|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Toru Okada rename his cat in Chapter 6?
2. What does Toru admit to May Kasahara in Chapter 10?
(a) He is depressed.
(b) He is frightened she will let him die.
(c) Kumiko has left him.
(d) He and Kumiko once had an abortion.
3. In a reminiscence in Chapter 9, why does Kumiko refuse to speak to Toru Okada for three days?
(a) She gives no reason.
(b) He quits his job.
(c) He breaks a family heirloom.
(d) He almost cheats on her.
4. How many years after Kumiko and Toru are married does she become unexpectedly pregnant?
5. At the end of Chapter 2, Malta Kano calls Toru Okada to set up a meeting between him and whom?
(a) His uncle.
(c) Noboru Wataya.
(d) Creta Kano.
6. What is the only piece of information printed on the card that the woman gives Toru in Chapter 2?
(a) An address.
(b) A name.
(c) A title.
(d) A phone number.
7. What sensation is Creta Kano surprised to feel when Noboru Wataya has sex with her?
8. Why does Toru's uncle suggest he look up Mr. Ichikawa in Chapter 12?
(a) They were friends in school.
(b) He has a package for Toru.
(c) He knows the neighborhood.
(d) He has been asking for Toru.
9. Who calls Toru Okada in Chapter 11 immediately before the arrive of Lieutenant Mamiya?
(b) The mysterious woman.
(c) Malta Kano.
(d) May Kasahara.
10. How does Creta Kano explain her lack of clothes in the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) She lost them.
(b) She likes being naked.
(c) She wants Toru to see her body.
(d) She gave them to a homeless woman.
11. What is Toru Okada's duty working with May Kasahara in Chapter 9?
(a) Counting bald heads.
(b) Setting up wig displays.
(c) Approaching men on the streets.
(d) Filing paperwork for her.
12. After how many days of people-watching does Toru Okada see the man with the guitar case?
13. In Chapter 14, Creta Kano states that she now considers her physically numb state from before she met Noboru Wataya to be what?
(a) A transitional state.
(b) A deluded state.
(c) A dream state.
(d) A perfect state.
14. Who is the prophesied caller beginning with "O" that calls Toru Okada in Chapter 1?
(a) His cousin Oni.
(b) A business based in Osaka.
(c) Omura Liquor.
(d) His uncle.
15. How did May Kasahara cause her boyfriend's death?
(a) She pushed him over a bridge guardrail.
(b) She ran him over with a car.
(c) She stabbed him with a fake sword.
(d) She covered his eyes on a motorcycle.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Book 3, why does Toru suspect he has not heard from Kumiko?
2. What object does Toru Okada discover in the well in Chapter 8?
3. What does Toru give Creta in Chapter 14 in exchange for sex?
4. What color is the mark that Toru discovers on his cheek in Chapter 12?
5. Why has Toru Okada never met Kumiko's sister?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)