|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Silver Trench, Climbers Have a Language of Their Own, and I Am Sorry, Brian....
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did von Almen watch Mayr's ascent?
(a) Through a telescope.
(b) From the railway window.
(c) From an airplane.
(d) From the foot of the North Face with binoculars.
2. Who made the last successful ascent of the North Face in 1961
(a) Gerhard Mayer and Karl Frehsner.
(b) Hilti von Allmen and Ueli Hürlimann.
(c) Georg Huber and Helmut Wagner.
(d) Erich Streng and Robert Troier.
3. In 1957, what traces of Nothdurft and Mayer did search parties find?
(a) Indications that they had gotten lost on the way to the summit.
(b) Indications that they had made the summit but been unable to descend.
(c) Mayer's body but not Nothdurft.
4. How did Heckmair survive the avalanche at the Spider?
(a) He held himself with an axe.
(b) He was held by his piton.
(c) He was partially sheltered by an overhang.
(d) He held on to Kasparek.
5. What did Edmund Geer and Wolfang Görter do while Derungs and Albrecht were climbing the North Face?
(a) They followed behind the young climbers.
(b) They descended the North Face from the summit.
(c) They filmed the climb.
(d) They published articles about the climb.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day did Harrer and Kasparek begin their 1938 climb of the North Face?
2. Where did Rebitch and Vörg end the fourth day of their climb?
3. What did the friend Nothdurft and Mayer visited before leaving think of Nothdurft's behavior on the mountain?
4. When was the first attempt to climb the North Face?
5. Where did Guido Tonella interview Corti?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)