|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Rebitsch and Vörg climb to, after spending the night on the mountain?
(a) The Mittellegi Hut.
(b) The Hintertoisser Traverse.
(c) The Death Bivouac.
(d) The railroad tunnel.
2. What did Toni Kurz's party say to Allmen when he called to them?
(a) That they needed help.
(b) That they were going to separate.
(c) That they were going to attempt to climb up again.
(d) That they would be down soon.
3. After Buhl collapsed, who took the lead of the party?
(a) Otto Maag.
(c) Sepp Maag.
4. When Franz Primas and Bertl Gollackner climbed the Lauper Route, what did Gollackner accidentally leave behind?
(a) His food.
(b) His water.
(c) His pitons.
(d) His tent.
5. Where was Harrer attending school, in 1938?
(a) University of Wien.
(b) University of Cambridge.
(c) University of Graz.
(d) University of Zurich.
6. How far did the first party to attempt to climb the North Face go on their first day?
(a) 1,900 feet.
(b) 2,600 feet.
(c) 1,300 feet.
(d) 3,100 feet.
7. How does Harrer view change and the Eiger mountain?
(a) He sees the Eiger as ever changing.
(b) He sees the Eiger as resisting change and changing slowly.
(c) He sees the Eiger as changing in short bursts.
(d) He sees the Eiger as always changing.
8. How many climbers were in Toni Kurz's group?
9. Who led the climb down the mountain after the ascent?
10. Which of the following pairs climbed the North Face in one day in July 1952, the seventh ascent?
(a) Otto and Sepp Maag.
(b) Pierre Julien and Maurice Coutin.
(c) Sepp Larch and Karl Winter.
(d) Heinrich Harrer and Erich Vanis.
11. What did the first description of the North Face from above say about it?
(a) That it was beautiful and impossible to climb.
(b) That climbing it would be a challenge soon overcome.
(c) That it would be an easy climb.
(d) That climbing it would be a challenge for future decades.
12. What year did Harrer escape from the prison camp?
13. Why did Giuseppe Piravano and Bruno Detassis climb partially up the northeast face?
(a) To practice new climbing techniques.
(b) To get a better look at the North Face.
(c) To take phorographs for a travel magazine.
(d) To keep in shape while waiting for better weather.
14. What day did Harrer and Kasparek begin their 1938 climb of the North Face?
(a) July 14.
(b) July 28.
(c) July 21.
(d) July 7.
15. What disadvantage did the Maags have during their climb?
(a) They were underequipped.
(b) They were ill.
(c) Otto had a disfigured foot.
(d) Otto had injured his wrist.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far did Schlunegger and Krähenbühl climb in 1946 before having to climb back down?
2. How many climbers were in the first ascent to the top of the North Face?
3. In the story the author tells at the beginning of the book, how does the climber criticize Harrer's idea to write about the Eiger?
4. Where did Rebitch and Vörg end their third day?
5. What nationality was the second team to successfully climb the North Face?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)