|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Josephine afraid the telephone holds a threat off?
2. What does the narrator say he once had cards made up to say?
3. How do the Baudelaire children and Aunt Josephine get to town in Chapter 3?
4. Why is Aunt Josephine scared to drive in cars?
5. What does Klaus say that he hopes Violet is clever enough to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is said between the children in the beginning of Chapter 5 when they have an argument?
2. What disguise is Count Olaf wearing when the children meet him in the store in Chapter 3?
3. How does Josephine describe what happened to Ike in Chapter 2?
4. What does the narrator explain in Chapter 1 about the children and the adventure that they are about to have?
5. What does the narrator explain at the end of Chapter 5 in relation to the children crying?
6. What does Aunt Josephine correct on Captain Sham's business card?
7. Why do the children think that Mr. Poe will not be any help to them in the beginning of Chapter 5 after Mr. Poe has been called about Aunt Josephine's death?
8. Describe the first meal that the Baudelaire children have in Chapter 2.
9. What do the children find when they go into the library after finding the note in Chapter 4?
10. Describe how the town looks as the children drive through it for the first time on their way to Josephine's house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many symbols used throughout the story. What symbols are readily identified and become significant as the story continues?
Essay Topic 2
The author gives the reader many instances of foreshadowing in the story.
1) Give examples of foreshadowing that happen in the book and what it accomplishes.
2) Why does the author choose to reveal these pieces of information?
3) What other way could the author have given the information?
Essay Topic 3
The children hope at the front of the book that they are going to live at a good home.
1) What is the purpose of the hope that the children have at this point in the story?
2)What has changed between this point and when the children are sitting at the dock leaving? Is there any indication that they are hoping once again at the end of the story? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)