|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dies in Chapter 1?
(a) Lieutenant Mamiya.
(b) Creta Kano.
(c) Toru's uncle.
(d) May Kasahara.
2. Who is the protagonist of Chapter 3?
(a) A young boy.
(c) A fighter pilot in World War II.
(d) An elderly man.
3. Who tells the story of the massacre in Chapter 9?
(d) Lt. Mamiya.
4. In Lieutenant Mamiya's story of Chapter 12, what does Yanamoto tell Lieutenant Mamiya he must do if they are captured?
(a) Destroy his personal documents.
(b) Kill Yanamoto.
(c) Flee back into China.
(d) Fight to the death.
5. How does Creta Kano explain her lack of clothes in the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) She lost them.
(b) She wants Toru to see her body.
(c) She likes being naked.
(d) She gave them to a homeless woman.
6. What career advice does Toru Okada recall Mr. Honda giving in Chapter 4?
(a) He should become a public defender.
(b) He should ask for a raise.
(c) He should start showing up late to work.
(d) He should quit law.
7. In a reminiscence in Chapter 9, why does Kumiko refuse to speak to Toru Okada for three days?
(a) She gives no reason.
(b) He quits his job.
(c) He breaks a family heirloom.
(d) He almost cheats on her.
8. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what does Toru remember doing with his father as a child?
(b) Going to a baseball game.
(d) Playing cards on a sunny day.
9. How long have Kumiko and Toru Okada been married at the beginning of the novel?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 10 months.
(c) 6 years.
(d) 20 years.
10. What changes about the style of writing in Chapter 3?
(a) It changes to French.
(b) It changes to a third-person point of view.
(c) It switches from prose to poetry.
(d) It is presented as a newspaper article.
11. Who eventually rescues Toru from the well?
(b) Malta Kano.
(c) Creta Kano.
(d) May Kasahara.
12. Where is May Kasahara's family when Toru visits in Chapter 15?
(a) They are running errands.
(b) They are at church.
(c) They are moving their things to an apartment.
(d) They are at their summer home.
13. How does Toru Okada rationalize his wife's curtness to him in Chapter 2?
(a) She has PMS.
(b) She had a bad day at work.
(c) She is a woman.
(d) She thinks he is a failure.
14. What does Toru give Creta in Chapter 14 in exchange for sex?
(a) Mr. Honda's empty box.
(b) His rope ladder.
(c) A blank check.
(d) Some of Kumiko's clothing.
15. What town is Toru Okada in when Kumiko call to tell him she had an abortion?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the silent young man in Chapter 4 give Toru Okada to keep him from seeing where they are going?
2. What does Toru Okada use to climb down into the well at the end of Chapter 5?
3. What remembrance from the dead Honda does Lieutenant Mamiya give Toru Okada at the end of Chapter 13?
4. What is the only piece of information printed on the card that the woman gives Toru in Chapter 2?
5. At the end of Chapter 2, Malta Kano calls Toru Okada to set up a meeting between him and whom?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)