|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Toni Kurz die?
(a) On he way down the mountain, being carried by rescuers.
(b) On the mountain, before rescuers could arrive.
(c) At the bottom of the mountain, after being brought down by rescuers.
(d) On the mountain, feet away from rescuers.
2. Why did Rebitsch and Vörg start up the northeast face of the mountain?
(a) To try out a new route.
(b) To look more closely at the North Face.
(c) To search for the missing climbers.
(d) To beat other parties up the mountain.
3. How does Maix react to Harrer's proposed book about the Eiger?
(a) With concern and caution.
(d) With encouragement, but also frustration.
4. What year was the third successful climb up the North Face?
5. How did Heckmair survive the avalanche at the Spider?
(a) He was partially sheltered by an overhang.
(b) He held on to Kasparek.
(c) He was held by his piton.
(d) He held himself with an axe.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story the author tells at the beginning of the book, how does the climber criticize Harrer's idea to write about the Eiger?
2. Where did Rebitch and Vörg end the fourth day of their climb?
3. Where did Allmen call to Toni Kurz and his party from?
4. When did Pierre Julien and Maurice Coutin climb the North Face?
5. How many climbers were in the first ascent to the top of the North Face?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the author mean by "Come back safe, my friends"?
2. What unusual attempt to climb the North Face did Fuchs and Monney consider but then reject?
3. How did the author characterize past writing about the Eiger?
4. What seemed unexplainable about Primas and Gollackner's actions on their climb?
5. What research did Harrer do for his book?
6. Describe Maix and Harrer's collaboration.
7. What are the hazards on the North Face when the ice is melted?
8. What metaphor did the author use to describe the societal function of mountain climbing?
9. What is the author's position on the psychology of seeking danger?
10. Where did rescuers start from to try to rescue Toni Kurz?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)