|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say he once had cards made up to say?
2. What does Violet see that reminds her of Aunt Josephine and how Aunt Josephine had been afraid of it while they go to answer the door?
3. Why does Josephine not meet the children on the dock?
4. What word does Aunt Josephine define for the children thinking they don't know the meaning of it, while she is on the phone with Captain Sham?
5. How do the children get to Aunt Josephine's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the bedroom that Josephine gives the children to stay in.
2. What does Mr. Poe say about the children letting their imaginations run away with them?
3. Describe what Klaus says in the beginning of Chapter 5 about the note that Aunt Josephine wrote.
4. What is said in Chapter 6 when Klaus says the note has been forged?
5. What do they find when they look at the shopping list of Aunt Josephine's next to the suicide note?
6. Describe why Josephine refused to come get the children as it is described in Chapter 1.
7. What do the children find when they go into the library after finding the note in Chapter 4?
8. Describe the library as it is seen for the first time in Chapter 2.
9. Describe what happens in Chapter six when Klaus looks at Aunt Josephine's suicide note again just before they leave to go meet Captain Sham.
10. Describe the first meal that the Baudelaire children have in Chapter 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Count Olaf is very prideful. Discuss pride. In what other ways does pride show itself as a factor for events or characters in the story? Compare Olaf to another prideful character in a book that you have read.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Josephine's personality.
1) Did she give any indication that she truly cared for the children? If so what?
2) Did she give the children over because of her fear or because she was selfish? explain.
Essay Topic 3
Look at the motivators for Count Olaf.
1) Does his motivation seem to come more from a desire for money, power, or some other theme? Explain your answer and give examples.
2) How could these motivators be used as a good characteristic rather than a bad?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)