|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Malta Kano do on her international travels?
(a) Give public demonstrations of her abilities.
(b) Attend conferences.
(c) Sample water.
(d) Make psychic house calls.
2. Why does Mamiya say he is no longer afraid of dying?
(a) Honda has told him the manner and time of his death.
(b) He has lived a full life.
(c) His life is an empty shell.
(d) He has seen far worse deaths than his can ever be.
3. After how many days of people-watching does Toru Okada see the man with the guitar case?
4. What sensation is Creta Kano surprised to feel when Noboru Wataya has sex with her?
5. In Chapter 8, how does Creta Kano say she eventually managed to pay off her debts?
(a) She went to work for her sister.
(b) She became a prostitute.
(c) She sold her family house.
(d) She won the lottery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Kumiko and Toru Okada meet for their first date?
2. In the beginning of Book 3, why does Toru suspect he has not heard from Kumiko?
3. Who eventually rescues Toru from the well?
4. Who tells the story of the massacre in Chapter 9?
5. How does Toru Okada rationalize his wife's curtness to him in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does May Kasahara describe her situation in Chapter 5?
2. Describe the interchange Toru has with the woman on the bench in Chapter 2?
3. What does the unnamed boy see in Chapter 3?
4. Describe Nutmeg.
5. Why does Creta Kano become a prostitute?
6. Why is a local tabloid so concerned with the the Miyawaki house in Chapter 7?
7. What two requests does Creta Kano make of Toru Okada in Chapter 14 and how does he respond?
8. Describe Toru Okada's life at the beginning of the novel.
9. What information does Malt Kano provide Toru Okada in their first meeting in Chapter 3?
10. Why are the Okadas estranged from the Watayas?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)