|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Balram's father's profession?
(a) He was a train engineer.
(b) He was a coal miner.
(c) He was a rice farmer.
(d) He was a rickshaw puller.
2. What does Balram describe as his web site URL in "The Second Night"?
3. What disease does Balram's father die from?
(d) Prostate cancer.
4. Where is the Premier's Office described in the opening of the letter in "The First Night"?
(c) New Delhi.
5. What does Balram describe as "the three main diseases of this country" in “The Fourth Morning”?
(a) Poverty, corruption, and politics.
(b) Television, cancer, and tuberculosis.
(c) Typhoid, cholera, and election fever.
(d) Tuberculosis, maleria, and hunger.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is driving the car when the child is run over in “The Fourth Night”?
2. What is the name of the Stork's elder son?
3. Who are the three "greatest poets" described by Balram in "The First Night"?
4. Who is the former bus conductor that has joined the political arena in “The Fourth Morning”?
5. What brand of whiskey do Balram and Ram Persad purchase for the Stork's family weekly?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author develop the theme/motif of darkness and light in "The Fourth Morning"?
2. How does Balram describe his feelings for Mr. Ashok in the opening of his letter in "The Second Night"?
3. Who does Balram refer to as "the diseased driver" in the narrative? Where does he meet this character?
4. What is the significance of the last line in Balram's letter in "The First Night"?
5. How do the events of Pinky Madam's birthday begin in "The Fourth Night"?
6. What motifs are introduced by the author in "The First Night"?
7. What is the significance of the move from Dhanbad to New Delhi for Balram in "The Fourth Morning"?
8. What is the significance of the t-shirt that Balram purchases in "The Fourth Night"?
9. What does Balram remark about his chandeliers in "The Fourth Night"? Why is this significant?
10. How does Balram describe the history and evolution of caste system in India in "The Second Night"?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)