|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the zoo mentioned in Chapter 9?
2. How does Creta Kano explain her lack of clothes in the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) She wants Toru to see her body.
(b) She gave them to a homeless woman.
(c) She lost them.
(d) She likes being naked.
3. How long does the American submarine in Chapter 9 give the Japanese transport before it fires in it?
(a) 10 minutes.
(b) 1 hour.
(c) 2 hours.
(d) It fires on sight.
4. Why did Creta Kano couple with Toru in his dream?
(a) Malta asked her to.
(b) She intends to blackmail him.
(c) She felt sorry for him.
(d) She is ridiculously attracted to him.
5. What does Creta Kano cook for breakfast in Chapter 13?
(a) French toast.
(b) Scrambled eggs.
6. What does the factory where May Kasahara works produce?
(a) Computer chips.
7. Who is the protagonist of Chapter 3?
(a) An elderly man.
(c) A fighter pilot in World War II.
(d) A young boy.
8. Who dies in Chapter 1?
(a) Toru's uncle.
(b) Lieutenant Mamiya.
(c) May Kasahara.
(d) Creta Kano.
9. In a reminiscence in Chapter 9, why does Kumiko refuse to speak to Toru Okada for three days?
(a) He quits his job.
(b) He breaks a family heirloom.
(c) She gives no reason.
(d) He almost cheats on her.
10. How does May's visit to the bottom of the well affect her self image?
(a) She is more happy than usual.
(b) She cannot stop crying.
(c) She is perpetually angry.
(d) She is less sure of herself.
11. What is the only piece of information printed on the card that the woman gives Toru in Chapter 2?
(a) A title.
(b) A phone number.
(c) An address.
(d) A name.
12. In Chapter 12, Lieutenant Mamiya describes a secret mission he and Honda were a part of. What country did this mission illegally enter?
13. In Lieutenant Mamiya's story of Chapter 12, what does Yanamoto tell Lieutenant Mamiya he must do if they are captured?
(a) Kill Yanamoto.
(b) Fight to the death.
(c) Destroy his personal documents.
(d) Flee back into China.
14. Where does Toru Okada find his necktie in Chapter 4?
(a) The street.
(b) The dry cleaners.
(c) His neighbor's house.
(d) His work items that he packed.
15. Who saves Lieutenant Mamiya from the dry well where the Mongolian soldiers leave him?
(a) A Mongolian sheep-herder.
(c) A Russian soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Toru decide he needs to purchase at the end of Chapter 1?
2. Who pulls the rope ladder up from the well in Chapter 9?
3. How did May Kasahara cause her boyfriend's death?
4. Where does Toru's Chapter 8 dream take place?
5. What does the woman do to Toru's mark in Chapter 4?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)