|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Broz go after he leaves his apartment?
2. What does Cynthia's husband buy from Gerry?
3. Who do Paul and Spenser talk about after Paige retires to bed?
4. What does Spenser accuse Linda of participating in?
5. What is the man replacing at Gerry's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does this section show Spenser's psychological strength?
2. What do Spenser and Susan discuss at dinner?
3. What do Spenser and Quirk talk about in Chapter 30?
4. Why does Susan think Meade Alexander is selfish?
5. Why do Hawk and Spenser think Broz won't take the situation any further?
6. What phone calls does Spenser make at the beginning of this section?
7. What does Spenser observe at Gerry's party?
8. What does Spenser say he admires about Susan in this section?
9. What agreement do the men come to at the meeting in Chapter 32?
10. What insight does Susan make about the case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Spenser's character across the whole series.
1. How does the author develop Spenser's character across the whole series?
2. What new elements does THE WIDENING GYRE add to Spenser's character?
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
The Spenser books greatly influenced crime fiction. Choose a book that you think was influenced by the book and discuss its similarities with the book in terms of the following;
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)