|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gunnar do when the introductory speaker is talking?
2. What does Gunnar think of the rhetoric of Ambrosia?
3. What does Gunnar see when he leaves basketball practice in Chapter Seven?
4. What idea do Gunnar and Nick have about the riots?
5. Where is the second place Gunnar and his bride go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the recruiter from Boston University do to woo Gunnar?
2. What does Gunnar say to the reporters about suicide?
3. What does Gunnar decide is the best approach to speaking and what does he talk about?
4. What happens when Yoshiko goes into labor?
5. What happens when Gunnar leaves his creative writing class in Chapter Ten when Gunnar is going home?
6. What does Coach Shimimoto do and say when he keeps the team longer at practice in Chapter Seven?
7. When does Gunnar's wedding take place and who performs the ceremony?
8. What does Nick complain about Boston and what does he do about it?
9. Who crashes Gunnar's wedding and what happens between them and his bride?
10. To what is Gunnar invited to speak and how does Gunnar feel about the introductory speaker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Do you think racism still exists in the United States? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss in depth several things that you can do in your own life to help stop prejudice against any group of people. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. According to the hate crime law any person harming another person and the primary motivation is prejudice or hatred that crime is more serious than the same act against a person that does not have that motivation. Do you think this is a good law? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
One night after leaving a dance club, the guys talk about police harassment they have endured and they discuss the possible outcomes of the upcoming trial for the police officers caught on film beating a black motorist named Rodney King.
1. Police officers stopping minorities more often than whites is called racial profiling. What measures do you think should be taken to prevent racial profiling? Discuss your opinion in depth using examples from The White Boy Shuffle and your own life.
2. What would you do if you were Gunnar and stopped by the police for no reason? Discuss your options in depth.
3. Do you think that a suit and college education stops racism? Why or why not? Discuss your opinion in depth using examples from The White Boy Shuffle and your own life.
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The White Boy Shuffle. Questions that Beatty most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Beatty's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Beatty's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Paul Beatty and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)