|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is May Kasahara's family when Toru visits in Chapter 15?
(a) They are moving their things to an apartment.
(b) They are running errands.
(c) They are at church.
(d) They are at their summer home.
2. Why does Mamiya say he is no longer afraid of dying?
(a) Honda has told him the manner and time of his death.
(b) He has seen far worse deaths than his can ever be.
(c) His life is an empty shell.
(d) He has lived a full life.
3. What errand is Toru Okada running at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) Picking up groceries.
(b) Getting a new watch battery.
(c) Filing his household's taxes.
(d) Delivering his wife's dry cleaning.
4. How long have Kumiko and Toru Okada been married at the beginning of the novel?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 10 months.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 6 years.
5. What article of clothing does Toru Okada agree to wear to his meeting with Malta Cano in Chapter 3?
(a) A blue pinstriped blazer.
(b) White shoes.
(c) A polka dot tie.
(d) A pink dress shirt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Toru Okada in Chapter 11 immediately before the arrive of Lieutenant Mamiya?
2. In Chapter 11, Toru Okada is surprised to find packaging for what in his waste-basket?
3. How does Toru Okada rationalize his wife's curtness to him in Chapter 2?
4. What code name is used in Chapter 7 to refer tot he owner of the "hanging house"?
5. Who dies in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Noboru Wataya want to say to Toru Okada in Chapter 3?
2. How does the infant Nutmeg nearly killed in the story of Chapter 9?
3. How does pain return to Creta Kano's life?
4. How does Kumiko explain her own disappearance in her letter of Chapter 11?
5. How does May Kasahara describe her situation in Chapter 5?
6. What does Toru Okada discover while shaving in Chapter 12?
7. In the story of Chapter 13, why does the Russian commander choose not to kill Lieutenant Mamiya?
8. Describe Toru Okada's dream at the end of Chapter 16?
9. Why are the Okadas estranged from the Watayas?
10. Why is a local tabloid so concerned with the the Miyawaki house in Chapter 7?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)