|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What cliff on the North Face did Karl Reiss attempt to climb?
(a) A cliff from the First Ice Field to the Second Ice Field.
(b) A cliff from the Third Ice Field to the Spider.
(c) A cliff from the Second Ice Field to the Third Ice Field.
(d) A cliff from the Spider to the summit.
2. What day did the innkeeper in Grindelwald say that Nothdurft and Mayer left for the climb?
3. What happened to Söhnel and Moosmüller on their attempt to climb the North Face in 1956?
(a) They were injured by falling rocks.
(b) They were knocked off the mountain.
(c) They became ill and had to descend.
(d) They were trapped in an avalanche.
4. What did Derungs and Albrecht use instead of a bivouac bag on their ascent up the North Face?
(a) An overcoat.
(c) A wool blanket.
(d) A tablecloth.
5. What nationality were Erich Vanis, Hans Ratay, and Karl Lugmayer?
6. What makes the Silver Trench silver?
(a) Glittering light on a rushing stream.
(b) Light gleaming off the ice.
(c) Glassy gray rocks rising up through the snow.
(d) A vein of silver in the mountain.
7. Where did Guido Tonella interview Corti?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) On the mountain.
(c) In the hospital.
(d) At the base of the North Face.
8. How did Reiss describe the thunderstorm that was going on when he reached the summit?
(a) As a welcome respite.
(b) As good conditions.
(c) As the last straw.
(d) As a tribulation.
9. How did von Almen watch Mayr's ascent?
(a) From the railway window.
(b) Through a telescope.
(c) From the foot of the North Face with binoculars.
(d) From an airplane.
10. Whose climb up the North Face was reclassified as a success between the original publication of the book and the addition of the appended section?
(a) Vaucher and Attinger.
(b) Etter and Henkel.
(c) Corti and Longhi.
(d) Gonda and Wyss.
11. Who made the last successful ascent of the North Face in 1961
(a) Erich Streng and Robert Troier.
(b) Hilti von Allmen and Ueli Hürlimann.
(c) Georg Huber and Helmut Wagner.
(d) Gerhard Mayer and Karl Frehsner.
12. How many climbers successfully climbed the North Face in 1962?
13. What happened to Lugmayer during the climb?
(a) He was hit by a stone.
(b) He was injured in a watershed.
(c) He slipped and was caught by Ratay's rope.
(d) He lost his pack.
14. How far behind Radovan KuchaÅ™ and Zdeno Zibrin were the Polish team who reached the summit the same day?
(a) 6 hours.
(b) 2 hours.
(c) 14 hours.
(d) 10 hours.
15. How many bivouacs did Spanish climbers Albert Rabada and Ernesto Navarra make before reaching the Spider?
Short Answer Questions
1. Was the filmed climb of Lothar Brandler, Jörg Lehne, and Sigfried Löw up the North Face successful?
2. How many women were in the team who attempted to climb the North Face in July, 1962?
3. What area of the mountain is the Silver Trench on?
4. What year was the final section of the book added?
5. Who made the first successful solo attempt to climb the North Face?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)