|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gunnar's coach tell him one morning?
2. What does Nick say Gunnar forgot to factor in when Gunnar spoke of music being finite?
3. Why does Gunnar go to Ms. Kim's store?
4. Where is the wedding reception held?
5. What is Gunnar asked his comments about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the school counselor feel about Gunnar's SAT scores and what happens because of his scores?
2. What does Nick complain about Boston and what does he do about it?
3. Who arranges a marriage for Gunnar and how does he come up with a bride? Where does the wedding take place?
4. What subject does Nick bring up to Gunnar and what does Nick ask Gunnar?
5. Where does Gunnar find refuge in his new school, how does he get his assignments and why has he been brought to that school?
6. What does the recruiter from Boston University do to woo Gunnar?
7. What does Gunnar's creative writing class want him to do?
8. What does Gunnar find out when he gets out of the hospital after the riots and goes to Psycho's house? What does Psycho say to Gunnar?
9. What does Gunnar decide is the best approach to speaking and what does he talk about?
10. What does Gunnar do when he can find no extracurricular activities to join and want does Gunnar write Yoshiko while on the road?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Gunnar from the beginning of the book to who he is at the end of the book. How are they similar? How are they different? Which person do you like more? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Nick and Psycho Loco. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The White Boy Shuffle who help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Many black people are as prejudiced against white people as the other way around.
1. Do you think Gunnar's feelings towards white people are justified?
2. Some people call the idea of minorities hating the majority "reverse prejudice." What do you think this means and do you believe it exist?
3. Discuss why it is almost inevitable that an oppressed minority would be prejudiced against their oppressors. Use examples from The White Boy Shuffle and your own life to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Gunnar is momentarily angered that Nick and the man are talking about Gunnar's poetry, but thinking of his poetry at a time when he is so upset makes Gunnar realize that his poetry serves the same function as Psycho Loco's violence. Gunnar uses poetry to help him cope with external events, and Psycho Loco uses violence for the same reason.
1. How do you think poetry helps Gunnar cope with external events? Use examples from The White Boy Shuffle and your own life to support your answer.
2. How do you think violence helps Psycho Loco cope with external events? Use examples from The White Boy Shuffle and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss how two such different activities as writing poetry and committing violence could serve the same function. Use examples from The White Boy Shuffle and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)