|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John call the risky games he played as a child?
2. How old was John when his family relocated in Chapter 3?
3. How did John and the bear react in their first encounter?
4. What agreement did John make with the owner of the boat in order to gain passage?
5. Why did John's father move the family in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the residents of Yosemite Valley think of John?
2. Explain John's eye injury, and what happened afterward.
3. What did John do in the days after his first encounter with a bear?
4. What did John and his siblings learn about their home? Who tells them?
5. What are "scoochers?" Give one example.
6. Explain John's climbing of the ice cone.
7. Explain John's education, and what he did with his degree.
8. What happened to John when he was finishing the well that needed to be dug on the family's land?
9. What two characteristics are common to Scottish children, according to John?
10. After his second encounter with a bear, explain how John's attitude and behavior toward bears changed.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is John Muir's legacy? What does he have to give to future generations?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why John was considered a risk-taker, including at least three examples of risky behavior from The Wild Muir.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship between John Muir and Reverend S. Hall Young.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)