|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Malta Kano assure Toru Okada that he will find at the end of their meeting?
(a) A new house.
(b) A job.
(c) His tie.
(d) His cat.
2. What remembrance from the dead Honda does Lieutenant Mamiya give Toru Okada at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) A war medal.
(b) A bayonet.
(c) A pair of spectacles.
(d) An empty box.
3. What code name is used in Chapter 7 to refer tot he owner of the "hanging house"?
(c) Mr. X.
(d) The Super.
4. In Lieutenant Mamiya's story of Chapter 12, what does Yanamoto tell Lieutenant Mamiya he must do if they are captured?
(a) Destroy his personal documents.
(b) Kill Yanamoto.
(c) Flee back into China.
(d) Fight to the death.
5. In his letter in Chapter 4, Mamiya says that - when he was at the bottom of the well in Mongolia - he believes something what living in what?
(a) The light.
(b) The silence.
(c) The solitude.
(d) The damp.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Toru Okada rationalize his wife's curtness to him in Chapter 2?
2. Who is the protagonist of Chapter 3?
3. In a letter Toru receives in Chapter 11, who does Kumiko say she is having an affair with?
4. What does Toru Okada rename his cat in Chapter 6?
5. What era does Creta Kano's style of dress remind Toru Okada of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does pain return to Creta Kano's life?
2. What does the unnamed boy see in Chapter 3?
3. What story about a house in Koru Okada's neighborhood does his uncle tell in Chapter 10?
4. Why are the Okadas estranged from the Watayas?
5. What painful admission does May Kasahara make in Chapter 15?
6. What information does Malt Kano provide Toru Okada in their first meeting in Chapter 3?
7. Describe the marital tiff the Okada's have as related in Chapter 9?
8. Describe Kumiko and Toru Okada's first date.
9. What does Toru Okada discover while shaving in Chapter 12?
10. What strange event happens involving a bar folk singer in Chapter 7?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)