|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What dangerous animal survives the massacre in Chapter 9?
2. Where does Toru Okada find his necktie in Chapter 4?
(a) His neighbor's house.
(b) The dry cleaners.
(c) His work items that he packed.
(d) The street.
3. How does Creta Kano explain her lack of clothes in the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) She wants Toru to see her body.
(b) She gave them to a homeless woman.
(c) She likes being naked.
(d) She lost them.
4. What is the style of writing that Chapter 7 is supposed to be?
(a) A journal.
(b) A research paper.
(c) A letter.
(d) An article.
5. What is the only piece of information printed on the card that the woman gives Toru in Chapter 2?
(a) A name.
(b) An address.
(c) A title.
(d) A phone number.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Toru Okada never met Kumiko's sister?
2. For much of Chapter 6, Nutmeg goes shopping with Toru for what?
3. In Lieutenant Mamiya's story of Chapter 12, what does Yanamoto tell Lieutenant Mamiya he must do if they are captured?
4. For what type of business does May Kasahara administer surveys?
5. In Chapter 12, Lieutenant Mamiya describes a secret mission he and Honda were a part of. What country did this mission illegally enter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plans do most women in May Kasahara's factory have?
2. What information does Malt Kano provide Toru Okada in their first meeting in Chapter 3?
3. What does Toru do after Nutmeg and Cinnamon stop coming to the residence?
4. What does the tabloid in Chapter 21 determine about the dummy corporation that owns the hanging house?
5. How does the infant Nutmeg nearly killed in the story of Chapter 9?
6. What questions about The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle does Toru have in Chapter 27?
7. What war atrocity occurs in Chapter 26's story?
8. Describe the marital tiff the Okada's have as related in Chapter 9?
9. Why are the Okadas estranged from the Watayas?
10. How does Toru Okada's opinion of his wife change over the course of the novel?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)