|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the zoo mentioned in Chapter 9?
2. How long ago was the last time Noboru Wataya and Toru Okada met as of Chapter 3?
(a) Six years.
(b) Five months.
(c) Three years.
(d) One year.
3. What does Malta Kano do on her international travels?
(a) Give public demonstrations of her abilities.
(b) Attend conferences.
(c) Sample water.
(d) Make psychic house calls.
4. In Chapter 12, Lieutenant Mamiya describes a secret mission he and Honda were a part of. What country did this mission illegally enter?
5. What does Toru Okada use to climb down into the well at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) A long plank.
(b) A bungie cord.
(c) A rope ladder.
(d) A harness.
6. After how many days of people-watching does Toru Okada see the man with the guitar case?
7. What career advice does Toru Okada recall Mr. Honda giving in Chapter 4?
(a) He should ask for a raise.
(b) He should start showing up late to work.
(c) He should become a public defender.
(d) He should quit law.
8. What does the factory where May Kasahara works produce?
(a) Computer chips.
9. For much of Chapter 6, Nutmeg goes shopping with Toru for what?
(c) A car.
(d) A new house.
10. What does Creta Kano cook for breakfast in Chapter 13?
(a) Scrambled eggs.
(c) French toast.
11. What does the woman do to Toru's mark in Chapter 4?
(a) She takes a picture of it.
(b) She spears it with a scalpel.
(c) The rubs it.
(d) She licks it.
12. In Chapter 11, Toru Okada is surprised to find packaging for what in his waste-basket?
(c) A portable phone.
13. What object does Toru Okada discover in the well in Chapter 8?
(a) A bat.
(b) A necktie.
(c) A box.
(d) A beer.
14. What article of clothing does Toru Okada agree to wear to his meeting with Malta Cano in Chapter 3?
(a) White shoes.
(b) A pink dress shirt.
(c) A blue pinstriped blazer.
(d) A polka dot tie.
15. Who is Malta Kano looking for when she calls Toru Okada at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) Mr. Honda.
(b) Noboru Wataya.
(c) Toru himself.
(d) Creta Kano.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a letter Toru receives in Chapter 11, who does Kumiko say she is having an affair with?
2. What does Toru find in the envelope the silent boy gives him?
3. What animal inhabits the disgusting island that is the subject of Toru Okada's metaphorical story in Chapter 3?
4. How many years after Kumiko and Toru are married does she become unexpectedly pregnant?
5. What sensation is Creta Kano surprised to feel when Noboru Wataya has sex with her?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)