|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Taxi drive say the children will have to wait for before making friends?
(a) The weekend
(b) Move to a new town
(c) Get new clothes
(d) Better weather
2. What is Violet sent off in search of?
3. Who does Violet say the person on the phone was asking for?
(a) Hopalong Dancing School
(b) Dr. Pain's Dentistry
(c) Whatsa-Matta-U University
(d) Seamore Butts
4. What does Aunt Josephine talk about the whole way home?
(a) Captain Sham
(c) The children's lack of manners
(d) Chilled cucumber soup
5. Why is Aunt Josephine scared to drive in cars?
(a) She had watched a movie where the car came to life
(b) The exhaust fumes were dangerous
(c) They could blow up
(d) Doors might get stuck
6. Why don't the Baudelaire children eat the candy given to them by Mr. Poe?
(a) They are too sad
(b) They are allergic
(c) They have low blood sugar
(d) It is wet and moldy
7. What does Aunt Josephine say that they should do for Captain Sham?
(a) Invite him to dinner
(b) Go wash his boats
(c) Take him to a town dance
(d) Introduce him around town
8. What does Violet see that reminds her of Aunt Josephine and how Aunt Josephine had been afraid of it while they go to answer the door?
(a) The radiator
(b) The doormat
(c) The bed covers
(d) The telephone
9. In the letter Aunt Josephine leaves who does she leave the children to?
(a) Mr. Poe
(b) Captain Sham
(c) Count Olaf
(d) The local orphanage
10. What happens during dinner?
(a) The phone rings
(b) Josephine chokes on her stew
(c) There is a nock on the door
(d) The storm starts
11. What present does Violet get from Aunt Josephine?
(b) An inventor's kit
(c) A sewing kit
(d) A dolly
12. What sound do the Baudelaire children hear while trying to think up a plan?
(a) The stove exploding
(b) Breaking glass
(c) Josephine scream
(d) The burglar alarm cans
13. What do the children learn has been forecast to hit the lake in a few days?
(a) Hail storm
(c) Flash flood
14. What does Klaus say he still has nightmares about?
(a) Count Olaf's stove
(b) The tattoo on Olaf's ankle
(c) The thought of being taken back to Olaf
(d) The play the children had to take part in with Olaf
15. How do the Baudelaire children and Aunt Josephine get to town in Chapter 3?
(c) Take a cab
(d) Ride bikes
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children have for dinner their first night in Josephine's house?
2. What does Klaus suggest they do in Chapter 4 but Violet disagrees with it due to past experience?
3. What do the children decide must be true about the letter in Chapter 5?
4. What does Count Olaf's smile turn into when Aunt Josephine turns her back?
5. What would happen to Klaus if he ate Mr. Poe's candy?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)