|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How wide was the crevasse John and the dog encountered on a glacier?
(a) 60 feet.
(b) 50 feet.
(c) 30 feet.
(d) 40 feet.
2. How many trips did John take to Alaska?
3. The Yosemite indigenous believed that _____________ caused the natural event that was discussed in Chapter 12.
(a) Another tribe's medicine man.
(b) Angry spirits.
(c) White settlers.
(d) The god of the mountains.
4. In what year did Chapter 16 occur?
(b) The exact year is not known.
5. According to a note by Reverend Young, how long did John hike with the dog?
(a) 17 hours.
(b) 12 hours.
(c) Two days.
(d) Nearly 24 hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did John reassure the group's worry as he led them up Mount Shasta?
2. How did John treat rattlesnakes after his initial encounters with them in Chapter 11?
3. What nationality was John's friend, according to Chapter 13?
4. How many rattlesnakes did John kill in Chapter 11?
5. What was John taking care of in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the account of John's climb up Mount Shasta by Augustus Frederick Rodgers differ from John's account?
2. How did the indigenous tribes of Yosemite react to the earthquake?
3. How did the artists react when John returned from his climb of Mount Ritter? Why?
4. What happened on John's difficult climb up Mount Shasta?
5. How is the account in Chapter 15 different from other accounts of John's adventures?
6. What happened to John on his climb of Mount Ritter that ranked it among one of his most difficult?
7. Describe John's third encounter with a rattlesnake. How did this change his treatment of them?
8. What did John argue about glacial activity? What did this lead him to do?
9. Describe John's tree-climbing experience.
10. Where did John spend some time in the winter of 1872? How did he feel about this?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)