|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Poe say he will have at the restaurant?
2. What does Sunny do while her siblings are trying to convince Mr. Poe that Aunt Josephine may still be alive?
3. What does Violet say she is trying to create?
4. What does the narrator say Captain Sham resembled while they were at the restaurant?
5. Since its hands are full with Sunny and Violet what does the accomplice use to stop Klaus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Josephine tell the children had happened to her when she decided to run away?
2. Describe the scene in Chapter 11 when the Leeches arrive.
3. What does Larry the waiter offer the children to eat?
4. Describe the scene when the Baudelaire children first arrive back at Josephine's house in the beginning of Chapter 8.
5. Describe the scene in which the children look in the window of Captain Sham's sailboat rentals.
6. What does Josephine's library look like when Klaus enters in Chapter 8?
7. What does Violet do under the table while they are eating at the restaurant?
8. What happens to the Baudelaire children when the eat the peppermints?
9. Describe how Aunt Josephine acts when the children first get her into the boat in Chapter 11?
10. What happens in Chapter 8 just after the children have found the atlas to tell them where Aunt Josephine is hiding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) The children are supposed to be the good characters in the story but they often have actions that are not positive. They lie, such as when Violet is on the phone and says it is wrong number, and they steal such as when the children take the sail boat.
2) Does this change the way the reader views these main characters? Explain why or why not?
Does this influence your view on the level of appropriateness for younger audiences? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the characteristics of the three Baudelaire children.
1) What are the differences between them? What are the similarities?
2) Did the children forgive Josephine for her actions? What makes you think so?
3) Why did or didn't the children forgive her?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Josephine's personality.
1) Did she give any indication that she truly cared for the children? If so what?
2) Did she give the children over because of her fear or because she was selfish? explain.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)