|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Rebitsch and Vörg climb to, after spending the night on the mountain?
(a) The Mittellegi Hut.
(b) The railroad tunnel.
(c) The Death Bivouac.
(d) The Hintertoisser Traverse.
2. What year did Harrer escape from the prison camp?
3. How did newspapers react to plans to climb the North Face in 1937?
(a) With enthusiastic sensationalism of the heroism of the climbers.
(b) With condemnation against the suicidal dangers.
(c) With both outcry against the danger and sensationalism.
(d) With indifference and certainty that attempts would fail.
4. In what month did Toni Kurz and his party begin their climb up the North Face?
5. What nationality was the second team to successfully climb the North Face?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Harrer escape to?
2. What did the first description of the North Face from above say about it?
3. How many parties left the Eiger without an attempt to climb the North Face in 1937, due to bad weather?
4. Why did Austrians Waschak and Forstenlechner delay their start, while a party of four Swiss climbers began an ascent up the North Face in 1950?
5. How far did the first party to attempt to climb the North Face go on their second day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Rebitsch and Vörg do, after a harrowing climb on the mountain, when they learned that Gollackner had died on the mountain?
2. What are the hazards on the North Face when the ice is melted?
3. Describe the reaction to Harrer telling a doctor in Lhasa that he was among the first party to climb the North Face.
4. After Buhl, Jöchler, the Maags, and the French traveled up the Spider, in what arrangement did they bivouac?
5. What did the climbers do on their last night on the mountain before reaching the summit?
6. How did the author characterize past writing about the Eiger?
7. What blocked the descent from Buhl and Jöchler's bivouac spot below the Rote Fluh?
8. What knowledge did Sedlmayer and Mehringer have and lack when they attempted to climb the North Face?
9. What were Otto and Sepp Maag doing when they first encountered Buhl and Jöchler in July 1952?
10. When Allmen checked on the mountaineers he knew were climbing toward him, what did he find?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)