|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years after Kumiko and Toru are married does she become unexpectedly pregnant?
2. What horrific action does the man with the guitar case undertake in Toru's dream in Chapter 16?
(a) He skins himself.
(b) He drowns himself.
(c) He sets himself on fire.
(d) He castrates himself.
3. Where do Kumiko and Toru Okada meet for their first date?
(a) A mall.
(b) A theatre.
(c) An aquarium.
(d) A coffee shop.
4. Who is the protagonist of Chapter 3?
(a) A fighter pilot in World War II.
(b) A young boy.
(d) An elderly man.
5. What does Toru Okada rename his cat in Chapter 6?
6. What does Toru Okada use to climb down into the well at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) A harness.
(b) A long plank.
(c) A bungie cord.
(d) A rope ladder.
7. Where is May Kasahara's family when Toru visits in Chapter 15?
(a) They are running errands.
(b) They are at church.
(c) They are at their summer home.
(d) They are moving their things to an apartment.
8. Who tells the story of the massacre in Chapter 9?
(a) Lt. Mamiya.
9. What does the woman do to Toru's mark in Chapter 4?
(a) She takes a picture of it.
(b) She licks it.
(c) She spears it with a scalpel.
(d) The rubs it.
10. Who pulls the rope ladder up from the well in Chapter 9?
(a) Toru's uncle.
(c) May Kasahara.
(d) Malta Kano.
11. What does Toru find in the envelope the silent boy gives him?
(b) A photo of him in Creta Kano.
(c) The deed to the Miyawki house.
(d) Kumiko's wedding ring.
12. What era does Creta Kano's style of dress remind Toru Okada of?
(a) The early 1980's.
(b) The Victorian Era.
(c) The 1920's.
(d) The 1960's
13. What similarity exists between the veterinarian in Chapter 9 and Toru Okada?
(a) They both have a blue mark.
(b) They both spend time in dry wells.
(c) They both have been left by their wives.
(d) They are both the same height.
14. In Chapter 7, what comes and goes from the "hanging house" with odd regularity?
(c) Construction workers.
(d) Black cars.
15. In Chapter 11, Toru Okada is surprised to find packaging for what in his waste-basket?
(b) A portable phone.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long ago was the last time Noboru Wataya and Toru Okada met as of Chapter 3?
2. Who is the prophesied caller beginning with "O" that calls Toru Okada in Chapter 1?
3. For much of Chapter 6, Nutmeg goes shopping with Toru for what?
4. How did May Kasahara cause her boyfriend's death?
5. What code name is used in Chapter 7 to refer tot he owner of the "hanging house"?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)