|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What horrific action does the man with the guitar case undertake in Toru's dream in Chapter 16?
(a) He drowns himself.
(b) He skins himself.
(c) He castrates himself.
(d) He sets himself on fire.
2. How long ago was the last time Noboru Wataya and Toru Okada met as of Chapter 3?
(a) Three years.
(b) Six years.
(c) Five months.
(d) One year.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what does Toru remember doing with his father as a child?
(a) Going to a baseball game.
(c) Playing cards on a sunny day.
4. What remembrance from the dead Honda does Lieutenant Mamiya give Toru Okada at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) A bayonet.
(b) An empty box.
(c) A pair of spectacles.
(d) A war medal.
5. How many years after Kumiko and Toru are married does she become unexpectedly pregnant?
6. What career advice does Toru Okada recall Mr. Honda giving in Chapter 4?
(a) He should become a public defender.
(b) He should ask for a raise.
(c) He should start showing up late to work.
(d) He should quit law.
7. What tune is the waiter whistling in Toru's Chapter 8 dream?
(a) Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain.
(b) Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf.
(c) Rossini's Thieving Magpie.
(d) Mahler's Resurrection.
8. What does Toru give Creta in Chapter 14 in exchange for sex?
(a) Some of Kumiko's clothing.
(b) Mr. Honda's empty box.
(c) His rope ladder.
(d) A blank check.
9. What is Toru Okada's duty working with May Kasahara in Chapter 9?
(a) Counting bald heads.
(b) Approaching men on the streets.
(c) Filing paperwork for her.
(d) Setting up wig displays.
10. What animal inhabits the disgusting island that is the subject of Toru Okada's metaphorical story in Chapter 3?
11. What does Toru Okada use to climb down into the well at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) A bungie cord.
(b) A rope ladder.
(c) A long plank.
(d) A harness.
12. How does May's visit to the bottom of the well affect her self image?
(a) She cannot stop crying.
(b) She is perpetually angry.
(c) She is more happy than usual.
(d) She is less sure of herself.
13. At the end of Chapter 2, Malta Kano calls Toru Okada to set up a meeting between him and whom?
(b) Noboru Wataya.
(c) Creta Kano.
(d) His uncle.
14. For much of Chapter 6, Nutmeg goes shopping with Toru for what?
(a) A car.
(c) A new house.
15. Why is Kumiko uncomfortable the first time she has sex with Toru?
(a) She does not particularly like him.
(b) She has not showered.
(c) They are in her parents' house.
(d) She is a virgin.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, how does Creta Kano say she eventually managed to pay off her debts?
2. Topographically, where is the town in which May Kasahara is working in Chapter 5?
3. How long have Kumiko and Toru Okada been married at the beginning of the novel?
4. After how many days of people-watching does Toru Okada see the man with the guitar case?
5. What does Toru Okada rename his cat in Chapter 6?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)