|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Man, the Deciding Factor, Route Guide to the North Face, and Attempts and Successes on the North Face.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did newspapers react to plans to climb the North Face in 1937?
(a) With indifference and certainty that attempts would fail.
(b) With condemnation against the suicidal dangers.
(c) With both outcry against the danger and sensationalism.
(d) With enthusiastic sensationalism of the heroism of the climbers.
2. On what day of the climb did Toni Kurz and his party turn back?
(a) The second day.
(b) The third day.
(c) The fourth day.
(d) The fifth day.
3. Why did Rebitsch and Vörg start up the northeast face of the mountain?
(a) To search for the missing climbers.
(b) To look more closely at the North Face.
(c) To beat other parties up the mountain.
(d) To try out a new route.
4. Was the filmed climb of Lothar Brandler, Jörg Lehne, and Sigfried Löw up the North Face successful?
(a) Yes, for two of the climbers.
(b) Yes, but the film was unusable.
(c) No, but the film made it seem successful.
(d) No, the weather conditions were too harsh.
5. Where did Erich Vanis, Hans Ratay, and Karl Lugmayer bivouac their first night on the mountain in 1952?
(a) At the Ramp.
(b) Above the Second Ice Field.
(c) At the Swallow's Nest.
(d) At the Mittellegi Hut.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many climbers were on the North Face between August 19 and August 23 of 1962?
2. How far did Italian climber Walter Bonatti get in his solo attempt to climb the North Face in 1963?
3. When did Helmut Salger and Horst Wels climb the North Face?
4. What date did Erich Vanis, Hans Ratay, and Karl Lugmayer arrive at the North Face?
5. Who made the last successful ascent of the North Face in 1961
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)