|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the bear react when John encountered it a second time?
(a) It ran away from him.
(b) It ignored him.
(c) It stood up, looked at him, and growled.
(d) It didn't seem to mind John.
2. In what season did John hike in Chapter 10?
3. What was John in charge of finishing on the new land?
(a) A well.
(b) A root cellar.
(c) A barn.
(d) A corral.
4. According to a proprietor, what type of boat could help John with his passage?
(a) A schooner.
(b) A Naval vessel.
(c) A freighter.
(d) A luxury liner.
5. Where did John's father take the family in Chapter 2?
6. What term did John use to refer to sheep in Chapter 7?
(a) Woolly rats.
(b) Natural diversions.
(c) Hoofed locusts.
(d) Meadow companions.
7. How long was John given to recover after he nearly drifted off to sleep working for his father?
(a) A week.
(b) A day.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) A few hours.
8. What did John travel to the top of a few days after his first encounter with the bear?
(a) East Dome.
(b) North Dome.
(c) South Dome.
(d) West Dome.
9. What was John's father's name?
(a) John, Sr.
10. What was different about the landmark John climbed in Chapter 10 in comparison to John's other mentioned landmarks?
(a) It was man made.
(b) It was unidentified.
(c) It had never been explored.
(d) It was a common retreat for John.
11. How far down into the ice cone could John see?
(a) About 40 feet.
(b) About 10 feet.
(c) About 140 feet.
(d) All the way to the bottom.
12. What kind of life did John say was unnatural?
(a) City life.
(c) Monastic life.
(d) Farm life.
13. Who was the boat's owner whom John talked to about his passage?
(a) Mr. Hodgson.
(b) Professor Butler.
(c) Reverend Young.
(d) Colonel Palmby.
14. In what season did John have unsteady work in the Yosemite Valley?
15. How did John react when he spent a summer in the city?
(a) He felt like he was wasting away.
(b) He felt at home.
(c) He was inspired to write poetry.
(d) He wanted to leave his parents to make a life for himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did John first use his talents with machines after earning his degree?
2. How old was John when his family relocated in Chapter 3?
3. Why did John's father move the family in Chapter 3?
4. What happened to John in Chapter 5 that was the worst he ever experienced?
5. What did John do when he encountered the bear a second time?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)