|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How big was the lake John took his friends to in Chapter 17?
2. What caused the things John wanted to track the origin of in Chapter 12?
3. What composed the lake John took his friends to?
4. On what day did John lead a party up Mount Shasta?
5. How tall is Mount Shasta?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to John on his climb of Mount Ritter that ranked it among one of his most difficult?
2. What was the role of rattlesnakes in California, according to Chapter 11?
3. Explain what happened on March 26, 1872. Explain what John was doing at the time. How did he react to the earthquake?
4. Describe John's first two encounters with rattlesnakes.
5. What happened to Reverend Young while he was with John climbing mountains?
6. What difficulties did John face on a survey in the wilderness with Captain A. F. Rodgers?
7. Explain John's view of trees.
8. How is the account in Chapter 15 different from other accounts of John's adventures?
9. What happened on John's difficult climb up Mount Shasta?
10. Describe John's third encounter with a rattlesnake. How did this change his treatment of them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how John's childhood experiences specifically shaped his life in the wilderness.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how John Muir spent his "retirement."
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role animals played in John's life and adventures.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)