|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does May's visit to the bottom of the well affect her self image?
(a) She is more happy than usual.
(b) She is perpetually angry.
(c) She cannot stop crying.
(d) She is less sure of herself.
2. Who pulls the rope ladder up from the well in Chapter 9?
(a) Toru's uncle.
(b) May Kasahara.
(d) Malta Kano.
3. Who calls Toru Okada in Chapter 11 immediately before the arrive of Lieutenant Mamiya?
(a) The mysterious woman.
(b) May Kasahara.
(c) Malta Kano.
4. What code name is used in Chapter 7 to refer tot he owner of the "hanging house"?
(b) Mr. X.
(c) The Super.
5. What career advice does Toru Okada recall Mr. Honda giving in Chapter 4?
(a) He should start showing up late to work.
(b) He should become a public defender.
(c) He should ask for a raise.
(d) He should quit law.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who eventually rescues Toru from the well?
2. In a letter Toru receives in Chapter 11, who does Kumiko say she is having an affair with?
3. What does Toru Okada rename his cat in Chapter 6?
4. What does the factory where May Kasahara works produce?
5. In Chapter 16, Toru and the man with the guitar case fight with what weapon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lieutenant Mamiya uncomfortable with his mission with Yanamoto?
2. Describe Toru Okada's dream in Chapter 2.
3. How does pain return to Creta Kano's life?
4. Why does Toru Okada stay in the well longer than he intended?
5. Describe Toru Okada's life at the beginning of the novel.
6. What does the unnamed boy see in Chapter 3?
7. Describe Toru Okada's dream at the end of Chapter 16?
8. What story about a house in Koru Okada's neighborhood does his uncle tell in Chapter 10?
9. What happens when Toru goes to the appointed address in Chapter 4?
10. Why do Koru and Kumiko Okada meet with Mr. Honda?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)