|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanied John as he led a party up Mount Shasta?
2. In what year did Chapter 12 take place?
3. In what year did Chapter 16 occur?
4. What nationality was John's friend, according to Chapter 13?
5. What natural event occurred in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain John's view of trees.
2. What happened to Reverend Young while he was with John climbing mountains?
3. What happened at the beginning of John's exploration of Tenaya Canyon? How did he react to it?
4. What advice did John give to people experiencing storms?
5. Who probably were the three friends mentioned in the Mono Lake Windstorm adventure? What were their careers?
6. How is the account in Chapter 15 different from other accounts of John's adventures?
7. Who was William Keith? What was his relationship with John?
8. What was the role of rattlesnakes in California, according to Chapter 11?
9. How does the account of John's climb up Mount Shasta by Augustus Frederick Rodgers differ from John's account?
10. What did John argue about glacial activity? What did this lead him to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain John's Muir's last adventure, according to The Wild Muir.
Essay Topic 2
Explain John's role in the preservation of wilderness in the Western Hemisphere, particularly the creation of Yosemite National Park.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why John was considered a risk-taker, including at least three examples of risky behavior from The Wild Muir.
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)