|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the style of writing that Chapter 7 is supposed to be?
(a) An article.
(b) A journal.
(c) A research paper.
(d) A letter.
2. Why has Toru Okada never met Kumiko's sister?
(a) She died at age 11.
(b) She lives in the United States.
(c) She is estranged from the Watayas.
(d) She refuses to meet him.
3. When dis Koru and Kumiko Okada stop taking to Kumiko's parents?
(a) After Noburu Wataya began chieving success.
(b) After Koru had a fight with her father.
(c) After Koru quit his job.
(d) After Kumiko's sister died.
4. In Chapter 16, Toru and the man with the guitar case fight with what weapon?
(a) A bicycle chain.
(b) A gun.
(c) A baseball bat.
(d) A knife.
5. In his letter in Chapter 4, Mamiya says that - when he was at the bottom of the well in Mongolia - he believes something what living in what?
(a) The damp.
(b) The light.
(c) The solitude.
(d) The silence.
6. In Chapter 7, what comes and goes from the "hanging house" with odd regularity?
(a) Construction workers.
(d) Black cars.
7. What does the silent young man in Chapter 4 give Toru Okada to keep him from seeing where they are going?
(b) A night-mask.
(c) A hood.
(d) A scarf.
8. When Toru Okada is certain Kumiko is gone at the beginning of Book 2, what does he discover she has taken with her?
(a) All her shoes and dresses.
(b) Their wedding album.
(c) Her check-book.
9. In Chapter 11, Toru Okada is surprised to find packaging for what in his waste-basket?
(d) A portable phone.
10. Who tells the story of the massacre in Chapter 9?
(b) Lt. Mamiya.
11. Who calls Toru Okada in Chapter 11 immediately before the arrive of Lieutenant Mamiya?
(a) May Kasahara.
(b) Malta Kano.
(c) The mysterious woman.
12. In Chapter 2, what does Toru Okada tell the woman on the street he needs?
(a) A well.
(b) Eighty million yen.
13. Who is Malta Kano looking for when she calls Toru Okada at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) Noboru Wataya.
(b) Toru himself.
(c) Mr. Honda.
(d) Creta Kano.
14. At the end of Chapter 2, Malta Kano calls Toru Okada to set up a meeting between him and whom?
(a) His uncle.
(b) Noboru Wataya.
(c) Creta Kano.
15. Where is the zoo mentioned in Chapter 9?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Malta Kano assure Toru Okada that he will find at the end of their meeting?
2. After how many days of people-watching does Toru Okada see the man with the guitar case?
3. Who eventually rescues Toru from the well?
4. Where does Toru Okada find his necktie in Chapter 4?
5. How does Toru Okada rationalize his wife's curtness to him in Chapter 2?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)