|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the mother-goddess whose image is described on the dashboard of the car in “The Fourth Night”?
2. When did the British leave India?
3. What color is the bloody cloth found on the car after the child has been run over in “The Fourth Night”?
4. What temple does Balram describe in New Delhi in "The Second Night"?
(a) The Sai Baba Temple.
(b) The Hanuman Temple.
(c) The Birla Hundu Temple.
(d) The Lakshmi Narayan Temple.
5. What does the goddess Lakshmi represent to Hindus?
(a) The goddess of wealth.
(b) The goddess of love.
(c) The goddess of fertility.
(d) The goddess of purity.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the Great Socialist's ministers are currently in jail, according to Balram in “The Fourth Morning”?
2. What is the name of Balram's older brother?
3. What was Balram's father's profession?
4. Who are the master and mistress of the servant-god Hanuman?
5. To what hospital did Balram and his brother take their father as he was dying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Balram's encounter with the beggars on the side of the road in "The Fourth Night"?
2. What is the significance of the move from Dhanbad to New Delhi for Balram in "The Fourth Morning"?
3. What does Balram realize during his visit to his family in Laxmangarh in "The Second Night"?
4. What internal conflicts does Balram face in the end of "The Fourth Night"?
5. What conflict occurs between Mr. Ashok and Pinky Madam on their return journey Dhanbad in "The Second Night"?
6. What is the significance of the last line in Balram's letter in "The First Night"?
7. What is significant about the references to "Murder Weekly" in the novel?
8. How does Balram describe his feelings about leaving his home village after the death of his father in "The Second Night"?
9. How does the author develop the theme/motif of darkness and light in "The Fourth Morning"?
10. What foreshadowing can be seen in the narrator's descriptions of English liquor in "The Second Night"?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)