|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Balram drives Pinky Madam and Mr. Ashok home in "The Second Night," Ashok claims that when he returned to India, he expected to stay for how long?
(a) 1 week.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 2 months.
(d) 6 months.
2. Whom does Balram describe having thrown the rich out of his country and freed his people in “The Fourth Morning”?
(b) Tang Shaoyi.
(c) Zhao Bingjun.
(d) Fidel Castro.
3. Balram writes in “The Fourth Morning,” that if he were making a country he would obtain what first?
(b) Proper roads.
(c) A solid government.
(d) Sewage pipes.
4. What does Balram describe as his web site URL in "The Second Night"?
5. How many ring roads does Balram describe in Beijing in “The Fourth Night”?
6. What was Balram's father's profession?
(a) He was a train engineer.
(b) He was a coal miner.
(c) He was a rickshaw puller.
(d) He was a rice farmer.
7. What secret does Balram discover about Ram Persad in “The Fourth Morning”?
(a) He is an atheist.
(b) He is Christian.
(c) He is Muslim.
(d) He is Hindu.
8. Where does Balram describe going for his master when he is given the statement to sign in “The Fourth Night”?
(d) Tihar Jail.
9. What does Balram describe serving to Ashok and Pinky Madam for dinner on her birthday?
(c) Hot dogs.
10. Where is Balram's office described in the opening of the letter in "The First Night"?
(b) New Delhi.
11. Balram claims in "The First Night" that "Only three nations have never let themselves be ruled by foreigners." What are these nations?
(a) England, the U.S., and China.
(b) India, China, and Afghanistan.
(c) Liberia, Indonesia, and Abyssinia.
(d) China, Afghanistan, and Abyssinia.
12. What color is the heavy bag that Balram describes bringing from Delhi to Bangalore in "The First Night"?
13. What temple does Balram describe in New Delhi in "The Second Night"?
(a) The Hanuman Temple.
(b) The Sai Baba Temple.
(c) The Birla Hundu Temple.
(d) The Lakshmi Narayan Temple.
14. Who wrote the poem about God and the Devil that Balram describes in "The Second Night"?
(a) Tang Shaoyi.
(c) Ram Persad.
15. What is the Great Socialist's party's symbol?
(a) An eye with a tear coming from the corner.
(b) A circle with a line through it.
(c) A cross being held by a raised fist.
(d) A pair of hands breaking through handcuffs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the town where Balram grew up?
2. To what hospital did Balram and his brother take their father as he was dying?
3. What is stated in the statement that Balram is ordered to sign in “The Fourth Night”?
4. Who has witnessed Balram's statement that he is ordered to sign in “The Fourth Night”?
5. What is the name of the Premier to whom the letter is addressed in "The First Night"?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)