|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When dis Koru and Kumiko Okada stop taking to Kumiko's parents?
(a) After Kumiko's sister died.
(b) After Koru quit his job.
(c) After Noburu Wataya began chieving success.
(d) After Koru had a fight with her father.
2. What sensation is Creta Kano surprised to feel when Noboru Wataya has sex with her?
3. What era does Creta Kano's style of dress remind Toru Okada of?
(a) The 1920's.
(b) The early 1980's.
(c) The Victorian Era.
(d) The 1960's
4. How does Toru Okada rationalize his wife's curtness to him in Chapter 2?
(a) She thinks he is a failure.
(b) She had a bad day at work.
(c) She has PMS.
(d) She is a woman.
5. How long ago was the last time Noboru Wataya and Toru Okada met as of Chapter 3?
(a) One year.
(b) Five months.
(c) Three years.
(d) Six years.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, Creta Kano states that she now considers her physically numb state from before she met Noboru Wataya to be what?
2. In Chapter 12, Lieutenant Mamiya describes a secret mission he and Honda were a part of. What country did this mission illegally enter?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what does Toru remember doing with his father as a child?
4. What does Toru Okada rename his cat in Chapter 6?
5. In his letter in Chapter 4, Mamiya says that - when he was at the bottom of the well in Mongolia - he believes something what living in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does pain return to Creta Kano's life?
2. What strange event happens involving a bar folk singer in Chapter 7?
3. Describe Toru Okada's life at the beginning of the novel.
4. Why does Toru Okada stay in the well longer than he intended?
5. Describe Kumiko and Toru Okada's first date.
6. Why is a local tabloid so concerned with the the Miyawaki house in Chapter 7?
7. What does the unnamed boy see in Chapter 3?
8. Describe the marital tiff the Okada's have as related in Chapter 9?
9. What is the Clumsy Massacre of Chapter 9?
10. What painful admission does May Kasahara make in Chapter 15?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)