|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who accompanied John as he led a party up Mount Shasta?
(a) His father.
(b) James Fey.
(c) An unnamed friend.
(d) William Keith.
2. What did John do when he reached the half-way point of the mountain?
(a) He stopped.
(b) He sent up a flare.
(c) He went back down the mountain.
(d) He set up a semi-permanent camp.
3. What did John decide to climb while he was out in nature in Chapter 15?
(a) A tree.
(b) A mountain.
(c) A boulder.
(d) A cliff face.
4. Where did John and his friends seek refuge in the adventure on the lake?
(a) An old hut.
(b) In a small cave.
(c) Under an abandoned dock.
(d) A small cabin.
5. On what day did John lead a party up Mount Shasta?
(a) June 16th.
(b) April 16th.
(c) April 28th.
(d) May 9th.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the steamboat captain that John turned Reverend Young over to in Chapter 19?
2. On what lake did the adventure in Chapter 17 take place?
3. Why did John lead a party up Mount Shasta?
4. What is different about the second version of events in Chapter 19?
5. What natural event occurred in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain John's relationship with Louise Wanda Strentzel.
2. Describe John's tree-climbing experience.
3. How did the indigenous tribes of Yosemite react to the earthquake?
4. Where did John spend some time in the winter of 1872? How did he feel about this?
5. Explain what happened on March 26, 1872. Explain what John was doing at the time. How did he react to the earthquake?
6. Who was Reverend S. Hall Young? Why was he in Alaska?
7. How did John feel about the view at Tenaya Canyon? How do you know?
8. What happened on John's difficult climb up Mount Shasta?
9. What difficulties did John face on a survey in the wilderness with Captain A. F. Rodgers?
10. Describe the adventure John had with a small dog in Chapter 20.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)