|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Creta Kano explain her lack of clothes in the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) She lost them.
(b) She likes being naked.
(c) She gave them to a homeless woman.
(d) She wants Toru to see her body.
2. How does May Kasahara describe her love life in Chapter 5?
(a) She refuses to date.
(b) She has a boyfriend.
(c) She is engaged.
(d) She has been on one date.
3. In Chapter 7, what comes and goes from the "hanging house" with odd regularity?
(b) Black cars.
(d) Construction workers.
4. Why has Toru Okada never met Kumiko's sister?
(a) She lives in the United States.
(b) She refuses to meet him.
(c) She died at age 11.
(d) She is estranged from the Watayas.
5. In a reminiscence in Chapter 9, why does Kumiko refuse to speak to Toru Okada for three days?
(a) He quits his job.
(b) He breaks a family heirloom.
(c) She gives no reason.
(d) He almost cheats on her.
6. What does Toru admit to May Kasahara in Chapter 10?
(a) He is frightened she will let him die.
(b) He is depressed.
(c) He and Kumiko once had an abortion.
(d) Kumiko has left him.
7. After how many days of people-watching does Toru Okada see the man with the guitar case?
8. In Chapter 16, Toru and the man with the guitar case fight with what weapon?
(a) A knife.
(b) A gun.
(c) A bicycle chain.
(d) A baseball bat.
9. What sensation is Creta Kano surprised to feel when Noboru Wataya has sex with her?
10. How long does the American submarine in Chapter 9 give the Japanese transport before it fires in it?
(a) 2 hours.
(b) 1 hour.
(c) 10 minutes.
(d) It fires on sight.
11. Topographically, where is the town in which May Kasahara is working in Chapter 5?
(a) On the beach.
(b) By the woods.
(c) In the lowlands.
(d) In the mountains.
12. What similarity exists between the veterinarian in Chapter 9 and Toru Okada?
(a) They both spend time in dry wells.
(b) They are both the same height.
(c) They both have been left by their wives.
(d) They both have a blue mark.
13. How long have Kumiko and Toru Okada been married at the beginning of the novel?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 10 months.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 6 years.
14. When dis Koru and Kumiko Okada stop taking to Kumiko's parents?
(a) After Kumiko's sister died.
(b) After Noburu Wataya began chieving success.
(c) After Koru quit his job.
(d) After Koru had a fight with her father.
15. In Lieutenant Mamiya's story of Chapter 12, what does Yanamoto tell Lieutenant Mamiya he must do if they are captured?
(a) Flee back into China.
(b) Destroy his personal documents.
(c) Fight to the death.
(d) Kill Yanamoto.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long ago was the last time Noboru Wataya and Toru Okada met as of Chapter 3?
2. What era does Creta Kano's style of dress remind Toru Okada of?
3. In Chapter 13, what memory of Yanamoto's death does in Lieutenant Mamiya say he will never forget?
4. Where do Kumiko and Toru Okada meet for their first date?
5. Who is the prophesied caller beginning with "O" that calls Toru Okada in Chapter 1?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)