|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is turnover in May Kasahara's wig factory such an issue?
(a) Girls are constantly leaving to get married.
(b) Fumes from the adhesive cause health problems.
(c) Workers hate the job.
(d) Many are fired for stealing hair.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 25, why is Toru heartened by his life?
(a) His business is successful.
(b) He has people in his life.
(c) His cat has returned.
(d) He has spoken to Kumiko.
3. What has Noboru Wataya decided about his relationship with Kumiko by the end of the novel?
(a) He has not made a decision.
(b) He will wait for her to get out of jail.
(c) He is through with her.
(d) He will do what ever she wants to do.
4. Where on Noboru Wataya's body does Toru land a blow first?
(a) His shin.
(b) His skull.
(c) His collarbone,
(d) His pelvis.
5. Why is Mamiya given more access to the Russian camp than most Japanese prisoners in his Chapter 30 letter?
(a) He bribes a Russian official.
(b) He is an officer.
(c) The Russians find him amusing.
(d) He can speak Russian.
6. What word do May's parents have to explain to her regarding the Miyawakis in Chapter 28?
7. What company purchase at a local high-end hotel is mentioned with particular gravity in Chapter 21?
(a) A commoissioned tailor.
(b) A full-floor suite of rooms.
(c) A dedicated concierge.
(d) A special parking space.
8. Whose voice does Toru Okada hear at the beginning of Chapter 34?
(b) Noboru Wataya's.
(c) Mr. Honda's.
(d) His own.
9. What does May think she hears at the end of Chapter 36?
(a) Perfect silence.
(b) Her boyfriend's laugh.
(c) Toru screaming for her.
(d) A storm approaching.
10. What is the title of the document Toru finds in the computer at the end of Chapter 25?
(a) The Zoo Massacre.
(b) Kumiko's Disappearance.
(c) Norweigan Wood.
(d) The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.
11. What personal question does Toru Okada ask Kumiko in their internet chat in Chapter 22?
(a) What do they call the bird outside their window?
(b) What did he cook their last night together?
(c) What is Noboru Wataya's secret?
(d) What did she find fascinating at the aquarium?
12. In Chapter 13, what does Noboru Wataya offer to do for Toru if he gives up his new property?
(a) Get him a job in the government.
(b) Arrage a meeting with Kumiko.
(c) Leave him alone.
(d) Pay him handsomely.
13. How does the lieutenant execute the last of the prisoners in Chapter 26?
(a) He burns him alive.
(b) He skins him alive.
(c) He shoots him.
(d) He beats him to death.
14. What does Toru want to know about Noboru Wataya in Chapter 15?
(a) If he slept with Kumiko.
(b) Whether he plans to run for office.
(c) Why he wants the hanging house.
(d) Who his real parents are.
15. Who acted as May Kasahara's sponsor in securing her the factory job?
(a) The parents of her dead boyfriend.
(b) Her employer in Tokyo.
(c) Toru Okada.
(d) Her parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cinnamon listen to on the radio while he is doing chores around the Residence in Chapter 14?
2. What surprising bit of information does Malta Kano reveal about Creta Kano in Chapter 30?
3. Who is the first person that Nutmeg told the story of the zoo massacre?
4. Who is Yoshitaka Wataya?
5. According to the article in Chapter 21, what component of the dummy corporation has been linked to political scandals?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)