|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long ago was the last time Noboru Wataya and Toru Okada met as of Chapter 3?
(a) Six years.
(b) One year.
(c) Five months.
(d) Three years.
2. What does May Kasahara do before leaving the well at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) She blows Toru a kiss.
(b) She closes the lid.
(c) She tosses down some food.
(d) She throws a rock at Toru.
3. How does Toru Okada rationalize his wife's curtness to him in Chapter 2?
(a) She thinks he is a failure.
(b) She has PMS.
(c) She had a bad day at work.
(d) She is a woman.
4. In a reminiscence in Chapter 9, why does Kumiko refuse to speak to Toru Okada for three days?
(a) She gives no reason.
(b) He quits his job.
(c) He breaks a family heirloom.
(d) He almost cheats on her.
5. Where is May Kasahara's family when Toru visits in Chapter 15?
(a) They are at church.
(b) They are at their summer home.
(c) They are moving their things to an apartment.
(d) They are running errands.
6. How long have Kumiko and Toru Okada been married at the beginning of the novel?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 6 years.
(d) 10 months.
7. What does Toru Okada rename his cat in Chapter 6?
8. In Chapter 11, Toru Okada is surprised to find packaging for what in his waste-basket?
(a) A portable phone.
9. When dis Koru and Kumiko Okada stop taking to Kumiko's parents?
(a) After Koru quit his job.
(b) After Kumiko's sister died.
(c) After Koru had a fight with her father.
(d) After Noburu Wataya began chieving success.
10. In Lieutenant Mamiya's story of Chapter 12, what does Yanamoto tell Lieutenant Mamiya he must do if they are captured?
(a) Fight to the death.
(b) Destroy his personal documents.
(c) Kill Yanamoto.
(d) Flee back into China.
11. Where does Toru's Chapter 8 dream take place?
(a) His house.
(b) A fancy restaurant.
(c) A hotel.
(d) A ballroom.
12. According to Toru's uncle in Chapter 13, how did Mr. Miyawaki lose all of his money?
(a) A crippling drug addiction.
(b) A run on his bank.
(c) Opening a failed restaurant.
(d) A bad stock deal.
13. What does Toru give Creta in Chapter 14 in exchange for sex?
(a) Some of Kumiko's clothing.
(b) His rope ladder.
(c) A blank check.
(d) Mr. Honda's empty box.
14. Where is the zoo mentioned in Chapter 9?
15. Who pulls the rope ladder up from the well in Chapter 9?
(a) Malta Kano.
(b) Toru's uncle.
(c) May Kasahara.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what problem has Kumiko sought the advice of Malta Kano in Chapter 3?
2. What is the only piece of information printed on the card that the woman gives Toru in Chapter 2?
3. What sensation is Creta Kano surprised to feel when Noboru Wataya has sex with her?
4. What does May Kasahara invite Toru Okada to do the following day in Chapter 5?
5. What object does Toru Okada discover in the well in Chapter 8?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)