|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the protagonist of Chapter 3?
(a) A fighter pilot in World War II.
(b) An elderly man.
(c) A young boy.
2. What does Malta Kano do on her international travels?
(a) Give public demonstrations of her abilities.
(b) Sample water.
(c) Make psychic house calls.
(d) Attend conferences.
3. For what type of business does May Kasahara administer surveys?
(a) A restaurant chain.
(b) A pachinko parlor.
(c) A law office.
(d) A wig factory.
4. How did May Kasahara cause her boyfriend's death?
(a) She ran him over with a car.
(b) She stabbed him with a fake sword.
(c) She covered his eyes on a motorcycle.
(d) She pushed him over a bridge guardrail.
5. How does May's visit to the bottom of the well affect her self image?
(a) She is perpetually angry.
(b) She is less sure of herself.
(c) She cannot stop crying.
(d) She is more happy than usual.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Toru Okada's duty working with May Kasahara in Chapter 9?
2. In a reminiscence in Chapter 9, why does Kumiko refuse to speak to Toru Okada for three days?
3. What similarity exists between the veterinarian in Chapter 9 and Toru Okada?
4. In Chapter 7, what comes and goes from the "hanging house" with odd regularity?
5. What does the shorter of the two men in Chapter 3 do while the protagonist watches?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Koru and Kumiko Okada meet with Mr. Honda?
2. In the story of Chapter 13, why does the Russian commander choose not to kill Lieutenant Mamiya?
3. Describe Kumiko and Toru Okada's first date.
4. Why are the Okadas estranged from the Watayas?
5. Describe Nutmeg.
6. How does May Kasahara describe her situation in Chapter 5?
7. What is the Clumsy Massacre of Chapter 9?
8. What two requests does Creta Kano make of Toru Okada in Chapter 14 and how does he respond?
9. What painful admission does May Kasahara make in Chapter 15?
10. What happens when Toru goes to the appointed address in Chapter 4?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)