|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Toru find in the envelope the silent boy gives him?
(b) Kumiko's wedding ring.
(c) A photo of him in Creta Kano.
(d) The deed to the Miyawki house.
2. In Chapter 8, how does Creta Kano say she eventually managed to pay off her debts?
(a) She won the lottery.
(b) She went to work for her sister.
(c) She became a prostitute.
(d) She sold her family house.
3. What does the factory where May Kasahara works produce?
(a) Computer chips.
4. How does May Kasahara describe her love life in Chapter 5?
(a) She has a boyfriend.
(b) She is engaged.
(c) She refuses to date.
(d) She has been on one date.
5. What similarity exists between the veterinarian in Chapter 9 and Toru Okada?
(a) They both have a blue mark.
(b) They both have been left by their wives.
(c) They are both the same height.
(d) They both spend time in dry wells.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, Lieutenant Mamiya describes a secret mission he and Honda were a part of. What country did this mission illegally enter?
2. Who saves Lieutenant Mamiya from the dry well where the Mongolian soldiers leave him?
3. Who chooses the pseudonyms Nutmeg and Cinnamon?
4. What object does Toru Okada discover in the well in Chapter 8?
5. In his letter in Chapter 4, Mamiya says that - when he was at the bottom of the well in Mongolia - he believes something what living in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nutmeg.
2. Describe Toru Okada's dream in Chapter 2.
3. How does pain return to Creta Kano's life?
4. What strange event happens involving a bar folk singer in Chapter 7?
5. What two requests does Creta Kano make of Toru Okada in Chapter 14 and how does he respond?
6. What does Toru Okada discover while shaving in Chapter 12?
7. What does the unnamed boy see in Chapter 3?
8. Why are the Okadas estranged from the Watayas?
9. How does the infant Nutmeg nearly killed in the story of Chapter 9?
10. What painful admission does May Kasahara make in Chapter 15?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)