|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Aunt Josephine afraid the sofa will do?
2. Why don't the Baudelaire children eat the candy given to them by Mr. Poe?
3. What does Klaus say about the letter Aunt Josephine wrote?
4. What does Josephine say that Violet is for answering the door?
5. What is Klaus' greatest joy in life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator explain at the end of Chapter 5 in relation to the children crying?
2. Why do the children think that Mr. Poe will not be any help to them in the beginning of Chapter 5 after Mr. Poe has been called about Aunt Josephine's death?
3. What do the children do after Aunt Josephine sends them to their room in Chapter 4?
4. What happens in Chapter 3 when the Baudelaire children are trying to explain to Aunt Josephine that Captain Sham is really Count Olaf?
5. Describe the first meal that the Baudelaire children have in Chapter 2.
6. What does Mr.Poe tell the children in Chapter 1 as he puts them in the taxi cab?
7. What disguise is Count Olaf wearing when the children meet him in the store in Chapter 3?
8. Describe the scene in Chapter 1 when Mr. Poe hands the children the bag of candies.
9. What do they find when they look at the shopping list of Aunt Josephine's next to the suicide note?
10. Describe what happens in Chapter six when Klaus looks at Aunt Josephine's suicide note again just before they leave to go meet Captain Sham.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) What plots or events are left unanswered in this story and left to the next books in the series?
2) How would it have changed the book if the events had come to a close at the end of this story?
Essay Topic 2
1) The children are supposed to be the good characters in the story but they often have actions that are not positive. They lie, such as when Violet is on the phone and says it is wrong number, and they steal such as when the children take the sail boat.
2) Does this change the way the reader views these main characters? Explain why or why not?
Does this influence your view on the level of appropriateness for younger audiences? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the love for Grammar that Josephine has.
1) Was there any indication early on in the story that her love for correcting grammar would be a down fall for Josephine?
2) Why is it significant that it is this love of correcting grammar that seems to get her killed?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)