|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can the protagonist clearly see two figures in the night in Chapter 3?
(a) It is a full moon.
(b) He can see in the dark.
(c) There are street lamps illuminating the area.
(d) The figures are glowing.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what does Toru remember doing with his father as a child?
(b) Going to a baseball game.
(d) Playing cards on a sunny day.
3. What object does Toru Okada discover in the well in Chapter 8?
(a) A box.
(b) A beer.
(c) A bat.
(d) A necktie.
4. Where is the zoo mentioned in Chapter 9?
5. Topographically, where is the town in which May Kasahara is working in Chapter 5?
(a) In the mountains.
(b) In the lowlands.
(c) By the woods.
(d) On the beach.
6. Who is the protagonist of Chapter 3?
(a) A young boy.
(c) An elderly man.
(d) A fighter pilot in World War II.
7. What is the only piece of information printed on the card that the woman gives Toru in Chapter 2?
(a) A title.
(b) A name.
(c) A phone number.
(d) An address.
8. Who is Malta Kano looking for when she calls Toru Okada at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) Creta Kano.
(b) Toru himself.
(c) Noboru Wataya.
(d) Mr. Honda.
9. What animal inhabits the disgusting island that is the subject of Toru Okada's metaphorical story in Chapter 3?
10. Why is Kumiko uncomfortable the first time she has sex with Toru?
(a) She is a virgin.
(b) They are in her parents' house.
(c) She does not particularly like him.
(d) She has not showered.
11. In Chapter 11, Toru Okada is surprised to find packaging for what in his waste-basket?
(c) A portable phone.
12. Who pulls the rope ladder up from the well in Chapter 9?
(a) May Kasahara.
(c) Toru's uncle.
(d) Malta Kano.
13. What does Malta Kano assure Toru Okada that he will find at the end of their meeting?
(a) A job.
(b) His tie.
(c) A new house.
(d) His cat.
14. How does May Kasahara describe her love life in Chapter 5?
(a) She is engaged.
(b) She has a boyfriend.
(c) She has been on one date.
(d) She refuses to date.
15. Where is May Kasahara's family when Toru visits in Chapter 15?
(a) They are running errands.
(b) They are at their summer home.
(c) They are moving their things to an apartment.
(d) They are at church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What career advice does Toru Okada recall Mr. Honda giving in Chapter 4?
2. In Chapter 14, Creta Kano states that she now considers her physically numb state from before she met Noboru Wataya to be what?
3. For much of Chapter 6, Nutmeg goes shopping with Toru for what?
4. In his letter in Chapter 4, Mamiya says that - when he was at the bottom of the well in Mongolia - he believes something what living in what?
5. At the end of Chapter 2, Malta Kano calls Toru Okada to set up a meeting between him and whom?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)