|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Balram say the Great Socialist has embezzled from the Darkness in “The Fourth Morning”?
2. At what time does Balram sign off in his letter "The Second Night"?
3. How much do the "Murder Weekly" magazines sell for?
4. What is the name of the political party the four landlords have formed in “The Fourth Morning”?
5. Who has witnessed Balram's statement that he is ordered to sign in “The Fourth Night”?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Balram refer to as "the diseased driver" in the narrative? Where does he meet this character?
2. What traits or attributes of Balram's character are revealed in "The Second Night"?
3. How does Balram describe his feelings for Mr. Ashok in the opening of his letter in "The Second Night"?
4. What conflict occurs between Mr. Ashok and Pinky Madam on their return journey Dhanbad in "The Second Night"?
5. How does Balram describe his feelings about leaving his home village after the death of his father in "The Second Night"?
6. What occurs as Pinky Madam drives the car home on her birthday in "The Fourth Night"?
7. What is significant about the references to "Murder Weekly" in the novel?
8. What incident does Balram describe occurring when a man in his village attempted to vote against corruption in "The Fourth Morning"?
9. How do the events of Pinky Madam's birthday begin in "The Fourth Night"?
10. What is the significance of the move from Dhanbad to New Delhi for Balram in "The Fourth Morning"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What circumstances and events lead Balram to leave the village where he was born and grew up? Where did he first go? With whom did he go? What work did he find there?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the different settings that are explored in the novel. How would you compare the village where Balram grew up to the cities where he later lives? How does the author juxtapose the dwellings of the rich from the poor in these settings?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of freedom versus servitude in the novel. How is this theme developed through symbolism and imagery? How is it developed through character? How does the author use setting to support this theme?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)