|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what type of business does May Kasahara administer surveys?
(a) A wig factory.
(b) A restaurant chain.
(c) A law office.
(d) A pachinko parlor.
2. Who is Malta Kano looking for when she calls Toru Okada at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) Toru himself.
(b) Noboru Wataya.
(c) Creta Kano.
(d) Mr. Honda.
3. How does May's visit to the bottom of the well affect her self image?
(a) She is perpetually angry.
(b) She cannot stop crying.
(c) She is more happy than usual.
(d) She is less sure of herself.
4. How does Creta Kano explain her lack of clothes in the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) She wants Toru to see her body.
(b) She gave them to a homeless woman.
(c) She lost them.
(d) She likes being naked.
5. Why did Creta Kano couple with Toru in his dream?
(a) She is ridiculously attracted to him.
(b) Malta asked her to.
(c) She intends to blackmail him.
(d) She felt sorry for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Kumiko uncomfortable the first time she has sex with Toru?
2. What errand is Toru Okada running at the beginning of Chapter 7?
3. What is the only piece of information printed on the card that the woman gives Toru in Chapter 2?
4. For much of Chapter 6, Nutmeg goes shopping with Toru for what?
5. What article of clothing does Toru Okada agree to wear to his meeting with Malta Cano in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Toru Okada's life at the beginning of the novel.
2. What happens when Toru goes to the appointed address in Chapter 4?
3. Why does Creta Kano become a prostitute?
4. In the story of Chapter 13, why does the Russian commander choose not to kill Lieutenant Mamiya?
5. What two requests does Creta Kano make of Toru Okada in Chapter 14 and how does he respond?
6. What strange event happens involving a bar folk singer in Chapter 7?
7. Why is Lieutenant Mamiya uncomfortable with his mission with Yanamoto?
8. What does the unnamed boy see in Chapter 3?
9. How does the infant Nutmeg nearly killed in the story of Chapter 9?
10. What is the Clumsy Massacre of Chapter 9?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)