|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When dis Koru and Kumiko Okada stop taking to Kumiko's parents?
(a) After Koru quit his job.
(b) After Noburu Wataya began chieving success.
(c) After Kumiko's sister died.
(d) After Koru had a fight with her father.
2. What errand is Toru Okada running at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) Picking up groceries.
(b) Getting a new watch battery.
(c) Filing his household's taxes.
(d) Delivering his wife's dry cleaning.
3. What is the only piece of information printed on the card that the woman gives Toru in Chapter 2?
(a) A title.
(b) A phone number.
(c) A name.
(d) An address.
4. How does May's visit to the bottom of the well affect her self image?
(a) She is more happy than usual.
(b) She cannot stop crying.
(c) She is perpetually angry.
(d) She is less sure of herself.
5. What does Toru Okada use to climb down into the well at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) A long plank.
(b) A bungie cord.
(c) A harness.
(d) A rope ladder.
6. For what type of business does May Kasahara administer surveys?
(a) A wig factory.
(b) A pachinko parlor.
(c) A restaurant chain.
(d) A law office.
7. How does the actress in the Miyawaki house kill herself?
(a) She takes pills.
(b) She hangs herself.
(c) She shoots herself.
(d) She drowns herself.
8. Who is Malta Kano looking for when she calls Toru Okada at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) Creta Kano.
(b) Noboru Wataya.
(c) Toru himself.
(d) Mr. Honda.
9. What era does Creta Kano's style of dress remind Toru Okada of?
(a) The early 1980's.
(b) The 1960's
(c) The Victorian Era.
(d) The 1920's.
10. In the beginning of Book 3, why does Toru suspect he has not heard from Kumiko?
(a) She is dead.
(b) She is being imprisoned by her family.
(c) She is truly happy without him.
(d) She never actually existed.
11. What dangerous animal survives the massacre in Chapter 9?
12. What does Toru find in the envelope the silent boy gives him?
(a) A photo of him in Creta Kano.
(c) Kumiko's wedding ring.
(d) The deed to the Miyawki house.
13. In a reminiscence in Chapter 9, why does Kumiko refuse to speak to Toru Okada for three days?
(a) He breaks a family heirloom.
(b) He quits his job.
(c) He almost cheats on her.
(d) She gives no reason.
14. How long does the American submarine in Chapter 9 give the Japanese transport before it fires in it?
(a) 1 hour.
(b) 2 hours.
(c) It fires on sight.
(d) 10 minutes.
15. In Chapter 14, Creta Kano states that she now considers her physically numb state from before she met Noboru Wataya to be what?
(a) A deluded state.
(b) A dream state.
(c) A transitional state.
(d) A perfect state.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tune is the waiter whistling in Toru's Chapter 8 dream?
2. Who is the protagonist of Chapter 3?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what does Toru remember doing with his father as a child?
4. What is the style of writing that Chapter 7 is supposed to be?
5. What does Toru decide he needs to purchase at the end of Chapter 1?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)