|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the children do when a car passed them as they made their way to the Fickle Ferry?
(a) Lay down in the ditches
(b) Run behind houses
(c) Hide in the bushes
(d) Stick out their thumbs
2. When does Mr. Poe say he doesn't drink?
(a) While he eats
(b) In front of children
(c) Banking hours
3. What does Violet do with their coats when they arrive back at Josephine's house?
(a) Blocks the front door with them
(b) Throws them in the closet
(c) Hangs them on the back of the chairs
(d) Drops them on the floor
4. What does Josephine say that Count Olaf told her he would do if she didn't give the children over to his care?
(a) Feed her to the leeches
(b) Force her to use the stove
(c) Drown her in the lake
(d) Make her disappear
5. Where does Captain Sham say that he and Josephine had met while he is telling Mr. Poe the story?
(a) Cooking school
(b) At the Lake
(c) While at a theater
(d) In the grocery store
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Count Olaf's accomplice step on that causes it to fall?
2. What does Klaus say the word Ike in Josephine's letter was supposed to be?
3. What does Klaus continue to do while they sail across the lake?
4. Why does Captain Sham no one will believe Josephine?
5. Who is waiting at the dock when the children arrive with Captain Sham?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene at the end of Chapter 12 where the Baudelaire children, Captain Sham, and Mr. Poe are having their argument.
2. What does Captain Sham tell Mr. Poe about him and Josephine in chapter seven while they are eating at the restauarant?
3. What does Klaus do in Chapter 8 when he enters the library room?
4. What do the children realize after the storm has passed and they are on the lake?
5. What does Larry the waiter offer the children to eat?
6. Describe the Baudelaires' journey to the Fickle Ferry in Chapter 9.
7. What is the realization that the children come to after talking with Aunt Josephine in the cave in Chapter 10?
8. In the end of Chapter 11 what does the author mean by the phrase 'mixed blessing'?
9. Describe how Aunt Josephine acts when the children first get her into the boat in Chapter 11?
10. Describe the scene in which the children look in the window of Captain Sham's sailboat rentals.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)