|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Toru Okada rationalize his wife's curtness to him in Chapter 2?
(a) She is a woman.
(b) She thinks he is a failure.
(c) She had a bad day at work.
(d) She has PMS.
2. When Toru Okada is certain Kumiko is gone at the beginning of Book 2, what does he discover she has taken with her?
(a) All her shoes and dresses.
(c) Her check-book.
(d) Their wedding album.
3. In Chapter 14, Creta Kano states that she now considers her physically numb state from before she met Noboru Wataya to be what?
(a) A transitional state.
(b) A perfect state.
(c) A dream state.
(d) A deluded state.
4. What does Toru Okada rename his cat in Chapter 6?
5. Why does Mamiya say he is no longer afraid of dying?
(a) His life is an empty shell.
(b) He has seen far worse deaths than his can ever be.
(c) He has lived a full life.
(d) Honda has told him the manner and time of his death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is May Kasahara's family when Toru visits in Chapter 15?
2. In Chapter 8, how does Creta Kano say she eventually managed to pay off her debts?
3. What town is Toru Okada in when Kumiko call to tell him she had an abortion?
4. What dangerous animal survives the massacre in Chapter 9?
5. What tune is the waiter whistling in Toru's Chapter 8 dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Toru Okada's dream in Chapter 2.
2. How does the infant Nutmeg nearly killed in the story of Chapter 9?
3. What financial decision does Toru Okada make at the beginning of Book 3?
4. Describe the marital tiff the Okada's have as related in Chapter 9?
5. What does Toru Okada discover while shaving in Chapter 12?
6. What does Noboru Wataya want to say to Toru Okada in Chapter 3?
7. What strange event happens involving a bar folk singer in Chapter 7?
8. What two requests does Creta Kano make of Toru Okada in Chapter 14 and how does he respond?
9. Why does Toru Okada choose to go into the well behind the old Miyawaki house?
10. What painful admission does May Kasahara make in Chapter 15?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)