|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did one of John's most difficult climbs take place, according to Chapter 13?
2. Why did John and his friend spend several days at a campsite on their excursion?
(a) They were tracking an animal who has stopped.
(b) It had a beautiful view.
(c) They were sketching the landscape.
(d) John injured himself.
3. In what season did the events of Chapter 17 probably occur?
4. What natural event occurred in Chapter 15?
(a) A tornado.
(b) A flood.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A storm.
5. Why did John do something different at the half-way point of the mountain?
(a) He had run out of water.
(b) He wanted to prepare for future climbs.
(c) He couldn't move up or down.
(d) He wanted to let his friend know where he was on the climb.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many rattlesnakes did John kill in Chapter 11?
2. How many trips did John take to Alaska?
3. On what edge of the mountain did John begin his climb?
4. According to a note by Reverend Young, how long did John hike with the dog?
5. What composed the lake John took his friends to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain John's relationship with Louise Wanda Strentzel.
2. Describe John's third encounter with a rattlesnake. How did this change his treatment of them?
3. How did the artists react when John returned from his climb of Mount Ritter? Why?
4. What did John argue about glacial activity? What did this lead him to do?
5. Describe John's tree-climbing experience.
6. How does the account of John's climb up Mount Shasta by Augustus Frederick Rodgers differ from John's account?
7. Describe John's first two encounters with rattlesnakes.
8. What happened to Reverend Young while he was with John climbing mountains?
9. What happened to John on his climb of Mount Ritter that ranked it among one of his most difficult?
10. Explain what happened on March 26, 1872. Explain what John was doing at the time. How did he react to the earthquake?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)