|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was replaced on the Yosemite, according to Chapter 10?
2. How did the bear react when John encountered it a second time?
3. Where did John go after heading south in Chapter 5?
4. How did John react when he spent a summer in the city?
5. Where did John's father move the family in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain John's second encounter with a bear.
2. What happened when John reached Yosemite Falls?
3. How did John feel about shepherding? How did he deal with his feelings?
4. Why did John hike in the winter? What do you think this particular season offered that was different from warmer weather hikes?
5. Explain John's first encounter with a bear.
6. Who was John's father? What kind of man was he? How do you know?
7. What happened when Daniel encouraged his children to imitate frogs to learn to swim? How did John react?
8. What happened to John when he was finishing the well that needed to be dug on the family's land?
9. What was the winter like in Yosemite Valley? How did the people and animals deal with the weather?
10. Explain John's bout with a fever in Chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the events that led to John's commitment to a life in the wilderness.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the ice cone. Why did John want to explore it? What did he learn from it?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast John's reactions to the Inyo Earthquake with the reactions of the indigenous tribes and white settlers.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)