|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the commotion Gunnar notices when he leaves a man's house after watching television there?
2. What does Psycho Loco ask the Boston University recruiter?
3. What is Gunnar asked his comments about?
4. How does Gunnar get his assignments from class?
5. What does Gunnar do when the introductory speaker is talking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gunnar's creative writing class want him to do?
2. What does Gunnar decide is the best approach to speaking and what does he talk about?
3. Who crashes Gunnar's wedding and what happens between them and his bride?
4. When does Gunnar's wedding take place and who performs the ceremony?
5. What does Gunnar's coach tell him about Nick and what does the coach have for him? What does Gunnar do?
6. Where is Gunnar's wedding reception and where does he go for a honeymoon?
7. Who arranges a marriage for Gunnar and how does he come up with a bride? Where does the wedding take place?
8. What subject does Nick bring up to Gunnar and what does Nick ask Gunnar?
9. What does Gunnar say to the reporters about suicide?
10. What does Gunnar see when they finally get out of practice in Chapter Seven and how does he learn what is happening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The White Boy Shuffle, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The White Boy Shuffle. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
One night after leaving a dance club, the guys talk about police harassment they have endured and they discuss the possible outcomes of the upcoming trial for the police officers caught on film beating a black motorist named Rodney King.
1. Police officers stopping minorities more often than whites is called racial profiling. What measures do you think should be taken to prevent racial profiling? Discuss your opinion in depth using examples from The White Boy Shuffle and your own life.
2. What would you do if you were Gunnar and stopped by the police for no reason? Discuss your options in depth.
3. Do you think that a suit and college education stops racism? Why or why not? Discuss your opinion in depth using examples from The White Boy Shuffle and your own life.
Essay Topic 3
Gunnar is momentarily angered that Nick and the man are talking about Gunnar's poetry, but thinking of his poetry at a time when he is so upset makes Gunnar realize that his poetry serves the same function as Psycho Loco's violence. Gunnar uses poetry to help him cope with external events, and Psycho Loco uses violence for the same reason.
1. How do you think poetry helps Gunnar cope with external events? Use examples from The White Boy Shuffle and your own life to support your answer.
2. How do you think violence helps Psycho Loco cope with external events? Use examples from The White Boy Shuffle and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss how two such different activities as writing poetry and committing violence could serve the same function. Use examples from The White Boy Shuffle and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)