|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Stork's elder son?
2. Where is Balram's office described in the opening of the letter in "The First Night"?
3. What is the name of Cousin Pappu's wife?
4. What color is the heavy bag that Balram describes bringing from Delhi to Bangalore in "The First Night"?
5. Balram claims in "The First Night" that "Only three nations have never let themselves be ruled by foreigners." What are these nations?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe Balram's impressions of politics in India in "The Fourth Morning"?
2. What does Mukesh Sir present to Balram when he arrives at the home of Mr. Ashok in "The Fourth Night"?
3. What is the significance of Balram's encounter with the beggars on the side of the road in "The Fourth Night"?
4. What does Balram remark about his chandeliers in "The Fourth Night"? Why is this significant?
5. Who does Balram refer to as "the diseased driver" in the narrative? Where does he meet this character?
6. What is significant about the references to "Murder Weekly" in the novel?
7. What internal conflicts does Balram face in the end of "The Fourth Night"?
8. What is the significance of the last line in Balram's letter in "The First Night"?
9. Who is Ram Persad and what relationship does Balram form when him when they first meet?
10. How does Balram describe his feelings for Mr. Ashok in the opening of his letter in "The Second Night"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the two sides of a servant's heart that Balram describes in the narrative. What actions of Balram's depict each of these values? How do Balram's views on this matter evolve in the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of freedom versus servitude in the novel. How is this theme developed through symbolism and imagery? How is it developed through character? How does the author use setting to support this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the departure of Pinky Madam and her eventual divorce from Mr. Ashok. What events lead up to Pinky's departure? What conflicts have arisen in their marriage that lead to divorce? Do you think the marriage could have been saved? Why or why not?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)