|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car does the diseased driver take Balram to the hotel for the prostitute in, in “The Sixth Night”?
2. The narrator says in “The Sixth Night,” "Iqbal, that great poet was so right. The moment you recognize what is beautiful in this world, you stop being" what?
3. Who is the schoolteacher that has written the letter that is delivered to Balram in "The Fifth Night"?
4. At what time does Pinky Madam have Balram drive her to the airport in "The Fifth Night"?
5. What kind of car dealership does Balram go to when he begins his entrepreneurship in "The Seventh Night"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the murder of Mr. Ashok represent thematically in The White Tiger?
2. What is the significance of the color red in The White Tiger?
3. How does Balram's encounter in the bookstore influence his actions in "The Sixth Night"?
4. What plot developments take place in the first section of "The Sixth Morning"?
5. What decision has Balram made at the train station in the end of "The Sixth Night"?
6. How is the theme of darkness and light illustrated in "The Seventh Night"?
7. What symbolism can be seen in the train station in the end of "The Sixth Night"?
8. How does the murder of Mr. Ashock contribute to the narrative plot in The White Tiger?
9. Whom does Balram discover waiting for him when he returns to the apartment in "The Sixth Night"? Why?
10. What does the letter symbolize that Balram writes home in the end of "The Sixth Night"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the framing device and the narrative style of The White Tiger. Why do you think the author has framed the story in this way? How does this framing device influence the author's use of foreshadowing, flashback, and flash-forward in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of identity in the novel. How is this theme developed through character? What is significant about the different names that Balram has in his life and how to they relate to this theme? What is Balram's identity at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the departure of Pinky Madam and her eventual divorce from Mr. Ashok. What events lead up to Pinky's departure? What conflicts have arisen in their marriage that lead to divorce? Do you think the marriage could have been saved? Why or why not?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)