|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Toru Okada find his necktie in Chapter 4?
(a) The dry cleaners.
(b) His work items that he packed.
(c) The street.
(d) His neighbor's house.
2. What animal inhabits the disgusting island that is the subject of Toru Okada's metaphorical story in Chapter 3?
3. Who is the prophesied caller beginning with "O" that calls Toru Okada in Chapter 1?
(a) His cousin Oni.
(b) Omura Liquor.
(c) A business based in Osaka.
(d) His uncle.
4. For what problem has Kumiko sought the advice of Malta Kano in Chapter 3?
(a) Toru Okada's lack of a job.
(b) The Okadas' flailing marriage.
(c) Kumiko's brother's professional problems.
(d) The Okadas' missing cat.
5. In Chapter 16, Toru and the man with the guitar case fight with what weapon?
(a) A bicycle chain.
(b) A knife.
(c) A gun.
(d) A baseball bat.
6. For what does May Kasahara castigate Toru Okada in Chapter 5?
(a) Not showing up at work with her.
(b) Giving up on finding his cat.
(c) Not washing his clothes.
(d) Having too many women around him.
7. What dangerous animal survives the massacre in Chapter 9?
8. Why has Toru Okada never met Kumiko's sister?
(a) She died at age 11.
(b) She lives in the United States.
(c) She is estranged from the Watayas.
(d) She refuses to meet him.
9. What remembrance from the dead Honda does Lieutenant Mamiya give Toru Okada at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) A pair of spectacles.
(b) A bayonet.
(c) An empty box.
(d) A war medal.
10. What does Toru find in the envelope the silent boy gives him?
(b) Kumiko's wedding ring.
(c) The deed to the Miyawki house.
(d) A photo of him in Creta Kano.
11. What era does Creta Kano's style of dress remind Toru Okada of?
(a) The 1960's
(b) The early 1980's.
(c) The Victorian Era.
(d) The 1920's.
12. After how many days of people-watching does Toru Okada see the man with the guitar case?
13. What is Toru Okada cooking when he first receives a call from the mysterious woman in Chapter 1?
(a) Hot oatmeal.
(c) Stir fry.
(d) Baked Chicken.
14. What does Toru admit to May Kasahara in Chapter 10?
(a) He is depressed.
(b) He is frightened she will let him die.
(c) Kumiko has left him.
(d) He and Kumiko once had an abortion.
15. What does Toru decide he needs to purchase at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) A ticket to Crete.
(b) The Miyawaki well.
(c) New clothes.
(d) A car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the factory where May Kasahara works produce?
2. Who is the protagonist of Chapter 3?
3. What is the style of writing that Chapter 7 is supposed to be?
4. How long does the American submarine in Chapter 9 give the Japanese transport before it fires in it?
5. Who dies in Chapter 1?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)