|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gunnar mock the game played between Campesino and Hillside?
2. What does Coach Shimimoto do at basketball practice in Chapter Seven?
3. What does Yoshiko tell Gunnar about herself one morning?
4. What does Gunnar's father say he has to do in order for his looting to not be reported?
5. What does Gunnar's coach tell him one morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gunnar do when he can find no extracurricular activities to join and want does Gunnar write Yoshiko while on the road?
2. Where is Gunnar's wedding reception and where does he go for a honeymoon?
3. What does Gunnar say to the reporters about suicide?
4. What does Gunnar's coach tell him about Nick and what does the coach have for him? What does Gunnar do?
5. What kind of social life does Gunnar, Yoshiko and Nick have in Boston?
6. What happens in Chapter Seven when Gunnar arrives at Ms. Kim's store?
7. What does Gunnar find out when he gets out of the hospital after the riots and goes to Psycho's house? What does Psycho say to Gunnar?
8. What does the recruiter from Boston University do to woo Gunnar?
9. Who crashes Gunnar's wedding and what happens between them and his bride?
10. What does Coach Shimimoto do and say when he keeps the team longer at practice in Chapter Seven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One night after leaving a dance club, the guys talk about police harassment they have endured and they discuss the possible outcomes of the upcoming trial for the police officers caught on film beating a black motorist named Rodney King.
1. Police officers stopping minorities more often than whites is called racial profiling. What measures do you think should be taken to prevent racial profiling? Discuss your opinion in depth using examples from The White Boy Shuffle and your own life.
2. What would you do if you were Gunnar and stopped by the police for no reason? Discuss your options in depth.
3. Do you think that a suit and college education stops racism? Why or why not? Discuss your opinion in depth using examples from The White Boy Shuffle and your own life.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The White Boy Shuffle.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The White Boy Shuffle. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The White Boy Shuffle. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The White Boy Shuffle. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of individual freedom in The White Boy Shuffle. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess individual freedom? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of tradition in The White Boy Shuffle. What is Gunnar's view of tradition? Gunnar's mother? Nick's? Gunnar's father. Why is tradition important to some characters? Is anyone willing to abandon traditional viewpoints? Who? What are the positive and negative sides to holding fast to tradition?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)