|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of weather hit when Terray and Lachenal reached the Spider, during their climb in 1946?
(a) A thunderstorm.
(c) A snowstorm.
(d) A windstorm.
2. On Buhl's 1952 climb, what blocked his progress at the Ramp?
(c) An avalanche.
3. What problem did Heckmair have during the night?
(a) His stomach was upset.
(b) Rocks slid down and hit his arm.
(c) His hands began to freeze.
(d) His rope sling began to slip.
4. Who led the climb down the mountain after the ascent?
5. Which of the following pairs climbed the North Face in one day in July 1952, the seventh ascent?
(a) Otto and Sepp Maag.
(b) Pierre Julien and Maurice Coutin.
(c) Sepp Larch and Karl Winter.
(d) Heinrich Harrer and Erich Vanis.
6. When did Pierre Julien and Maurice Coutin climb the North Face?
(a) June 1952.
(b) September 1952.
(c) July 1952.
(d) August 1952.
7. How many climbers were there in the first party to attempt to climb the North Face?
8. How far did the first party to attempt to climb the North Face go on their first day?
(a) 2,600 feet.
(b) 1,900 feet.
(c) 3,100 feet.
(d) 1,300 feet.
9. In what month did Toni Kurz and his party begin their climb up the North Face?
10. Where did Rebitsch and Vörg climb to, after spending the night on the mountain?
(a) The Hintertoisser Traverse.
(b) The Mittellegi Hut.
(c) The railroad tunnel.
(d) The Death Bivouac.
11. What disadvantage did the Maags have during their climb?
(a) Otto had injured his wrist.
(b) Otto had a disfigured foot.
(c) They were ill.
(d) They were underequipped.
12. How many climbers were in Toni Kurz's group?
13. When was the Northeast Face of the Eiger first climbed?
14. In the third successful climb up the North Face, what nationality were Jermann's guides?
15. What obstacle befell Buhl and his group on the Spider during the 1952 climb?
(a) Surging waterfalls.
(b) An avalanche.
(c) A boulder falling.
(d) Impassible ice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the press call the North Face?
2. On Rebitsch and Vörg's return to the base of the North Face later in the month, what do they decide to do?
3. In the summer of 1936, what caused Toni Kurz and his group of climbers to turn back?
4. What aspect of climbing does Harrer want to focus on in his book?
5. On what day of the climb did Toni Kurz and his party turn back?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)