|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Pumpkin die?
(a) At Psycho's house.
(b) In a store.
(c) At school.
(d) In the hospital.
2. How do some of the children feel about the health exams?
3. What surprises the school receptionist about Gunnar's arrival at school?
(a) That he knew where the office was located.
(b) That he was wearing a suit.
(c) That he looks so young.
(d) That he is so early.
4. What does Gunnar feel like in his neighborhood?
(a) A social reformer.
(b) A foreigner.
(c) A clean-up boy.
(d) A prophet.
5. What does Gunnar do at Pumpkin's funeral?
(a) Delivers the eulogy.
(b) Recites a poem.
(c) Sits with his mother.
6. What does Gunnar say the majority of the playground jokes concern?
(a) They are mostly jokes about teachers.
(b) They are mostly gang jokes.
(c) They are mostly ethnic jokes.
(d) They are mostly jokes about sex.
7. What issue does Gunnar's elementary school take to absurd levels?
(a) Being ready for college.
(c) Obeying authority.
(d) Multicultural issues.
8. Why can Gunnar walk the neighborhood without fear?
(a) He is too big to mess with.
(b) He has made friends with everyone in the area.
(c) His father has moved back in the house.
(d) He is good friends with Psycho Loco.
9. What does Euripides do after he taunts some British soldiers?
(a) Moves to the back of the crowd.
(b) Gets himself shot.
(c) Lies down in the street.
(d) Runs home.
10. Why does Gunnar think the officers' question about gangs is absurd?
(a) He hasn't been there long enough to make friends.
(b) His mother would never allow him to join a gang.
(c) He is too young to be in a gang.
(d) He is obviously an upper class black.
11. What do the gang members who find Gunnar in the store do?
(a) Beat him up.
(b) Ask him to join the gang.
(c) Drag him out to the parking lot.
(d) Tear up the store and blame it on Gunnar.
12. With whom did Gunnar play in Santa Monica?
(a) Black and white friends.
(b) He had no friends.
(c) White friends.
(d) Black friends.
13. Why did Gunnar get in trouble sometimes at the beach?
(a) For playing pranks.
(b) For getting in fists fights.
(c) For fishing off the pier.
(d) For being black.
14. What inspires Swen to create a new dance?
(a) Seeing his first born.
(b) Listening to Abraham Lincoln make a speech.
(c) Hearing slaves singing.
(d) Falling in love.
15. What happens after more children arrive at the swings?
(a) The Kaufman children are beaten.
(b) Betty knocks Gunnar out.
(c) The swing set is pushed over.
(d) A pick-up game of basketball starts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Psycho Loco do when an opposing player strikes Nick during a basketball game?
2. Where does Wolfgang move after he is fired?
3. How does Gunnar feel about the police in his new area?
4. In what subject is Nick Scoby most interested?
5. What happens when two girls charge the swings where Gunnar and his sisters are?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)