|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concerned John about his destination in Chapter 5?
2. What animal did John's father encourage him to imitate?
3. From where did John earn a degree?
4. What was John's father's name?
5. What was the weather like in the valley in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Did John have free time? If so, what did he do with it. If not, why not?
2. After his second encounter with a bear, explain how John's attitude and behavior toward bears changed.
3. What did John do in 1869?
4. What happened to John when he was finishing the well that needed to be dug on the family's land?
5. What happened when John reached Yosemite Falls?
6. How did John feel about city life?
7. Why did John hike in the winter? What do you think this particular season offered that was different from warmer weather hikes?
8. Who was John's father? What kind of man was he? How do you know?
9. Explain avalanche-riding. What was John's experience with it?
10. What two characteristics are common to Scottish children, according to John?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role instinct played in John's adventures. Use at least one example from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the ice cone. Why did John want to explore it? What did he learn from it?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast John's reactions to the Inyo Earthquake with the reactions of the indigenous tribes and white settlers.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)