|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What remembrance from the dead Honda does Lieutenant Mamiya give Toru Okada at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) A war medal.
(b) A pair of spectacles.
(c) An empty box.
(d) A bayonet.
2. What errand is Toru Okada running at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) Delivering his wife's dry cleaning.
(b) Getting a new watch battery.
(c) Filing his household's taxes.
(d) Picking up groceries.
3. How does Creta Kano explain her lack of clothes in the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) She likes being naked.
(b) She gave them to a homeless woman.
(c) She lost them.
(d) She wants Toru to see her body.
4. How does the actress in the Miyawaki house kill herself?
(a) She drowns herself.
(b) She shoots herself.
(c) She takes pills.
(d) She hangs herself.
5. What does Toru Okada use to climb down into the well at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) A rope ladder.
(b) A bungie cord.
(c) A long plank.
(d) A harness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sensation is Creta Kano surprised to feel when Noboru Wataya has sex with her?
2. What does the factory where May Kasahara works produce?
3. How long have Kumiko and Toru Okada been married at the beginning of the novel?
4. At the end of Chapter 2, Malta Kano calls Toru Okada to set up a meeting between him and whom?
5. What does May Kasahara invite Toru Okada to do the following day in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story about a house in Koru Okada's neighborhood does his uncle tell in Chapter 10?
2. Why does Toru Okada choose to go into the well behind the old Miyawaki house?
3. Describe Nutmeg.
4. What happens when Toru goes to the appointed address in Chapter 4?
5. Describe the interchange Toru has with the woman on the bench in Chapter 2?
6. In the story of Chapter 13, why does the Russian commander choose not to kill Lieutenant Mamiya?
7. Describe the marital tiff the Okada's have as related in Chapter 9?
8. How does Kumiko explain her own disappearance in her letter of Chapter 11?
9. What two requests does Creta Kano make of Toru Okada in Chapter 14 and how does he respond?
10. Describe Toru Okada's life at the beginning of the novel.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)