|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What could John NOT see from the mountain, according to Chapter 13?
2. Whose version of events is in the second part of Chapter 19?
3. How is the account in Chapter 18 written?
4. In what month did Chapter 15 occur?
5. What was eaten by the animals that John was initially prejudiced against, according to Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who probably were the three friends mentioned in the Mono Lake Windstorm adventure? What were their careers?
2. What happened on John's difficult climb up Mount Shasta?
3. What advice did John give to people experiencing storms?
4. What happened to Reverend Young while he was with John climbing mountains?
5. Explain what happened on March 26, 1872. Explain what John was doing at the time. How did he react to the earthquake?
6. How does the account of John's climb up Mount Shasta by Augustus Frederick Rodgers differ from John's account?
7. How is the account in Chapter 15 different from other accounts of John's adventures?
8. Who was William Keith? What was his relationship with John?
9. How did the indigenous tribes of Yosemite react to the earthquake?
10. How did John feel about the view at Tenaya Canyon? How do you know?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of weather in John Muir's life and adventures.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the ice cone. Why did John want to explore it? What did he learn from it?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast John's adventures alone with his adventures with companions. Why are there such differences in his adventures with companions?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)