|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of John's favorite playgrounds?
2. Where did John's father take the family in Chapter 2?
3. Where was the ice cone?
4. How long did John explore the Sierra Nevada, according to Chapter 8?
5. What was replaced on the Yosemite, according to Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did John feel about shepherding? How did he deal with his feelings?
2. Describe the ice cone.
3. Explain John's eye injury, and what happened afterward.
4. What did John do in the days after his first encounter with a bear?
5. Explain John's bout with a fever in Chapter 5.
6. How did John feel about city life?
7. Explain John's first encounter with a bear.
8. Did John have free time? If so, what did he do with it. If not, why not?
9. What was the winter like in Yosemite Valley? How did the people and animals deal with the weather?
10. What were John's geographical movements at the beginning of Chapter 6? What work did he do at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the relationship between John Muir and his father.
Essay Topic 2
Give at least two examples of lives that John saved, other than his own, on his adventures. Explain the circumstances of these events.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast John's reactions to the Inyo Earthquake with the reactions of the indigenous tribes and white settlers.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)