|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Poe say he hopes isn't getting the best of the children?
(a) Their imaginations
(b) Their love for Aunt Josephine
(c) Their communistic ways
(d) Their hopes and wishes
2. How do the children get to Aunt Josephine's house?
(b) Hitch hike
3. What does the narrator say he had to escape with the cards he had made up?
(a) A foreign country
(b) An enemy's castle
(c) From a bad marriage
(d) The clutches of Count Olaf
4. What does Klaus say they will do rather than live with Captain Sham?
(a) Join the circus
(b) Run away
(c) Go to the orphanage
(d) Go back to the bank
5. What does Josephine say that the tin cans in the room are for?
(a) To make music
(b) To put sea shells
(d) To keep your toys in
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet tell Klaus he is being while Klaus is going over the note Aunt Josephine left?
2. What does Aunt Josephine say the radiator might do?
3. Why is Aunt Josephine scared to drive in cars?
4. What does Aunt Josephine have covering the stove and oven in the kitchen for safety?
5. Who does Violet say the person on the phone was asking for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the gifts that Aunt Josephine gives the children in Chapter 2?
2. Describe what Klaus says in the beginning of Chapter 5 about the note that Aunt Josephine wrote.
3. Describe how the Baudelaire children keep things in perspective in Chapter 3.
4. How does Josephine describe what happened to Ike in Chapter 2?
5. What happens in Chapter 3 when the Baudelaire children are trying to explain to Aunt Josephine that Captain Sham is really Count Olaf?
6. What does Mr.Poe tell the children in Chapter 1 as he puts them in the taxi cab?
7. Describe the bedroom that Josephine gives the children to stay in.
8. In the beginning of Chapter 4 what is the conversation that takes place around the dinner table?
9. What do the children do after Aunt Josephine sends them to their room in Chapter 4?
10. Describe the scene in Chapter 1 when Mr. Poe hands the children the bag of candies.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)