|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who saves Lieutenant Mamiya from the dry well where the Mongolian soldiers leave him?
(b) A Russian soldier.
(d) A Mongolian sheep-herder.
2. What tune is the waiter whistling in Toru's Chapter 8 dream?
(a) Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain.
(b) Rossini's Thieving Magpie.
(c) Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf.
(d) Mahler's Resurrection.
3. Who is Malta Kano looking for when she calls Toru Okada at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) Toru himself.
(b) Mr. Honda.
(c) Creta Kano.
(d) Noboru Wataya.
4. Why does Mamiya say he is no longer afraid of dying?
(a) He has lived a full life.
(b) Honda has told him the manner and time of his death.
(c) His life is an empty shell.
(d) He has seen far worse deaths than his can ever be.
5. In Chapter 2, what does Toru Okada tell the woman on the street he needs?
(b) A well.
(c) Eighty million yen.
6. What does Malta Kano assure Toru Okada that he will find at the end of their meeting?
(a) His tie.
(b) A job.
(c) His cat.
(d) A new house.
7. How did May Kasahara cause her boyfriend's death?
(a) She covered his eyes on a motorcycle.
(b) She pushed him over a bridge guardrail.
(c) She ran him over with a car.
(d) She stabbed him with a fake sword.
8. In Lieutenant Mamiya's story of Chapter 12, what does Yanamoto tell Lieutenant Mamiya he must do if they are captured?
(a) Kill Yanamoto.
(b) Fight to the death.
(c) Destroy his personal documents.
(d) Flee back into China.
9. What does Toru give Creta in Chapter 14 in exchange for sex?
(a) Mr. Honda's empty box.
(b) His rope ladder.
(c) A blank check.
(d) Some of Kumiko's clothing.
10. What sensation is Creta Kano surprised to feel when Noboru Wataya has sex with her?
11. What does the shorter of the two men in Chapter 3 do while the protagonist watches?
(a) He pees in the woods.
(b) He climbs a tree.
(c) He kills the taller man.
(d) He digs a hole.
12. How does May's visit to the bottom of the well affect her self image?
(a) She is less sure of herself.
(b) She is more happy than usual.
(c) She cannot stop crying.
(d) She is perpetually angry.
13. How long does the American submarine in Chapter 9 give the Japanese transport before it fires in it?
(a) 10 minutes.
(b) It fires on sight.
(c) 1 hour.
(d) 2 hours.
14. What era does Creta Kano's style of dress remind Toru Okada of?
(a) The 1960's
(b) The 1920's.
(c) The early 1980's.
(d) The Victorian Era.
15. Where does Toru's Chapter 8 dream take place?
(a) A fancy restaurant.
(b) A ballroom.
(c) His house.
(d) A hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Toru Okada use to climb down into the well at the end of Chapter 5?
2. Where is the zoo mentioned in Chapter 9?
3. What does Toru Okada rename his cat in Chapter 6?
4. What does Toru admit to May Kasahara in Chapter 10?
5. What article of clothing does Toru Okada agree to wear to his meeting with Malta Cano in Chapter 3?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)