|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the mark that Toru discovers on his cheek in Chapter 12?
2. What career advice does Toru Okada recall Mr. Honda giving in Chapter 4?
(a) He should quit law.
(b) He should start showing up late to work.
(c) He should become a public defender.
(d) He should ask for a raise.
3. What remembrance from the dead Honda does Lieutenant Mamiya give Toru Okada at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) An empty box.
(b) A bayonet.
(c) A war medal.
(d) A pair of spectacles.
4. What is Toru Okada's duty working with May Kasahara in Chapter 9?
(a) Setting up wig displays.
(b) Counting bald heads.
(c) Approaching men on the streets.
(d) Filing paperwork for her.
5. How long have Kumiko and Toru Okada been married at the beginning of the novel?
(a) 6 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 10 months.
(d) 20 years.
6. What does May Kasahara invite Toru Okada to do the following day in Chapter 5?
(a) Have lunch with her.
(b) Join her administering surveys.
(c) Go to church with her.
(d) Sunbathe with her.
7. What code name is used in Chapter 7 to refer tot he owner of the "hanging house"?
(c) Mr. X.
(d) The Super.
8. What town is Toru Okada in when Kumiko call to tell him she had an abortion?
9. What does Malta Kano do on her international travels?
(a) Attend conferences.
(b) Give public demonstrations of her abilities.
(c) Make psychic house calls.
(d) Sample water.
10. In Chapter 12, Lieutenant Mamiya describes a secret mission he and Honda were a part of. What country did this mission illegally enter?
11. What does the shorter of the two men in Chapter 3 do while the protagonist watches?
(a) He pees in the woods.
(b) He climbs a tree.
(c) He kills the taller man.
(d) He digs a hole.
12. In Chapter 13, what memory of Yanamoto's death does in Lieutenant Mamiya say he will never forget?
(a) His eye contact.
(b) His blood pooling beneath him.
(c) His frantic prayers.
(d) His screams.
13. Who tells the story of the massacre in Chapter 9?
(d) Lt. Mamiya.
14. What does Creta Kano cook for breakfast in Chapter 13?
(b) Scrambled eggs.
(c) French toast.
15. What does the woman do to Toru's mark in Chapter 4?
(a) She takes a picture of it.
(b) She spears it with a scalpel.
(c) She licks it.
(d) The rubs it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changes about the style of writing in Chapter 3?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what does Toru remember doing with his father as a child?
3. Why does Mamiya say he is no longer afraid of dying?
4. What does the silent young man in Chapter 4 give Toru Okada to keep him from seeing where they are going?
5. At the end of Chapter 2, Malta Kano calls Toru Okada to set up a meeting between him and whom?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)