Come Back Safe, My Friends and The White Spider
• Harrer decided to write about the true North Face of the Eiger, focusing on the human aspect of climbing, and was assisted by journalist and mountaineer Kurt Maix.
• The author recognizes the deadly danger posed by climbing the North Face, but does not discourage or condemn the attempt, instead merely wishing climbers a safe return.
• The Eiger was first climbed by Charles Barrington in 1858, and the difficult North Face, the last route up the Eiger to be climbed, was successfully conquered eighty years later in 1938.
The First Attempt on the North Face and The Tragedy of Toni Kurz
• In 1935, Max Sadlmayer and Karl Mehringer attempted to climb the North Face and were watched eagerly from below until they disappeared into a mist; eventually one of the climbers was found dead atop the Third Ice Field.
• In 1936, Toni Kurz and...
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)