|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What product does the diseased driver's employer sell, according to Balram in “The Fourth Night”?
2. On what floor do Mr. Ashok and Pinky Madam live in Delhi?
3. Who is the mother-goddess whose image is described on the dashboard of the car in “The Fourth Night”?
4. Who is the primary driver when Balram begins working for the Stork's family?
5. What color headbands are the protesters in the second truck wearing in "The Second Night"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mukesh Sir present to Balram when he arrives at the home of Mr. Ashok in "The Fourth Night"?
2. What occurs as Pinky Madam drives the car home on her birthday in "The Fourth Night"?
3. What does Balram remark about his chandeliers in "The Fourth Night"? Why is this significant?
4. Where is Bangalore located? What is the significance of this setting in The White Tiger?
5. What is the significance of the last line in Balram's letter in "The First Night"?
6. What is significant about the reference to the Gandhi statue in "The Fourth Night"?
7. What does Balram realize during his visit to his family in Laxmangarh in "The Second Night"?
8. How does Balram describe his feelings about leaving his home village after the death of his father in "The Second Night"?
9. What is significant about Balram's poetic allusions in "The Second Night"?
10. How do the events of Pinky Madam's birthday begin in "The Fourth Night"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What circumstances and events lead Balram to leave the village where he was born and grew up? Where did he first go? With whom did he go? What work did he find there?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss some of the historical, religious, and literary allusions from the novel. Who are the poets that Balram describes as India's finest? Why? What works of theirs does he cite? How do these allusions relate thematically to The White Tiger?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolic and metaphorical significance of the Black Fort in the story. What does this setting represent to Balram? What literary allusion is tied to this imagery?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)