada's first date.
9. Why does Toru Okada choose to go into the well behind the old Miyawaki house?
10. What does Toru Okada discover while shaving in Chapter 12?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)