|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new technology did climbers on the ground think might be used to attempt to rescue Longhi?
(a) New types of pitons.
(b) New rope ladders.
(c) New rope swings.
(d) New steel cables.
2. What does Harrer recommend to climbers for protection from rocks?
(a) Plastic crash helmets.
(b) Quick wits.
(c) Protective climbing suits.
(d) Sheets of protective metal.
3. What put the claims of two Swiss climbers who said they climbed the North Face in one day in doubt?
(a) Testimony of the Swiss climbers' families.
(c) Testimony of witnesses from the ground.
(d) Testimony of other climbers.
4. What site was Alfred Hellepart lowered down to for the rescue attempt?
(a) Corti's bivouac tent.
(b) The Third Ice Field.
(c) The Ice Fluh.
(d) The precipice where Longhi was trapped.
5. Who made the last successful ascent of the North Face in 1961
(a) Georg Huber and Helmut Wagner.
(b) Erich Streng and Robert Troier.
(c) Hilti von Allmen and Ueli Hürlimann.
(d) Gerhard Mayer and Karl Frehsner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the party of three climbers in 1958 who climbed to the Flatiron before one was injured by a stone?
2. What does Harrer suggest happened on the climb?
3. How many climbers were on the North Face between August 19 and August 23 of 1962?
4. What did the friend Nothdurft and Mayer visited before leaving think of Nothdurft's behavior on the mountain?
5. What day did Sefano Longhi and Claudio Corti begin to climb the North Face?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harrer include a route guide at the end of the book?
2. What is Harrer's attitude toward Italians?
3. What is the controversy about the photograph of the German climbers on the mountain?
4. What contradictions are there in Corti's accounts of Nothdurft during the climb?
5. After bivouacking above the Spider, how did Helmuth Drachsler and Walter Gstrein reach the summit?
6. At the end of the chapter "The International Rescue Team," what does Harrer suggest might happen in the future regarding Nothdurft and Mayer?
7. Describe the attempt to climb the North Face by Brian Nally and Barry Brewster in 1962.
8. What happened when Derungs and Albrecht threw their extra equipment over the edge of the mountain after their last bivouac?
9. Describe the ascent of Blach and Wallenkamp up the North Face in 1952.
10. Why does Harrer call the climb by Radovan KuchaÅ™ and Zdeno Zibrin cautious?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)