|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Toru admit to May Kasahara in Chapter 10?
(a) Kumiko has left him.
(b) He is frightened she will let him die.
(c) He and Kumiko once had an abortion.
(d) He is depressed.
2. In Chapter 8, how does Creta Kano say she eventually managed to pay off her debts?
(a) She became a prostitute.
(b) She sold her family house.
(c) She went to work for her sister.
(d) She won the lottery.
3. In Chapter 12, Lieutenant Mamiya describes a secret mission he and Honda were a part of. What country did this mission illegally enter?
4. What town is Toru Okada in when Kumiko call to tell him she had an abortion?
5. Where does Toru Okada find his necktie in Chapter 4?
(a) His work items that he packed.
(b) The street.
(c) His neighbor's house.
(d) The dry cleaners.
6. For what type of business does May Kasahara administer surveys?
(a) A pachinko parlor.
(b) A law office.
(c) A restaurant chain.
(d) A wig factory.
7. How long does the American submarine in Chapter 9 give the Japanese transport before it fires in it?
(a) 2 hours.
(b) It fires on sight.
(c) 10 minutes.
(d) 1 hour.
8. In Chapter 14, Creta Kano states that she now considers her physically numb state from before she met Noboru Wataya to be what?
(a) A perfect state.
(b) A transitional state.
(c) A dream state.
(d) A deluded state.
9. According to Toru's uncle in Chapter 13, how did Mr. Miyawaki lose all of his money?
(a) Opening a failed restaurant.
(b) A run on his bank.
(c) A crippling drug addiction.
(d) A bad stock deal.
10. What is Toru Okada cooking when he first receives a call from the mysterious woman in Chapter 1?
(b) Baked Chicken.
(c) Hot oatmeal.
(d) Stir fry.
11. What does the factory where May Kasahara works produce?
(c) Computer chips.
12. What color is the mark that Toru discovers on his cheek in Chapter 12?
13. For much of Chapter 6, Nutmeg goes shopping with Toru for what?
(b) A car.
(c) A new house.
14. How does May's visit to the bottom of the well affect her self image?
(a) She is more happy than usual.
(b) She is less sure of herself.
(c) She is perpetually angry.
(d) She cannot stop crying.
15. What does Toru Okada rename his cat in Chapter 6?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the prophesied caller beginning with "O" that calls Toru Okada in Chapter 1?
2. In Chapter 11, Toru Okada is surprised to find packaging for what in his waste-basket?
3. What does Toru Okada use to climb down into the well at the end of Chapter 5?
4. What does the shorter of the two men in Chapter 3 do while the protagonist watches?
5. In his letter in Chapter 4, Mamiya says that - when he was at the bottom of the well in Mongolia - he believes something what living in what?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)