|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much do the "Murder Weekly" magazines sell for?
2. What color is the heavy bag that Balram describes bringing from Delhi to Bangalore in "The First Night"?
3. Balram writes in “The Fourth Morning,” that if he were making a country he would obtain what first?
4. What color headbands are the protesters in the second truck wearing in "The Second Night"?
5. Whom does Balram describe having thrown the rich out of his country and freed his people in “The Fourth Morning”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflict occurs between Mr. Ashok and Pinky Madam on their return journey Dhanbad in "The Second Night"?
2. How would you describe Balram's impressions of politics in India in "The Fourth Morning"?
3. What is the significance of the last line in Balram's letter in "The First Night"?
4. What incident does Balram describe occurring when a man in his village attempted to vote against corruption in "The Fourth Morning"?
5. What does Balram remark about his chandeliers in "The Fourth Night"? Why is this significant?
6. What internal conflicts does Balram face in the end of "The Fourth Night"?
7. What does Mukesh Sir present to Balram when he arrives at the home of Mr. Ashok in "The Fourth Night"?
8. Who are the Four Landlords? What conflict does Balram describe involving these characters in "The Fourth Morning"?
9. What motifs are introduced by the author in "The First Night"?
10. What is significant about the references to "Murder Weekly" in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the caste system in India and discuss how this system influences the characters and actions in The White Tiger. How is caste associated with identity and wealth or poverty? How can one move from caste to caste?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss some of the historical, religious, and literary allusions from the novel. Who are the poets that Balram describes as India's finest? Why? What works of theirs does he cite? How do these allusions relate thematically to The White Tiger?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the departure of Pinky Madam and her eventual divorce from Mr. Ashok. What events lead up to Pinky's departure? What conflicts have arisen in their marriage that lead to divorce? Do you think the marriage could have been saved? Why or why not?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)