|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the creature on the docks doing as the Baudelaires sail away.
(a) Still trying to get up
(c) Going into the shack
(d) Shaking its fist in the air
2. What is happening when the Baudelaires leave the restaurant?
(a) The wind is gusting very hard
(b) There is a parade
(c) It has started raining
(d) The sky has grown dark
3. What does the narrator say the sound of the Leeches was like?
(a) A vibration
(b) A low hum
(c) Screetching metal
4. Where does Captain Sham say that he and Josephine had met while he is telling Mr. Poe the story?
(a) At the Lake
(b) While at a theater
(c) Cooking school
(d) In the grocery store
5. What does Josephine say that Count Olaf told her he would do if she didn't give the children over to his care?
(a) Feed her to the leeches
(b) Drown her in the lake
(c) Make her disappear
(d) Force her to use the stove
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Violet say she and Sunny didn't take a baking soda bath?
2. Why does Klaus say rowing won't help?
3. What does Sunny do while her siblings are trying to convince Mr. Poe that Aunt Josephine may still be alive?
4. What does Mr. Poe say he will have at the restaurant?
5. What does Klaus say the word Ike in Josephine's letter was supposed to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Violet do under the table while they are eating at the restaurant?
2. Describe the scene when the Baudelaire children first arrive back at Josephine's house in the beginning of Chapter 8.
3. What does the narrator explain when Violet says they are going to steal a sailboat?
4. Describe the invention that Violet makes in Chapter 11 and what it does.
5. What does Josephine tell the children had happened to her when she decided to run away?
6. Describe how Aunt Josephine acts when the children first get her into the boat in Chapter 11?
7. What does Josephine's library look like when Klaus enters in Chapter 8?
8. Describe the scene in which the children look in the window of Captain Sham's sailboat rentals.
9. Describe the scene at the end of Chapter 12 where the Baudelaire children, Captain Sham, and Mr. Poe are having their argument.
10. Describe how the children sail the boat in Chapter 10.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)