|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Kumiko in Chapter 22, what has her metamorphosis done to her?
(a) Made her understand why she married Toru.
(b) Made her exhausted.
(c) Made her go bad.
(d) Made her stronger.
2. What is Kumiko planning to do in Chapter 38?
(a) Return to Toru.
(b) Kill Noboru Wataya.
(c) Kill herself.
(d) Leave Japan.
3. From where is the sound of sleigh bells coming in Chapter 25?
(a) Toru's bedroom.
(b) The sky.
(c) The alley.
(d) Cinnamon's office.
4. How does Kumiko instruct Toru to think of her in Chapter 22?
(a) Terminally ill.
(b) In a land far away.
(c) As a mortal enemy.
(d) In hell.
5. Chapter 12, what business is M's successful husband in?
(a) Entertainment industry.
(b) Stock investment.
(d) Real estate.
6. In Chapter 20, what does Nutmeg's mother sell in order to enroll her daughter in fashion school?
(a) A car.
(b) Her father's antique katana.
(c) A piece of jewelry.
(d) A set of silk robes.
7. What does Toru want to know about Noboru Wataya in Chapter 15?
(a) Whether he plans to run for office.
(b) If he slept with Kumiko.
(c) Why he wants the hanging house.
(d) Who his real parents are.
8. What is the healing room of the Residence made up to look like in Chapter 17?
(a) A jail cell.
(b) A confessional.
(c) A doctor's office.
(d) A fitting room.
9. What mystical being does Ushikawa liken himself to in Chapter 15?
(a) A satyr.
(b) A genie.
(c) A siren.
(d) A dragon.
10. What has happened to Noboru Wataya in the realm of the hotel in Chapter 33?
(a) He has lost an election.
(b) Kumiko has revealed his secret.
(c) Someone has tried to kill him,
(d) He has had a stroke.
11. At what time is May Kasahara writing her letter in Chapter 18?
(a) 2:30 AM.
(b) 10:00 AM.
(c) 8:00 PM.
(d) 4:30 PM.
12. What is the veterinarian worrying about at the beginning of Chapter 26?
(a) His wife and child.
(b) The approaching Russian army.
(c) The elephants.
(d) His health.
13. What does Toru do in Chapter 29 when he tires of going to the well?
(a) He writes May Kasahara.
(b) He tries to read more of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.
(c) He cleans the Residence.
(d) He people watches in Shinjuku.
14. Why are the mountains an ideal place for the wig factory?
(a) There are no unions.
(b) The women are used to detailed handwork.
(c) The locals have long hair to sell.
(d) The temperature is perfect for the hair.
15. Who does Nutmeg suspect is the source of the tabloid stories?
(a) Toru Okada.
(d) Noboru Wataya.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Toru assume is the narrator of the story in Chapter 26?
2. Where are Toru and May Kasahara as they talk in Chapter 39?
3. Why is turnover in May Kasahara's wig factory such an issue?
4. What does Cinnamon listen to on the radio while he is doing chores around the Residence in Chapter 14?
5. What political party does Yoshitaka Wataya belong to?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)