|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Man, the Deciding Factor, Route Guide to the North Face, and Attempts and Successes on the North Face.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What phrase do newspapers use to describe the rush of climbers heading for the North Face?
(a) Eiger Storm.
(b) North Face Fever.
(c) White Spider Craze.
(d) Ice Field Flurry.
2. Where did Harrer and Kasparek camp after their first day climbing the North Face?
(a) Below the Third Ice Field.
(b) At the Flatiron.
(c) At the Death Bivouac.
(d) Below the Second Ice Field.
3. Was Nothdurft's diary found?
(a) No, no trace of it was found.
(b) Yes, but it contained no entries.
(c) No, only a few unhelpful pages.
(d) Yes, but the entries were eroded.
4. In 1957, what traces of Nothdurft and Mayer did search parties find?
(a) Indications that they had gotten lost on the way to the summit.
(b) Mayer's body but not Nothdurft.
(c) Indications that they had made the summit but been unable to descend.
5. Who was the first woman to successfully climb the North Face?
(a) Carlotta Sedler.
(b) Loulou Boulaz.
(c) Yvette Attinger.
(d) Daisy Voog.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the summer of 1936, what caused Toni Kurz and his group of climbers to turn back?
2. How far did the first party to attempt to climb the North Face go on their first day?
3. What did Bonatti say about why he turned back, ending his climb attempt?
4. How far did Karl Blach initially say he would guide Jürgen Wallenkamp and Bernd Huber on their climb up the North Face?
5. What does Harrer recommend to climbers for protection from rocks?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)