|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Detassis injured?
(a) His arm.
(b) His leg.
(c) His back.
(d) His foot.
2. Who did Harrer tell about his plans to climb the North Face?
(a) Only his future mother-in-law.
(b) Only his family.
(c) No one.
(d) Only his future wife.
3. How many day's'provisions did the first climbers to attempt the North Face bring?
4. Where did Rebitch and Vörg reach on their second day?
(a) The Third Ice Field.
(b) The Second Ice Field.
(c) The White Spider.
(d) The First Ice Field.
5. What is the relationship between Otto and Sepp Maag?
(c) Second cousins.
(d) Father and son.
6. When they arrived at the Eiger in 1936, what new route did Angerer and Rainer want to try on the North Face?
(a) A new route to the Second Ice Field from the First Ice Field..
(b) A new route to the White Spider from the Third Ice Field.
(c) A new route to the First Ice Field.
(d) A new route to the Third Ice Field from the Second Ice Field.
7. What year was the Eiger first climbed?
8. On Buhl's 1952 climb, what blocked his progress at the Ramp?
(b) An avalanche.
9. In 1950, where did North Face climbers Hamel and Seiler escape to after a blizzard?
(a) The Mittellegi Hut.
(b) The Swallow's Nest.
(c) The Kleine Scheidegg.
(d) The railway tunnel.
10. In the summer of 1936, what caused Toni Kurz and his group of climbers to turn back?
(a) One climber's pack was lost.
(b) One climber was injured in a fall.
(c) One climber began getting ill.
(d) One climber was hit by a stone.
11. When was the Northeast Face of the Eiger first climbed?
12. Who was the first mountaineer to climb the Eiger?
(a) Brendon Messering.
(b) Charles Barrington.
(c) Andres Monteau.
(d) John Shaeffer.
13. How did Harrer survive the avalanche at the Spider?
(a) He held himself with an axe.
(b) He was held by his piton.
(c) He held on to Kasparek.
(d) He was partially sheltered by an overhang.
14. Where did Heckmair and Vörg stay while waiting to start their climb?
(a) In a tent at the bottom of the North Face.
(b) In a camp in the railroad passage.
(c) At a hotel.
(d) In a tent secluded from the others to remain unnoticed.
15. In what month did Toni Kurz and his party begin their climb up the North Face?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Heckmair and Vörg have modern equipment for their climb?
2. How far did the first party to attempt to climb the North Face go on their first day?
3. What did the first description of the North Face from above say about it?
4. How many climbers were in the first ascent to the top of the North Face?
5. What did Fritz crave and lack, after climbing the Spider?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)