|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanies Joe to the park?
2. What does Spenser predict that Ronni will one day be involved in?
3. What does Spenser ask Joe to do?
4. What kind of weapon does Spenser take with him on his run?
5. What is the name of Spenser's friend who arrives as Quirk leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Spenser discuss with Paul in this section?
2. How does Spenser show his sensitivity when dealing with Cynthia?
3. Why does Spenser think Hawk is important to him in helping solve the case?
4. What does Spenser say he admires about Susan in this section?
5. How does Spenser defeat Broz' men in this section?
6. What insight does Susan make about the case?
7. What progress does Spenser make in the investigation at the beginning of Chapter 25?
8. In what way does this section show Spenser's psychological strength?
9. What does Spenser observe at Gerry's party?
10. Why does Susan think Meade Alexander is selfish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Replace the book's setting with one of the following settings.
2. New York.
3. Los Angeles.
What new meaning would the new setting give the book? How important is setting for developing meaning in a story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the book differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)