|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What era does Creta Kano's style of dress remind Toru Okada of?
(a) The 1960's
(b) The early 1980's.
(c) The 1920's.
(d) The Victorian Era.
2. Why does Toru's uncle suggest he look up Mr. Ichikawa in Chapter 12?
(a) He has a package for Toru.
(b) They were friends in school.
(c) He has been asking for Toru.
(d) He knows the neighborhood.
3. What does Creta Kano cook for breakfast in Chapter 13?
(a) Scrambled eggs.
(b) French toast.
4. Topographically, where is the town in which May Kasahara is working in Chapter 5?
(a) By the woods.
(b) In the lowlands.
(c) In the mountains.
(d) On the beach.
5. Who is Malta Kano looking for when she calls Toru Okada at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) Toru himself.
(b) Mr. Honda.
(c) Creta Kano.
(d) Noboru Wataya.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Toru Okada cooking when he first receives a call from the mysterious woman in Chapter 1?
2. What career advice does Toru Okada recall Mr. Honda giving in Chapter 4?
3. How does May Kasahara describe her love life in Chapter 5?
4. When Toru Okada is certain Kumiko is gone at the beginning of Book 2, what does he discover she has taken with her?
5. In the beginning of Book 3, why does Toru suspect he has not heard from Kumiko?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is a local tabloid so concerned with the the Miyawaki house in Chapter 7?
2. How does the infant Nutmeg nearly killed in the story of Chapter 9?
3. In the story of Chapter 13, why does the Russian commander choose not to kill Lieutenant Mamiya?
4. How does May Kasahara describe her situation in Chapter 5?
5. What information does Malt Kano provide Toru Okada in their first meeting in Chapter 3?
6. Why does Toru Okada choose to go into the well behind the old Miyawaki house?
7. Why is Lieutenant Mamiya uncomfortable with his mission with Yanamoto?
8. What painful admission does May Kasahara make in Chapter 15?
9. Describe the interchange Toru has with the woman on the bench in Chapter 2?
10. Why are the Okadas estranged from the Watayas?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)