|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What alias has Balram assumed in Bangalore in "The Seventh Night"?
2. How many taxi drivers does Balram say his company now has in "The Seventh Night"?
3. When does Vijay say that Mr. Ashok will be giving him money while Balram is driving the politicians in “The Sixth Night”?
4. What is the fourth way listed in Belram's sidebar for an enterprising driver to make extra money in “The Sixth Night”?
5. What is the name of the former lover that Mr. Ashok has brought home with him in “The Sixth Morning”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the letter symbolize that Balram writes home in the end of "The Sixth Night"?
2. What does Balram remark about Dharam in "The Seventh Night"? What does this indicate?
3. What does Balram remark about the potential for civil war in India in the conclusion of "The Sixth Morning"?
4. What does Balram learn about the woman that Mr. Ashok has brought home from the hotel in "The Sixth Morning"?
5. Why is the hit-and-run that Balram describes in "The Seventh Night" significant?
6. What does the murder of Mr. Ashok represent thematically in The White Tiger?
7. What is signficant about the events with the minister's assistant and Mr. Ashok in "The Sixth Morning"?
8. What is the significance of the color red in The White Tiger?
9. What plot developments take place in the first section of "The Sixth Morning"?
10. How does the murder of Mr. Ashock contribute to the narrative plot in The White Tiger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of politics in the novel. How are the politicians in the story depicted? What do you think the author is saying about politics in India through the novel? What relationship do the characters in the story have to politics?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of freedom versus servitude in the novel. How is this theme developed through symbolism and imagery? How is it developed through character? How does the author use setting to support this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolic and metaphorical significance of the Black Fort in the story. What does this setting represent to Balram? What literary allusion is tied to this imagery?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)