|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was NOT one of the friends John is probably referring to in Chapter 17?
2. What canyon did John explore when he left the city in Chapter 14?
3. How did John reassure the group's worry as he led them up Mount Shasta?
4. What denomination was the minister who met John on a steamboat?
5. How is the account in Chapter 18 written?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the role of rattlesnakes in California, according to Chapter 11?
2. Where did John spend some time in the winter of 1872? How did he feel about this?
3. Explain John's relationship with Louise Wanda Strentzel.
4. How did John feel about the view at Tenaya Canyon? How do you know?
5. Why was John's judgment obscured in the incident on Mono Lake?
6. Who was William Keith? What was his relationship with John?
7. What advice did John give to people experiencing storms?
8. How is the account in Chapter 15 different from other accounts of John's adventures?
9. What happened on John's difficult climb up Mount Shasta?
10. How did the indigenous tribes of Yosemite react to the earthquake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain John's Muir's last adventure, according to The Wild Muir.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role instinct played in John's adventures. Use at least one example from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast John's reactions to the Inyo Earthquake with the reactions of the indigenous tribes and white settlers.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)