|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, Toru Okada is surprised to find packaging for what in his waste-basket?
(c) A portable phone.
2. What dangerous animal survives the massacre in Chapter 9?
3. What changes about the style of writing in Chapter 3?
(a) It changes to French.
(b) It changes to a third-person point of view.
(c) It is presented as a newspaper article.
(d) It switches from prose to poetry.
4. In the beginning of Book 3, why does Toru suspect he has not heard from Kumiko?
(a) She never actually existed.
(b) She is dead.
(c) She is being imprisoned by her family.
(d) She is truly happy without him.
5. What animal inhabits the disgusting island that is the subject of Toru Okada's metaphorical story in Chapter 3?
6. What is the style of writing that Chapter 7 is supposed to be?
(a) A letter.
(b) A research paper.
(c) A journal.
(d) An article.
7. Why can the protagonist clearly see two figures in the night in Chapter 3?
(a) The figures are glowing.
(b) It is a full moon.
(c) There are street lamps illuminating the area.
(d) He can see in the dark.
8. Why has Toru Okada never met Kumiko's sister?
(a) She refuses to meet him.
(b) She lives in the United States.
(c) She died at age 11.
(d) She is estranged from the Watayas.
9. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what does Toru remember doing with his father as a child?
(a) Going to a baseball game.
(c) Playing cards on a sunny day.
10. Where does Toru's Chapter 8 dream take place?
(a) His house.
(b) A ballroom.
(c) A fancy restaurant.
(d) A hotel.
11. In Chapter 14, Creta Kano states that she now considers her physically numb state from before she met Noboru Wataya to be what?
(a) A perfect state.
(b) A dream state.
(c) A deluded state.
(d) A transitional state.
12. In Chapter 2, what does Toru Okada tell the woman on the street he needs?
(b) A well.
(c) Eighty million yen.
13. What color is the mark that Toru discovers on his cheek in Chapter 12?
14. Who eventually rescues Toru from the well?
(a) May Kasahara.
(b) Malta Kano.
(c) Creta Kano.
15. What sensation is Creta Kano surprised to feel when Noboru Wataya has sex with her?
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does May Kasahara castigate Toru Okada in Chapter 5?
2. For what problem has Kumiko sought the advice of Malta Kano in Chapter 3?
3. What code name is used in Chapter 7 to refer tot he owner of the "hanging house"?
4. How does the actress in the Miyawaki house kill herself?
5. After how many days of people-watching does Toru Okada see the man with the guitar case?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)