|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What friend of John is introduced in Chapter 13?
2. How is the account in Chapter 18 written?
3. What natural event occurred in Chapter 15?
4. What time of day did John decide to climb in Chapter 15?
5. How many rattlesnake kills did John regret in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was William Keith? What was his relationship with John?
2. What advice did John give to people experiencing storms?
3. How did the indigenous tribes of Yosemite react to the earthquake?
4. Describe John's tree-climbing experience.
5. What happened to Reverend Young while he was with John climbing mountains?
6. Who probably were the three friends mentioned in the Mono Lake Windstorm adventure? What were their careers?
7. Describe John's first two encounters with rattlesnakes.
8. Explain what happened on March 26, 1872. Explain what John was doing at the time. How did he react to the earthquake?
9. How did the artists react when John returned from his climb of Mount Ritter? Why?
10. What happened at the beginning of John's exploration of Tenaya Canyon? How did he react to it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the relationship between John Muir and Reverend S. Hall Young.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast John's reactions to the Inyo Earthquake with the reactions of the indigenous tribes and white settlers.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role instinct played in John's adventures. Use at least one example from the book to support your position.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)