|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Kumiko planning to do in Chapter 38?
(a) Kill Noboru Wataya.
(b) Leave Japan.
(c) Kill herself.
(d) Return to Toru.
2. What sound awakens Toru at the end of Chapter 37?
(a) A scream.
(b) The wind-up bird's call.
3. What does May do the night when she feels genuinely happy?
(a) She goes for a swim.
(b) She wuits her job.
(c) She takes off her clothes.
(d) She sings to herself.
4. What is the first password that Toru cracks in Chapter 19?
5. Who pointedly ceases coming to the Residence in Chapter 29?
(a) Lt. Mamiya.
6. How long does it take Cinnamon to learn a language?
(a) 3 weeks.
(b) 2 months.
(c) 9 months.
(d) 6 months.
7. What are the prisoners that the young lieutenant escorts wearing in Chapter 26?
(a) Baseball uniforms.
(b) Dress military uniforms.
(c) Civilian clothes.
8. At the beginning of Chapter 25, why is Toru heartened by his life?
(a) His business is successful.
(b) He has people in his life.
(c) He has spoken to Kumiko.
(d) His cat has returned.
9. What is the healing room of the Residence made up to look like in Chapter 17?
(a) A doctor's office.
(b) A fitting room.
(c) A confessional.
(d) A jail cell.
10. At what time is May Kasahara writing her letter in Chapter 18?
(a) 4:30 PM.
(b) 8:00 PM.
(c) 10:00 AM.
(d) 2:30 AM.
11. How long does Mamiya assist Boris in the prison camp?
(a) Three years.
(b) A year and a half.
(c) Five years.
(d) Half a year.
12. In Chapter 10, May Kasahara's boss tells her that genes determine what percentage of whether someone will go bald?
13. How does Kumiko instruct Toru to think of her in Chapter 22?
(a) In a land far away.
(b) Terminally ill.
(c) As a mortal enemy.
(d) In hell.
14. What personal question does Toru Okada ask Kumiko in their internet chat in Chapter 22?
(a) What did she find fascinating at the aquarium?
(b) What do they call the bird outside their window?
(c) What is Noboru Wataya's secret?
(d) What did he cook their last night together?
15. In Chapter 15, which of the following bits of information does Ushikawa know about Toru?
(a) How much he owes on the property.
(b) His role as a healer.
(c) His near-infidelity.
(d) His connection to Creta Kano.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to Noboru Wataya in the realm of the hotel in Chapter 33?
2. What mystical being does Ushikawa liken himself to in Chapter 15?
3. Who does Toru hear as soon as he enters the hotel in Chapter 31?
4. What surprising bit of information does Malta Kano reveal about Creta Kano in Chapter 30?
5. How does May Kasahara respond to the duck people in Chapter 36?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)