|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells the story of the massacre in Chapter 9?
(c) Lt. Mamiya.
2. Who is Malta Kano looking for when she calls Toru Okada at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) Mr. Honda.
(b) Toru himself.
(c) Creta Kano.
(d) Noboru Wataya.
3. What does Toru give Creta in Chapter 14 in exchange for sex?
(a) A blank check.
(b) His rope ladder.
(c) Mr. Honda's empty box.
(d) Some of Kumiko's clothing.
4. What tune is the waiter whistling in Toru's Chapter 8 dream?
(a) Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain.
(b) Rossini's Thieving Magpie.
(c) Mahler's Resurrection.
(d) Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf.
5. What color is the mark that Toru discovers on his cheek in Chapter 12?
6. How does the actress in the Miyawaki house kill herself?
(a) She takes pills.
(b) She drowns herself.
(c) She shoots herself.
(d) She hangs herself.
7. Who pulls the rope ladder up from the well in Chapter 9?
(a) Malta Kano.
(b) Toru's uncle.
(d) May Kasahara.
8. How long does the American submarine in Chapter 9 give the Japanese transport before it fires in it?
(a) 1 hour.
(b) 2 hours.
(c) It fires on sight.
(d) 10 minutes.
9. In his letter in Chapter 4, Mamiya says that - when he was at the bottom of the well in Mongolia - he believes something what living in what?
(a) The silence.
(b) The solitude.
(c) The light.
(d) The damp.
10. After how many days of people-watching does Toru Okada see the man with the guitar case?
11. In Chapter 2, what does Toru Okada tell the woman on the street he needs?
(b) Eighty million yen.
(c) A well.
12. For what problem has Kumiko sought the advice of Malta Kano in Chapter 3?
(a) The Okadas' flailing marriage.
(b) The Okadas' missing cat.
(c) Kumiko's brother's professional problems.
(d) Toru Okada's lack of a job.
13. Where does Toru's Chapter 8 dream take place?
(a) A hotel.
(b) His house.
(c) A ballroom.
(d) A fancy restaurant.
14. For much of Chapter 6, Nutmeg goes shopping with Toru for what?
(b) A new house.
(c) A car.
15. In Chapter 12, Lieutenant Mamiya describes a secret mission he and Honda were a part of. What country did this mission illegally enter?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years after Kumiko and Toru are married does she become unexpectedly pregnant?
2. What does the silent young man in Chapter 4 give Toru Okada to keep him from seeing where they are going?
3. Why did Creta Kano couple with Toru in his dream?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what does Toru remember doing with his father as a child?
5. Why does Mamiya say he is no longer afraid of dying?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)