|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What errand is Toru Okada running at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) Picking up groceries.
(b) Filing his household's taxes.
(c) Getting a new watch battery.
(d) Delivering his wife's dry cleaning.
2. What does the silent young man in Chapter 4 give Toru Okada to keep him from seeing where they are going?
(a) A scarf.
(c) A night-mask.
(d) A hood.
3. For what type of business does May Kasahara administer surveys?
(a) A restaurant chain.
(b) A wig factory.
(c) A pachinko parlor.
(d) A law office.
4. How does the actress in the Miyawaki house kill herself?
(a) She hangs herself.
(b) She drowns herself.
(c) She takes pills.
(d) She shoots herself.
5. What does Toru Okada use to climb down into the well at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) A rope ladder.
(b) A bungie cord.
(c) A long plank.
(d) A harness.
6. What does Creta Kano cook for breakfast in Chapter 13?
(c) Scrambled eggs.
(d) French toast.
7. What does the shorter of the two men in Chapter 3 do while the protagonist watches?
(a) He digs a hole.
(b) He pees in the woods.
(c) He climbs a tree.
(d) He kills the taller man.
8. How long have Kumiko and Toru Okada been married at the beginning of the novel?
(a) 6 years.
(b) 10 months.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 20 years.
9. What is the only piece of information printed on the card that the woman gives Toru in Chapter 2?
(a) An address.
(b) A name.
(c) A phone number.
(d) A title.
10. What similarity exists between the veterinarian in Chapter 9 and Toru Okada?
(a) They both spend time in dry wells.
(b) They both have been left by their wives.
(c) They are both the same height.
(d) They both have a blue mark.
11. What does Toru decide he needs to purchase at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) New clothes.
(b) The Miyawaki well.
(c) A ticket to Crete.
(d) A car.
12. Where is the zoo mentioned in Chapter 9?
13. For what problem has Kumiko sought the advice of Malta Kano in Chapter 3?
(a) Kumiko's brother's professional problems.
(b) The Okadas' flailing marriage.
(c) The Okadas' missing cat.
(d) Toru Okada's lack of a job.
14. Why does Mamiya say he is no longer afraid of dying?
(a) He has seen far worse deaths than his can ever be.
(b) Honda has told him the manner and time of his death.
(c) His life is an empty shell.
(d) He has lived a full life.
15. What remembrance from the dead Honda does Lieutenant Mamiya give Toru Okada at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) A war medal.
(b) A bayonet.
(c) A pair of spectacles.
(d) An empty box.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pulls the rope ladder up from the well in Chapter 9?
2. Where is May Kasahara's family when Toru visits in Chapter 15?
3. What does the factory where May Kasahara works produce?
4. What does Malta Kano assure Toru Okada that he will find at the end of their meeting?
5. In Chapter 2, what does Toru Okada tell the woman on the street he needs?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)