|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Fritz von Almen's warning to Mayr, when would crossing the Third Ice Field be dangerous?
(a) When it was cloudy.
(b) During the early morning.
(c) During the afternoon.
(d) When the sun was setting.
2. Was the filmed climb of Lothar Brandler, Jörg Lehne, and Sigfried Löw up the North Face successful?
(a) Yes, but the film was unusable.
(b) No, but the film made it seem successful.
(c) No, the weather conditions were too harsh.
(d) Yes, for two of the climbers.
3. What happened to the party of three climbers in 1958 who climbed to the Flatiron before one was injured by a stone?
(a) They descended the mountain, but one died in a fall.
(b) They climbed down to the Gallery Window the next day.
(c) They were stranded on the mountain and died.
(d) They were taken off the mountain by rescuers.
4. How did Mayr climb from the First Ice Field to the Second Ice Field?
(a) By cutting ice steps up a slope.
(b) In a longer, less steep crevice pathway.
(c) Through a traverse.
(d) Straight up a rock.
5. What area of the mountain is the Silver Trench on?
(a) The Second Ice Field.
(b) The Spider.
(c) The Ramp.
(d) The Third Ice Field.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many climbers were on the North Face between August 19 and August 23 of 1962?
2. How did Radovan KuchaÅ™ and Zdeno Zibrin climb up to the Exit Cracks?
3. What day did Sefano Longhi and Claudio Corti begin to climb the North Face?
4. How did von Almen watch Mayr's ascent?
5. What does Harrer recommend to climbers for protection from rocks?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Mayr's climb seem to slow?
2. What is the controversy about the photograph of the German climbers on the mountain?
3. After bivouacking above the Spider, how did Helmuth Drachsler and Walter Gstrein reach the summit?
4. What does Harrer say about Corti's knowledge of the North Face of the Eiger?
5. What information does Harrer offer in the later appended chapters about his treatment of Corti's story and the facts about Nothdurft's death?
6. At the end of the chapter "The International Rescue Team," what does Harrer suggest might happen in the future regarding Nothdurft and Mayer?
7. Why were Kurt Diemberger and Wolfgang Stephan criticized, and how does Harrer answer that criticism?
8. Describe the climb of the first women to attempt the North Face.
9. What made the Difficult Crack and the Hinterstoisser Traverse easier to climb for Mayr than for early climbers?
10. What happened when Derungs and Albrecht threw their extra equipment over the edge of the mountain after their last bivouac?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)