|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How high did John climb in Chapter 15?
2. Who was with John and his friend as they approached the mountain in Chapter 13?
3. Where did John go in Chapter 15?
4. What was the lake in Chapter 17 known for?
5. What occurred the day after the natural event that unnerved white settlers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happened on March 26, 1872. Explain what John was doing at the time. How did he react to the earthquake?
2. Who was Reverend S. Hall Young? Why was he in Alaska?
3. How did the artists react when John returned from his climb of Mount Ritter? Why?
4. What happened at the beginning of John's exploration of Tenaya Canyon? How did he react to it?
5. Describe John's first two encounters with rattlesnakes.
6. How did John feel about the view at Tenaya Canyon? How do you know?
7. What difficulties did John face on a survey in the wilderness with Captain A. F. Rodgers?
8. What advice did John give to people experiencing storms?
9. What happened to John on his climb of Mount Ritter that ranked it among one of his most difficult?
10. What happened to Reverend Young while he was with John climbing mountains?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the ice cone. Why did John want to explore it? What did he learn from it?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why John was considered a risk-taker, including at least three examples of risky behavior from The Wild Muir.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how John's childhood experiences specifically shaped his life in the wilderness.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)