|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening when the Baudelaires leave the restaurant?
2. Why does Klaus say rowing won't help?
3. Due to their swollen tongues, what is the only thing that Klaus and Sunny can say?
4. What does Violet take with her to the restaurant?
5. What happens when Klaus kicks at a leech that managed to get into the boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the invention that Violet makes in Chapter 11 and what it does.
2. What does Captain Sham say to the children when they get into his boat?
3. What does Klaus do in Chapter 8 when he enters the library room?
4. What does Josephine tell the children had happened to her when she decided to run away?
5. Describe the scene at the end of Chapter 12 where the Baudelaire children, Captain Sham, and Mr. Poe are having their argument.
6. Describe the Baudelaires' journey to the Fickle Ferry in Chapter 9.
7. How does the creature stop the Baudelaire children after it wakes up?
8. Describe how Aunt Josephine acts when the children first get her into the boat in Chapter 11?
9. Describe how the children sail the boat in Chapter 10.
10. What does Larry the waiter offer the children to eat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Why does Mr. Poe and Josephine refuse to listen to the children about Captain Sham?
2) What does this convey to the reader about the author's point of view?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the creature that was Count Olaf's accomplice.
1) Why did this creature never speak?
2) Why aren't the accomplices given names?
3) What does it say about Count Olaf that he has such loyal accomplices for his foul endeavors?
Essay Topic 3
There are many symbols used throughout the story. What symbols are readily identified and become significant as the story continues?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)