|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the factory where May Kasahara works produce?
(b) Computer chips.
2. What color is the mark that Toru discovers on his cheek in Chapter 12?
3. How did May Kasahara cause her boyfriend's death?
(a) She ran him over with a car.
(b) She pushed him over a bridge guardrail.
(c) She covered his eyes on a motorcycle.
(d) She stabbed him with a fake sword.
4. Who tells the story of the massacre in Chapter 9?
(c) Lt. Mamiya.
5. What horrific action does the man with the guitar case undertake in Toru's dream in Chapter 16?
(a) He sets himself on fire.
(b) He castrates himself.
(c) He skins himself.
(d) He drowns himself.
6. What remembrance from the dead Honda does Lieutenant Mamiya give Toru Okada at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) A war medal.
(b) A pair of spectacles.
(c) An empty box.
(d) A bayonet.
7. According to Toru's uncle in Chapter 13, how did Mr. Miyawaki lose all of his money?
(a) A bad stock deal.
(b) A run on his bank.
(c) A crippling drug addiction.
(d) Opening a failed restaurant.
8. What does the woman do to Toru's mark in Chapter 4?
(a) The rubs it.
(b) She licks it.
(c) She spears it with a scalpel.
(d) She takes a picture of it.
9. Where does Toru Okada find his necktie in Chapter 4?
(a) His neighbor's house.
(b) The dry cleaners.
(c) His work items that he packed.
(d) The street.
10. What is Toru Okada's duty working with May Kasahara in Chapter 9?
(a) Approaching men on the streets.
(b) Counting bald heads.
(c) Filing paperwork for her.
(d) Setting up wig displays.
11. Who chooses the pseudonyms Nutmeg and Cinnamon?
(a) Noboru Wataya.
12. In Chapter 11, Toru Okada is surprised to find packaging for what in his waste-basket?
(c) A portable phone.
13. What does the silent young man in Chapter 4 give Toru Okada to keep him from seeing where they are going?
(a) A scarf.
(c) A night-mask.
(d) A hood.
14. Where do Kumiko and Toru Okada meet for their first date?
(a) A coffee shop.
(b) A theatre.
(c) A mall.
(d) An aquarium.
15. Why can the protagonist clearly see two figures in the night in Chapter 3?
(a) The figures are glowing.
(b) There are street lamps illuminating the area.
(c) He can see in the dark.
(d) It is a full moon.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does May Kasahara castigate Toru Okada in Chapter 5?
2. In Chapter 13, what memory of Yanamoto's death does in Lieutenant Mamiya say he will never forget?
3. What does Malta Kano do on her international travels?
4. In a letter Toru receives in Chapter 11, who does Kumiko say she is having an affair with?
5. In Chapter 7, what comes and goes from the "hanging house" with odd regularity?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)