|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mall that Mr. Ashok has Belram drive him to in the beginning of “The Sixth Morning”?
2. What snack does Balram purchase for Mukesh Sir at the train station in "The Fifth Night"?
3. What is the first way listed for "the enterprising driver" to earn a little extra cash in Belram's sidebar in “The Sixth Night”?
4. Why does Balram say he "will never envy the rich of America or England" in "The Fifth Night"?
5. How much money is in the envelope that Pinky Madam gives to Balram at the airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Balram remark about the potential for civil war in India in the conclusion of "The Sixth Morning"?
2. What does the murder of Mr. Ashok represent thematically in The White Tiger?
3. How does Balram manage to collect enough money for a blonde prostitute in "The Sixth Night"?
4. Whom does Balram discover waiting for him when he returns to the apartment in "The Sixth Night"? Why?
5. What happens to the rupees that Mr. Ashok gives to Balram in "The Sixth Night"?
6. What is significant about the imagery of Gandhi in "The Seventh Night"?
7. What does Balram learn about the woman that Mr. Ashok has brought home from the hotel in "The Sixth Morning"?
8. What causes the conflict to erupt when Balram is with the prostitute in "The Sixth Night"?
9. What does Balram remark about Dharam in "The Seventh Night"? What does this indicate?
10. How is the theme of darkness and light illustrated in "The Seventh Night"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characters of the Stork and his two sons. How does Balram come to work for the Stork? What is the Stork's position within his community? How is Balram treated by these employers?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of the diseased driver. What condition does he suffer from? What does this character symbolize in the story? How does this character influence the protagonist?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the two sides of a servant's heart that Balram describes in the narrative. What actions of Balram's depict each of these values? How do Balram's views on this matter evolve in the course of the novel?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)