|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first order that the Lieutenant gives the prisoners upon arriving at the zoo?
(a) Shoot each other.
(b) Dig a large hole.
(c) Collect food for the soldiers.
(d) Kill the elephant.
2. What sound awakens Toru at the end of Chapter 37?
(a) The wind-up bird's call.
(d) A scream.
3. Whom does the boy in Chapter 11 have to push out of bed to go to sleep?
(a) His sister.
(c) The shorter man.
(d) His mother.
4. Where does Toru meet Malto Kano in Chapter 30?
(a) At a bar near his house.
(b) In a dream.
(c) In Shinjuku.
(d) At the Residence.
5. What is the healing room of the Residence made up to look like in Chapter 17?
(a) A fitting room.
(b) A jail cell.
(c) A confessional.
(d) A doctor's office.
6. Where is Nutmeg's husband murdered?
(a) A hotel room.
(b) An alley.
(c) Their home.
(d) His studio.
7. Why is Mamiya initially unable to shoot Boris in Chapter 32?
(a) He lasks the resolve.
(b) Boris disarms him.
(c) His gun jams.
(d) He has no bullets.
8. What does May think she hears at the end of Chapter 36?
(a) A storm approaching.
(b) Perfect silence.
(c) Her boyfriend's laugh.
(d) Toru screaming for her.
9. What word do May's parents have to explain to her regarding the Miyawakis in Chapter 28?
10. Who pointedly ceases coming to the Residence in Chapter 29?
(b) Lt. Mamiya.
11. What is Toru Okada's main concern about chatting with Kumiko on a computer in Chapter 19?
(a) She may not understand his intonation.
(b) She can hang up more easily.
(c) Someone can look in more easily.
(d) He will not know it is her.
12. What has Noboru Wataya decided about his relationship with Kumiko by the end of the novel?
(a) He will wait for her to get out of jail.
(b) He is through with her.
(c) He has not made a decision.
(d) He will do what ever she wants to do.
13. How long does it take Cinnamon to learn a language?
(a) 2 months.
(b) 9 months.
(c) 3 weeks.
(d) 6 months.
14. How does Kumiko instruct Toru to think of her in Chapter 22?
(a) In hell.
(b) Terminally ill.
(c) In a land far away.
(d) As a mortal enemy.
15. What is the veterinarian worrying about at the beginning of Chapter 26?
(a) His health.
(b) The elephants.
(c) The approaching Russian army.
(d) His wife and child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to Noboru Wataya in the realm of the hotel in Chapter 33?
2. What superlative does Toru use to describe Ushikawa in Chapter 13?
3. How many secret healers does M consult in Chapter 12's article?
4. What part of her first client's body did Nutmeg touch to heal her?
5. Why are the mountains an ideal place for the wig factory?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)