|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far behind Radovan KuchaÅ™ and Zdeno Zibrin were the Polish team who reached the summit the same day?
(a) 2 hours.
(b) 10 hours.
(c) 14 hours.
(d) 6 hours.
2. How did Helmuth Drachsler and Walter Gstrein climb past the Spider?
(a) They didn't.
(b) Up the center of the Spider.
(c) Up a wall to the right.
(d) Up a wall to the left.
3. What day did Sefano Longhi and Claudio Corti begin to climb the North Face?
(a) August 3, 1957.
(b) July 13, 1957.
(c) July 3, 1957.
(d) July 23, 1957.
4. What area of the mountain is the Silver Trench on?
(a) The Ramp.
(b) The Spider.
(c) The Second Ice Field.
(d) The Third Ice Field.
5. In 1957, what traces of Nothdurft and Mayer did search parties find?
(a) Mayer's body but not Nothdurft.
(c) Indications that they had gotten lost on the way to the summit.
(d) Indications that they had made the summit but been unable to descend.
6. What did Tonella think of Corti's description of what happened?
(a) He thought Corti was truthful, but left some things out.
(b) He thought Corti was untruthful.
(c) He thought Corti was confused but mostly accurate.
(d) He thought Corti was truthful and accurate.
7. What did Edmund Geer and Wolfang Görter do while Derungs and Albrecht were climbing the North Face?
(a) They published articles about the climb.
(b) They descended the North Face from the summit.
(c) They followed behind the young climbers.
(d) They filmed the climb.
8. What caused Boulaz, Attinger, Vaucher, and Darbellay to turn back?
(a) Boulaz was injured.
(b) Bad weather.
(c) Attinger was il.
(d) A lost pack of equipment and supplies.
9. How many climbers successfully climbed the North Face in 1962?
10. Whose climb up the North Face was reclassified as a success between the original publication of the book and the addition of the appended section?
(a) Corti and Longhi.
(b) Etter and Henkel.
(c) Gonda and Wyss.
(d) Vaucher and Attinger.
11. What did Bonatti say about why he turned back, ending his climb attempt?
(a) Bonatti said the mountain had gotten the better of him.
(b) Bonatti said the weather wasn't right for the climb.
(c) Bonatti said he would try again the following year.
(d) Bonatti said the climb wasn't worth risking his life.
12. Where was solo climber Diether Marchart on the mountain's face when he fell and died?
(a) On the Hinterstoisser Traverse.
(b) Between the First Ice Field and the Second Ice Field.
(c) On the Spider.
(d) On the Third Ice Field.
13. Was Nothdurft's diary found?
(a) Yes, but the entries were eroded.
(b) No, only a few unhelpful pages.
(c) No, no trace of it was found.
(d) Yes, but it contained no entries.
14. Why did Karl Blach take Huber's place?
(a) Huber was feeling ill.
(b) Huber was injured in an avalanche.
(c) Huber twisted his ankle.
(d) Huber was injured by a rock.
15. What did Corti say happened to Günther Nothdurft and Franz Mayer as they started out to climb the North Face?
(a) Mayer began to get ill.
(b) They lost their equipment.
(c) They had an argument and could not get along.
(d) Mayer twisted his ankle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many climbers were on the North Face between August 19 and August 23 of 1962?
2. How many climbers were killed on the North Face in 1962?
3. What doubts were raised about Toni Hiebeler, Toni Kinschofer, Anderl Mannhardt, and Walter Almberger's climb of the North Face in 1961?
4. What did Hellepart give Corti when he first contacted him?
5. How far did Karl Blach initially say he would guide Jürgen Wallenkamp and Bernd Huber on their climb up the North Face?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)