|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the heavy bag that Balram describes bringing from Delhi to Bangalore in "The First Night"?
2. What animals surround Balram as he climbs to the Black Fort in "The Second Night"?
3. How much do the "Murder Weekly" magazines sell for?
4. What is stated in the statement that Balram is ordered to sign in “The Fourth Night”?
5. What is the name of the town where Balram grew up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What essential exposition is introduced by the author in "The First Night"?
2. What is the significance of the move from Dhanbad to New Delhi for Balram in "The Fourth Morning"?
3. What is significant about Balram's poetic allusions in "The Second Night"?
4. What traits or attributes of Balram's character are revealed in "The Second Night"?
5. What does Balram remark about his chandeliers in "The Fourth Night"? Why is this significant?
6. What internal conflicts does Balram face in the end of "The Fourth Night"?
7. What is significant about the references to "Murder Weekly" in the novel?
8. How would you describe Balram's impressions of politics in India in "The Fourth Morning"?
9. What is significant about the reference to the Gandhi statue in "The Fourth Night"?
10. What does Balram realize during his visit to his family in Laxmangarh in "The Second Night"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of politics in the novel. How are the politicians in the story depicted? What do you think the author is saying about politics in India through the novel? What relationship do the characters in the story have to politics?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the two sides of a servant's heart that Balram describes in the narrative. What actions of Balram's depict each of these values? How do Balram's views on this matter evolve in the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss some of the historical, religious, and literary allusions from the novel. Who are the poets that Balram describes as India's finest? Why? What works of theirs does he cite? How do these allusions relate thematically to The White Tiger?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)