|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would happen to Violet if she ate Mr. Poe's candy?
2. What is Josephine afraid will happen if the doorknobs are touched?
3. Where does Mr. Poe say they are meeting Captain Sham?
4. What does Josephine say that Violet is for answering the door?
5. What is Josephine's house attached to the hill by?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the way that Aunt Josephine shows the children around the house?
2. What disguise is Count Olaf wearing when the children meet him in the store in Chapter 3?
3. Describe the library as it is seen for the first time in Chapter 2.
4. What do the children find when they go into the library after finding the note in Chapter 4?
5. Why do the children think that Mr. Poe will not be any help to them in the beginning of Chapter 5 after Mr. Poe has been called about Aunt Josephine's death?
6. Describe the first meal that the Baudelaire children have in Chapter 2.
7. What is said in Chapter 6 when Klaus says the note has been forged?
8. How does Josephine describe what happened to Ike in Chapter 2?
9. Describe why Josephine refused to come get the children as it is described in Chapter 1.
10. Describe how the Baudelaire children keep things in perspective in Chapter 3.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) The children are supposed to be the good characters in the story but they often have actions that are not positive. They lie, such as when Violet is on the phone and says it is wrong number, and they steal such as when the children take the sail boat.
2) Does this change the way the reader views these main characters? Explain why or why not?
Does this influence your view on the level of appropriateness for younger audiences? Why?
Essay Topic 2
There are many symbols used throughout the story. What symbols are readily identified and become significant as the story continues?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Josephine's personality.
1) Did she give any indication that she truly cared for the children? If so what?
2) Did she give the children over because of her fear or because she was selfish? explain.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)