|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Karl Blach take Huber's place?
(a) Huber twisted his ankle.
(b) Huber was injured in an avalanche.
(c) Huber was injured by a rock.
(d) Huber was feeling ill.
2. What relative of Nothdurft arrived in Grindelwald to await the rescue efforts?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) His sister.
(d) His brother.
3. Where did Guido Tonella interview Corti?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) At the base of the North Face.
(c) In the hospital.
(d) On the mountain.
4. How far did Karl Blach initially say he would guide Jürgen Wallenkamp and Bernd Huber on their climb up the North Face?
(a) To the Third Ice Field.
(b) To the Swallow's Nest.
(c) To the Ramp.
(d) To the Difficult Crack.
5. How far did Italian climber Walter Bonatti get in his solo attempt to climb the North Face in 1963?
(a) The First Ice Field.
(b) The Spider.
(c) The Second Ice Field.
(d) The Third Ice Field.
6. When was the fifteenth ascent of the North Face of the Eiger made by two Austrian students?
(a) September 1958.
(b) August 1958.
(c) July 1958.
(d) June 1958.
7. What makes the Silver Trench silver?
(a) Light gleaming off the ice.
(b) Glassy gray rocks rising up through the snow.
(c) Glittering light on a rushing stream.
(d) A vein of silver in the mountain.
8. What antagonistic action did observers note the climbers doing?
(a) The party in the lead would take out their pitons instead of leaving them for followers.
(b) The party in the lead would destroy the steps they made in the ice.
(c) The party in the lead would knock ice down the mountain.
(d) The parties would push past each other in the climb instead of joining.
9. Who did Nothdurft and Mayer visit before their climb, after they left the inn?
(a) Kurt Diemberger.
(b) Heinrich Harrer.
(c) Max Eiselin.
(d) Wolfgang Stefan.
10. Where did Boulaz, Attinger, Vaucher, and Darbellay bivouac on their second night?
(a) Near the Ice Hose.
(b) At the Mittellegi Hut.
(c) Near the Ramp.
(d) At the Swallow's Nest.
11. How did Reiss describe the thunderstorm that was going on when he reached the summit?
(a) As a welcome respite.
(b) As good conditions.
(c) As a tribulation.
(d) As the last straw.
12. Where did Erich Vanis, Hans Ratay, and Karl Lugmayer bivouac their first night on the mountain in 1952?
(a) At the Mittellegi Hut.
(b) At the Swallow's Nest.
(c) Above the Second Ice Field.
(d) At the Ramp.
13. Who made the first successful solo attempt to climb the North Face?
(a) Arnold Heinen.
(b) Erich Friedli, Jr.
(c) Paul Etter.
(d) Michel Darbellay.
14. How many bivouacs did Spanish climbers Albert Rabada and Ernesto Navarra make before reaching the Spider?
15. How many climbers were killed on the North Face in 1962?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do observers say that Corti and Longhi joined together with Nothdurft and Mayer?
2. In 1957, what traces of Nothdurft and Mayer did search parties find?
3. What profession were Adolf Derungs and Lukas Albrecht, who made the 16th successful ascent up the North Face?
4. How many women were in the team who attempted to climb the North Face in July, 1962?
5. Where was solo climber Diether Marchart on the mountain's face when he fell and died?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)