|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Spenser and Hawk meet Broz?
2. Where does Susan go shopping?
3. What does Spenser ask Joe to do?
4. What does Spenser say he admires about Susan as she shops?
5. What kind of weapon does Spenser take with him on his run?
Short Essay Questions
1. What insights does Spenser make about the case in Chapter 25?
2. How does Joe Broz react to the news about his son's activities in this section?
3. How does Spenser show his sensitivity when dealing with Cynthia?
4. Why does Spenser sympathize with the women he photographs in Gerry's bedroom?
5. Why does Broz say he attacked Spenser?
6. Why does Susan think Meade Alexander is selfish?
7. What does Spenser discuss with Paul in this section?
8. What do Spenser and Susan discuss at dinner?
9. What does Spenser say about his relationship with Susan at the end of the novel?
10. What does Spenser observe while spying on Gerry Broz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of Parker's previous book and contrast it with THE WIDENING GYRE in terms of the following;
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
1. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2. Discuss elements of the narrative structure - exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Spenser's character across the whole series.
1. How does the author develop Spenser's character across the whole series?
2. What new elements does THE WIDENING GYRE add to Spenser's character?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)