|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Creta Kano couple with Toru in his dream?
(a) She intends to blackmail him.
(b) She felt sorry for him.
(c) She is ridiculously attracted to him.
(d) Malta asked her to.
2. What sensation is Creta Kano surprised to feel when Noboru Wataya has sex with her?
3. In a reminiscence in Chapter 9, why does Kumiko refuse to speak to Toru Okada for three days?
(a) She gives no reason.
(b) He breaks a family heirloom.
(c) He quits his job.
(d) He almost cheats on her.
4. What color is the mark that Toru discovers on his cheek in Chapter 12?
5. Where does Toru Okada find his necktie in Chapter 4?
(a) The dry cleaners.
(b) His work items that he packed.
(c) The street.
(d) His neighbor's house.
6. How does May's visit to the bottom of the well affect her self image?
(a) She cannot stop crying.
(b) She is perpetually angry.
(c) She is more happy than usual.
(d) She is less sure of herself.
7. Where is May Kasahara's family when Toru visits in Chapter 15?
(a) They are at church.
(b) They are at their summer home.
(c) They are moving their things to an apartment.
(d) They are running errands.
8. What does the factory where May Kasahara works produce?
(c) Computer chips.
9. How does May Kasahara describe her love life in Chapter 5?
(a) She has a boyfriend.
(b) She refuses to date.
(c) She is engaged.
(d) She has been on one date.
10. Topographically, where is the town in which May Kasahara is working in Chapter 5?
(a) In the lowlands.
(b) By the woods.
(c) On the beach.
(d) In the mountains.
11. What does Malta Kano assure Toru Okada that he will find at the end of their meeting?
(a) His tie.
(b) A new house.
(c) A job.
(d) His cat.
12. What does May Kasahara do before leaving the well at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) She blows Toru a kiss.
(b) She closes the lid.
(c) She tosses down some food.
(d) She throws a rock at Toru.
13. What is Toru Okada's duty working with May Kasahara in Chapter 9?
(a) Counting bald heads.
(b) Filing paperwork for her.
(c) Setting up wig displays.
(d) Approaching men on the streets.
14. What does Toru Okada rename his cat in Chapter 6?
15. What changes about the style of writing in Chapter 3?
(a) It switches from prose to poetry.
(b) It changes to French.
(c) It changes to a third-person point of view.
(d) It is presented as a newspaper article.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who eventually rescues Toru from the well?
2. What horrific action does the man with the guitar case undertake in Toru's dream in Chapter 16?
3. Why has Toru Okada never met Kumiko's sister?
4. In Chapter 8, how does Creta Kano say she eventually managed to pay off her debts?
5. In Chapter 12, Lieutenant Mamiya describes a secret mission he and Honda were a part of. What country did this mission illegally enter?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)