|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many parties attempted to climb the North Face in 1954 and 1955?
2. How many women were in the team who attempted to climb the North Face in July, 1962?
3. How did von Almen watch Mayr's ascent?
(a) From the railway window.
(b) From an airplane.
(c) From the foot of the North Face with binoculars.
(d) Through a telescope.
4. What did Corti say happened to Günther Nothdurft and Franz Mayer as they started out to climb the North Face?
(a) They had an argument and could not get along.
(b) Mayer began to get ill.
(c) Mayer twisted his ankle.
(d) They lost their equipment.
5. How long was Paul Etter and Martin Epp's ascent up the North Face?
(a) Five days.
(b) Three days.
(c) 13 hours.
(d) A day and a half.
Short Answer Questions
1. Was the filmed climb of Lothar Brandler, Jörg Lehne, and Sigfried Löw up the North Face successful?
2. Why did Karl Blach take Huber's place?
3. What profession were Adolf Derungs and Lukas Albrecht, who made the 16th successful ascent up the North Face?
4. What happened to Lugmayer during the climb?
5. How many climbers were killed on the North Face in 1962?
Short Essay Questions
1. What contradictions are there in Corti's accounts of Nothdurft during the climb?
2. What made the Difficult Crack and the Hinterstoisser Traverse easier to climb for Mayr than for early climbers?
3. Describe the attempt to climb the North Face by Brian Nally and Barry Brewster in 1962.
4. How were Albert Rabada and Ernesto Navarra's bodies recovered?
5. What is Harrer's opinion about Corti's story that the two other climbers went on to send back help, leaving Corti behind after he was injured?
6. Why does Harrer include a route guide at the end of the book?
7. What was the weather like during Erich Vanis, Hans Ratay, and Karl Lugmayer's first night on the mountain in 1952?
8. Describe Erich Friedli, Jr. and Arnold Heinen's climb in 1963.
9. Why were Kurt Diemberger and Wolfgang Stephan criticized, and how does Harrer answer that criticism?
10. What happened to Erich Vanis, Hans Ratay, and Karl Lugmayer on the Ice Bulge?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)