|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Yoshitaka Wataya?
(a) Kumiko's grandfather.
(b) Kumiko's youngest brother.
(c) Kumiko's father.
(d) Kumiko's uncle.
2. What does Toru realizes about Kumiko's sister in Chapter 34?
(a) She was defiled by Noboru Wataya.
(b) She was only protecting Kumiko.
(c) She never existed.
(d) She is Creta Kano.
3. What advise does Mamiya leave Toru with in Chapter 32?
(a) Forget the past.
(b) Remember those who fought and died.
(c) Live without regret.
(d) Find love.
4. Where on Noboru Wataya's body does Toru land a blow first?
(a) His pelvis.
(b) His shin.
(c) His skull.
(d) His collarbone,
5. What sound awakens Toru at the end of Chapter 37?
(a) A scream.
(d) The wind-up bird's call.
6. Who does Nutmeg suspect is the source of the tabloid stories?
(b) Toru Okada.
(c) Noboru Wataya.
7. Who does Toru assume is the narrator of the story in Chapter 26?
(d) The Veterinarian
8. What is the veterinarian worrying about at the beginning of Chapter 26?
(a) The elephants.
(b) The approaching Russian army.
(c) His health.
(d) His wife and child.
9. Why are the mountains an ideal place for the wig factory?
(a) There are no unions.
(b) The women are used to detailed handwork.
(c) The temperature is perfect for the hair.
(d) The locals have long hair to sell.
10. Why is Mamiya given more access to the Russian camp than most Japanese prisoners in his Chapter 30 letter?
(a) He bribes a Russian official.
(b) The Russians find him amusing.
(c) He can speak Russian.
(d) He is an officer.
11. What surprising bit of information does Malta Kano reveal about Creta Kano in Chapter 30?
(a) She has a baby.
(b) She has left for Crete.
(c) She has died.
(d) She does not exist.
12. What decision has Cinnamon made regarding the business in Chapter 24?
(a) They should fire Toru Okada,
(b) They should cease seeing customers temporarily.
(c) They should expand to a second location.
(d) They should permanently close.
13. What part of her first client's body did Nutmeg touch to heal her?
(a) Her temples.
(b) Her hands.
(c) Her heart.
(d) Her feet.
14. What personal question does Toru Okada ask Kumiko in their internet chat in Chapter 22?
(a) What did he cook their last night together?
(b) What is Noboru Wataya's secret?
(c) What did she find fascinating at the aquarium?
(d) What do they call the bird outside their window?
15. What word do May's parents have to explain to her regarding the Miyawakis in Chapter 28?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Toru and May Kasahara as they talk in Chapter 39?
2. Who acted as May Kasahara's sponsor in securing her the factory job?
3. What does Toru want to know about Noboru Wataya in Chapter 15?
4. In Chapter 20, to whom does the job of public relations for Nutmeg's fashion company fall?
5. Why is Mamiya initially unable to shoot Boris in Chapter 32?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)