|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the actress in the Miyawaki house kill herself?
(a) She takes pills.
(b) She shoots herself.
(c) She hangs herself.
(d) She drowns herself.
2. In Chapter 12, Lieutenant Mamiya describes a secret mission he and Honda were a part of. What country did this mission illegally enter?
3. In Chapter 14, Creta Kano states that she now considers her physically numb state from before she met Noboru Wataya to be what?
(a) A perfect state.
(b) A transitional state.
(c) A dream state.
(d) A deluded state.
4. According to Toru's uncle in Chapter 13, how did Mr. Miyawaki lose all of his money?
(a) A crippling drug addiction.
(b) Opening a failed restaurant.
(c) A bad stock deal.
(d) A run on his bank.
5. Why can the protagonist clearly see two figures in the night in Chapter 3?
(a) He can see in the dark.
(b) It is a full moon.
(c) The figures are glowing.
(d) There are street lamps illuminating the area.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does May Kasahara castigate Toru Okada in Chapter 5?
2. When Toru Okada is certain Kumiko is gone at the beginning of Book 2, what does he discover she has taken with her?
3. How does May's visit to the bottom of the well affect her self image?
4. In a reminiscence in Chapter 9, why does Kumiko refuse to speak to Toru Okada for three days?
5. Who is the protagonist of Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Koru and Kumiko Okada meet with Mr. Honda?
2. Describe Toru Okada's life at the beginning of the novel.
3. Describe Nutmeg.
4. What two requests does Creta Kano make of Toru Okada in Chapter 14 and how does he respond?
5. Why does Toru Okada choose to go into the well behind the old Miyawaki house?
6. What is the Clumsy Massacre of Chapter 9?
7. Why does Toru Okada stay in the well longer than he intended?
8. What does Noboru Wataya want to say to Toru Okada in Chapter 3?
9. Describe the interchange Toru has with the woman on the bench in Chapter 2?
10. Why is a local tabloid so concerned with the the Miyawaki house in Chapter 7?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)