|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Mr. Ashok withdraw from the banks to hand over to the politicians in “The Sixth Night”?
2. The narrator says in “The Sixth Night,” "Iqbal, that great poet was so right. The moment you recognize what is beautiful in this world, you stop being" what?
3. What does Balram find in the backseat of the car in the end of “The Sixth Morning”?
4. What snack does Balram purchase for Mukesh Sir at the train station in "The Fifth Night"?
5. For whom does Mukesh Sir say the money in the red bag is for when he gives it to Mr. Ashok in “The Sixth Night”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the murder of Mr. Ashok represent thematically in The White Tiger?
2. What is significant about the author's imagery of the Rooster Coop in the novel?
3. What are examples of foreshadowing seen in "The Fifth Night"?
4. Whom does Balram discover waiting for him when he returns to the apartment in "The Sixth Night"? Why?
5. How is the theme of darkness and light illustrated in "The Seventh Night"?
6. What is noteworthy about Balram's reference to an accident in the opening of "The Sixth Morning"?
7. What plot developments take place in the first section of "The Sixth Morning"?
8. What does Balram remark about Dharam in "The Seventh Night"? What does this indicate?
9. How does Balram manage to collect enough money for a blonde prostitute in "The Sixth Night"?
10. How does Pinky Madam's departure influence the plot of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What circumstances and events lead Balram to leave the village where he was born and grew up? Where did he first go? With whom did he go? What work did he find there?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the departure of Pinky Madam and her eventual divorce from Mr. Ashok. What events lead up to Pinky's departure? What conflicts have arisen in their marriage that lead to divorce? Do you think the marriage could have been saved? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolic and metaphorical significance of the Black Fort in the story. What does this setting represent to Balram? What literary allusion is tied to this imagery?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)