|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alexander say he will do rather than let his wife know she is being used in the blackmail deal?
2. What kind of politician does Spenser say Farrell is?
3. With what group is Browne linked?
4. With whom does Susan say she empathizes?
5. Who does Nolan say hired him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Spenser find out about Joe Broz in this section?
2. What does Spenser do when he returns home from his office?
3. How much insight does Paul provide about Spenser's character in this section?
4. Why does Spenser say it is necessary to act aggressively towards Alexander in regards to his wife?
5. How do Susan and Spenser complement each other?
6. What move does Spenser make when Morris leaves his office?
7. How does Wayne Cosgrove help Spenser?
8. What problems does Ronni prove she has in this section?
9. What does Alexander say he plans to do if he can't find a way out of the blackmail?
10. What does Spenser do before he meets Cosgrove?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Spenser books greatly influenced crime fiction. Choose a book that you think was influenced by the book and discuss its similarities with the book in terms of the following;
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the book differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of the 1980s.
1. In what ways are the characters a product of their time?
2. How does the book express the changes America was going through at the time?
3. Does modern society share any values with 1980s America?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)