|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What strategy does Roz use that works to drive her pursuers away?
(a) She asks the beavers if she can hide in their lodge.
(b) She jumps into the ocean and swims out of reach.
(c) She camouflages herself with moss.
(d) She jumps into a tree and shakes pinecones down onto their heads.
2. Why does Loudwing send Roz to speak to Mr. Beaver?
(a) So he can tell her how to raise an orphan.
(b) So he can build her a shelter for Brightbill.
(c) So he can use his tail to grind corn that Brightbill can eat.
(d) So he can carve a bed out of wood for Brightbill to sleep in.
3. Where do most of the island's residents gather during the hour of peace at dawn?
(a) At the Y in the River.
(b) In the Great Meadow.
(c) In the Flower Garden.
(d) On the Rocky Shore.
4. What type of bird begins to circle Roz's head when it feels she is threatening its nest?
(a) A bluejay.
(b) A robin.
(c) A falcon.
(d) An eagle.
5. What is the one thing Roz DOES know at the time she realizes she is on an island?
(a) She had washed ashore in a crate.
(b) She is home.
(c) The ship she had been on sank in a hurricane.
(d) She had been built in a factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Loudwing give for her belief that it will be a miracle if Brightbill survives?
2. What does Roz do to survive the threat she encounters on the mountaintop?
3. What happens to make Roz feel unsafe on the mountaintop she has chosen?
4. What materials does Roz NOT use to camouflage herself?
5. Before Roz leaves the camouflaged creature, she speaks to it. What does she say?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event occurs that is an impetus to ending Roz's loneliness and alienation?
2. What important element of Roz's programming does the reader learn about when she is unable to defend herself during the bear attack?
3. When Roz notices a particularly well-attended meeting in the Great Meadow one morning, what happens during the meeting?
4. What does Roz realize once the sun fully charges her battery and what does this realization cause her to do?
5. What pseudo-emotion does Roz feel when she sees that the island creatures have made it through the storm just fine?
6. How do the sounds that Roz makes contrast with the sounds already occurring within the forest prior to her arrival?
7. What types of creatures does Roz first study to begin her gradual acquisition of the many languages spoken on the island?
8. What is ironic about Loudwing's advice to Roz regarding how "easy" motherhood is?
9. Why are Roz's decisions about how to use her headlights in the wilderness significant to the story?
10. What is Roz's first major act in service of another creature?
This section contains 1,269 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)