|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the factory where May Kasahara works produce?
(b) Computer chips.
2. How does May Kasahara describe her love life in Chapter 5?
(a) She refuses to date.
(b) She is engaged.
(c) She has a boyfriend.
(d) She has been on one date.
3. What is Toru Okada's duty working with May Kasahara in Chapter 9?
(a) Filing paperwork for her.
(b) Approaching men on the streets.
(c) Setting up wig displays.
(d) Counting bald heads.
4. Why can the protagonist clearly see two figures in the night in Chapter 3?
(a) There are street lamps illuminating the area.
(b) It is a full moon.
(c) He can see in the dark.
(d) The figures are glowing.
5. Where do Kumiko and Toru Okada meet for their first date?
(a) A mall.
(b) A theatre.
(c) A coffee shop.
(d) An aquarium.
6. When dis Koru and Kumiko Okada stop taking to Kumiko's parents?
(a) After Kumiko's sister died.
(b) After Koru quit his job.
(c) After Noburu Wataya began chieving success.
(d) After Koru had a fight with her father.
7. What does Toru find in the envelope the silent boy gives him?
(b) The deed to the Miyawki house.
(c) A photo of him in Creta Kano.
(d) Kumiko's wedding ring.
8. What does Malta Kano assure Toru Okada that he will find at the end of their meeting?
(a) A new house.
(b) His tie.
(c) His cat.
(d) A job.
9. What era does Creta Kano's style of dress remind Toru Okada of?
(a) The early 1980's.
(b) The Victorian Era.
(c) The 1960's
(d) The 1920's.
10. How does Toru Okada rationalize his wife's curtness to him in Chapter 2?
(a) She has PMS.
(b) She thinks he is a failure.
(c) She had a bad day at work.
(d) She is a woman.
11. What is Toru Okada cooking when he first receives a call from the mysterious woman in Chapter 1?
(b) Baked Chicken.
(c) Stir fry.
(d) Hot oatmeal.
12. What does May Kasahara do before leaving the well at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) She closes the lid.
(b) She tosses down some food.
(c) She blows Toru a kiss.
(d) She throws a rock at Toru.
13. What does Toru Okada use to climb down into the well at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) A long plank.
(b) A rope ladder.
(c) A bungie cord.
(d) A harness.
14. What remembrance from the dead Honda does Lieutenant Mamiya give Toru Okada at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) A bayonet.
(b) A pair of spectacles.
(c) A war medal.
(d) An empty box.
15. In his letter in Chapter 4, Mamiya says that - when he was at the bottom of the well in Mongolia - he believes something what living in what?
(a) The silence.
(b) The solitude.
(c) The damp.
(d) The light.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what does Toru Okada tell the woman on the street he needs?
2. Who dies in Chapter 1?
3. For what problem has Kumiko sought the advice of Malta Kano in Chapter 3?
4. Where does Toru Okada find his necktie in Chapter 4?
5. What does the shorter of the two men in Chapter 3 do while the protagonist watches?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)