|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many rattlesnake kills did John regret in Chapter 11?
(a) None of them; he didn't kill any.
(b) All of them.
(c) Both of them.
(d) Only the first.
2. What was the lake in Chapter 17 known for?
(a) Lily pads and flowers almost year-round.
(c) Frequent storms.
3. What worry did the group have as John led them up Mount Shasta?
(a) The trek would be too difficult for the group.
(b) There were wild animals that would hurt them.
(c) A storm would come up.
(d) They didn't have enough supplies.
4. What occurred the day after the natural event that unnerved white settlers?
(a) An eerie calm in the area.
(c) A snow storm.
(d) A rain storm.
5. What friend of John is introduced in Chapter 13?
(a) S. Young.
(b) Ernie Anderson.
(c) William Keith.
(d) Daniel Childers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did John treat rattlesnakes after his initial encounters with them in Chapter 11?
2. What natural event occurred in Chapter 15?
3. Where did John go in Chapter 15?
4. How many glaciers did John explore?
5. On what day did Chapter 12 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe John's first two encounters with rattlesnakes.
2. What was the role of rattlesnakes in California, according to Chapter 11?
3. Who was William Keith? What was his relationship with John?
4. How did the artists react when John returned from his climb of Mount Ritter? Why?
5. What happened at the beginning of John's exploration of Tenaya Canyon? How did he react to it?
6. How did John feel about the view at Tenaya Canyon? How do you know?
7. Explain John's relationship with Louise Wanda Strentzel.
8. What happened to Reverend Young while he was with John climbing mountains?
9. How does the account of John's climb up Mount Shasta by Augustus Frederick Rodgers differ from John's account?
10. Where did John spend some time in the winter of 1872? How did he feel about this?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)