|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who eventually rescues Toru from the well?
(b) Creta Kano.
(c) May Kasahara.
(d) Malta Kano.
2. For what does May Kasahara castigate Toru Okada in Chapter 5?
(a) Not washing his clothes.
(b) Not showing up at work with her.
(c) Giving up on finding his cat.
(d) Having too many women around him.
3. For what problem has Kumiko sought the advice of Malta Kano in Chapter 3?
(a) Kumiko's brother's professional problems.
(b) The Okadas' flailing marriage.
(c) Toru Okada's lack of a job.
(d) The Okadas' missing cat.
4. Why can the protagonist clearly see two figures in the night in Chapter 3?
(a) There are street lamps illuminating the area.
(b) The figures are glowing.
(c) It is a full moon.
(d) He can see in the dark.
5. When dis Koru and Kumiko Okada stop taking to Kumiko's parents?
(a) After Koru quit his job.
(b) After Koru had a fight with her father.
(c) After Noburu Wataya began chieving success.
(d) After Kumiko's sister died.
6. What does Toru give Creta in Chapter 14 in exchange for sex?
(a) His rope ladder.
(b) Some of Kumiko's clothing.
(c) Mr. Honda's empty box.
(d) A blank check.
7. What era does Creta Kano's style of dress remind Toru Okada of?
(a) The 1920's.
(b) The Victorian Era.
(c) The early 1980's.
(d) The 1960's
8. In Chapter 13, what memory of Yanamoto's death does in Lieutenant Mamiya say he will never forget?
(a) His eye contact.
(b) His frantic prayers.
(c) His screams.
(d) His blood pooling beneath him.
9. What similarity exists between the veterinarian in Chapter 9 and Toru Okada?
(a) They are both the same height.
(b) They both spend time in dry wells.
(c) They both have a blue mark.
(d) They both have been left by their wives.
10. Why did Creta Kano couple with Toru in his dream?
(a) She felt sorry for him.
(b) She intends to blackmail him.
(c) She is ridiculously attracted to him.
(d) Malta asked her to.
11. After how many days of people-watching does Toru Okada see the man with the guitar case?
12. How long ago was the last time Noboru Wataya and Toru Okada met as of Chapter 3?
(a) Five months.
(b) Six years.
(c) One year.
(d) Three years.
13. When Toru Okada is certain Kumiko is gone at the beginning of Book 2, what does he discover she has taken with her?
(b) Their wedding album.
(c) Her check-book.
(d) All her shoes and dresses.
14. At the end of Chapter 2, Malta Kano calls Toru Okada to set up a meeting between him and whom?
(b) Noboru Wataya.
(c) His uncle.
(d) Creta Kano.
15. How long does the American submarine in Chapter 9 give the Japanese transport before it fires in it?
(a) 2 hours.
(b) 1 hour.
(c) It fires on sight.
(d) 10 minutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is May Kasahara's family when Toru visits in Chapter 15?
2. What does Malta Kano assure Toru Okada that he will find at the end of their meeting?
3. For much of Chapter 6, Nutmeg goes shopping with Toru for what?
4. In his letter in Chapter 4, Mamiya says that - when he was at the bottom of the well in Mongolia - he believes something what living in what?
5. In Chapter 16, Toru and the man with the guitar case fight with what weapon?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)