|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Tragedy of 1957.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nationality was the second team to successfully climb the North Face?
2. What did Corti do when he could not lift Longhi up onto the ledge?
(a) He left Longhi and climbed down, promising to send rescue.
(b) He left Longhi, promising to return with the other two climbers on the mountain.
(c) He left Longhi and climbed up, promising to send rescue.
(d) He stayed with Longhi and tried to signal for help.
3. Which of the following pairs climbed the North Face in one day in July 1952, the seventh ascent?
(a) Pierre Julien and Maurice Coutin.
(b) Heinrich Harrer and Erich Vanis.
(c) Otto and Sepp Maag.
(d) Sepp Larch and Karl Winter.
4. What did Tonella think of Corti's description of what happened?
(a) He thought Corti was confused but mostly accurate.
(b) He thought Corti was untruthful.
(c) He thought Corti was truthful and accurate.
(d) He thought Corti was truthful, but left some things out.
5. According to Corti's report, what happened to him at the Spider?
(a) He sprained his ankle in a rockslide.
(b) He broke a rib in an avalanche.
(c) He was hit in the head by a stone.
(d) He hurt his hand on a piton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Rebitch and Vörg reach on their second day?
2. How far did Schlunegger and Krähenbühl climb in 1946 before having to climb back down?
3. Where was Detassis injured?
4. Where did the French party join up with Buhl and his group on the 1952 climb?
5. What did Corti say happened to Günther Nothdurft and Franz Mayer as they started out to climb the North Face?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)