|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Silver Trench, Climbers Have a Language of Their Own, and I Am Sorry, Brian....
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Mayr climb from the First Ice Field to the Second Ice Field?
(a) Straight up a rock.
(b) In a longer, less steep crevice pathway.
(c) Through a traverse.
(d) By cutting ice steps up a slope.
2. How did von Almen watch Mayr's ascent?
(a) Through a telescope.
(b) From an airplane.
(c) From the foot of the North Face with binoculars.
(d) From the railway window.
3. What profession were Adolf Derungs and Lukas Albrecht, who made the 16th successful ascent up the North Face?
(b) Bank tellers.
(c) Ski instructors.
4. Why did the Austrians climbers Waschak and Forstenlechner stop climbing and wait at the Spider during their ascent?
(a) They didn't want to finish the ascent before the Swiss.
(b) They ran out of supplies.
(c) Waschak felt ill.
(d) Forstenlechner was injured.
5. What did Corti do when he could not lift Longhi up onto the ledge?
(a) He left Longhi and climbed up, promising to send rescue.
(b) He left Longhi and climbed down, promising to send rescue.
(c) He stayed with Longhi and tried to signal for help.
(d) He left Longhi, promising to return with the other two climbers on the mountain.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Longhi and Corti's climb up the North Face begin?
2. How many climbers were there in the first party to attempt to climb the North Face?
3. Where did Rebitch and Vörg end their third day?
4. How many nights did Pierre Julien and Maurice Coutin spend on the mountain during their 1952 climb?
5. What nationality was the second team to successfully climb the North Face?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)