|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where were Nothdurft and Mayer's bodies finally found?
(a) Lower down the east face of the mountain.
(b) At the top of the mountain near the west face.
(c) Near the Ramp.
(d) At the top of the Spider.
2. How far behind Radovan KuchaÅ™ and Zdeno Zibrin were the Polish team who reached the summit the same day?
(a) 2 hours.
(b) 10 hours.
(c) 6 hours.
(d) 14 hours.
3. Where was solo climber Diether Marchart on the mountain's face when he fell and died?
(a) On the Spider.
(b) Between the First Ice Field and the Second Ice Field.
(c) On the Third Ice Field.
(d) On the Hinterstoisser Traverse.
4. Was Nothdurft's diary found?
(a) No, no trace of it was found.
(b) No, only a few unhelpful pages.
(c) Yes, but the entries were eroded.
(d) Yes, but it contained no entries.
5. What did Derungs and Albrecht use instead of a bivouac bag on their ascent up the North Face?
(b) A wool blanket.
(c) A tablecloth.
(d) An overcoat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doubts were raised about Toni Hiebeler, Toni Kinschofer, Anderl Mannhardt, and Walter Almberger's climb of the North Face in 1961?
2. To what does Harrer attribute the fact that Longhi was unable to climb up the rope after he fell?
3. According to Fritz von Almen's warning to Mayr, when would crossing the Third Ice Field be dangerous?
4. How long was Paul Etter and Martin Epp's ascent up the North Face?
5. How many climbers were killed on the North Face in 1962?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Derungs and Albrecht threw their extra equipment over the edge of the mountain after their last bivouac?
2. What were Nothdurft and Mayers' families reactions to the tragedy?
3. What is the controversy about the photograph of the German climbers on the mountain?
4. After bivouacking above the Spider, how did Helmuth Drachsler and Walter Gstrein reach the summit?
5. Describe the ascent of Blach and Wallenkamp up the North Face in 1952.
6. Describe the attempt to climb the North Face by Brian Nally and Barry Brewster in 1962.
7. What does Harrer say about Corti's knowledge of the North Face of the Eiger?
8. Describe Erich Friedli, Jr. and Arnold Heinen's climb in 1963.
9. Why does Harrer include a route guide at the end of the book?
10. What is Harrer's attitude toward Italians?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)