|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After returning home from vacation, why is Stephen upset at her mother's request to visit her at Morton?
(a) Because Lady Anna failed to invite Mary.
(b) Because Lady Anna has defied Stephen's request to not write her.
(c) Because Lady Anna sold Sir Phillip's possessions.
(d) Because Lady Anna criticized Stephen's novels.
2. After returning home to Paris from their vacation, what does Stephen purchase in order to show Mary around Paris?
(a) Two new bicycles.
(b) Two new cars.
(c) An airplane.
(d) A hot air balloon.
3. What is the likely reason Stephen occasionally travels back to Morton after moving to Paris?
(a) To give Lady Anna the opportunity to apologize for the pain she has caused.
(b) To keep up appearnaces, for her mother's sake.
(c) To apologize to Lady Anna.
(d) To visit her horses?
4. When "The Well of Loneliness" was published in 1928, what reason was given as to why it was banned?
(a) It unfairly depicts the wealthy as intolerant and homophobic.
(b) Any book depicting alcohol as "fun," was banned by Prohibition.
(c) It adresses the issues of homosexuality from the point of a lesbian.
(d) It was believed to be saturated with infidelity, sexual promiscuity, and suicide.
5. What character is resentful of Jonathan's interference in Stephen's plans and future?
(a) Colonel Antrim.
(b) Miss Puddleton.
(c) Lady Anna.
(d) Angela Crossby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the woman Mary befriends in Italy?
2. Whom does Stephen cut off all contact and friendship with, afraid her true relationship with Mary will be discovered and criticized?
3. After touring places throughout Paris, what is Stephen's reaction to Jonathan's intentions?
4. How is Stephen's published third novel received by critics and the public?
5. After the wedding, where do Stephen, Mary, Jamie, and Barbara go on holiday?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stephen attempt to protect Mary while the two are serving together in the ambulance brigade during the war?
2. What type of tour does Brockett give to Stephen once she arrives in Paris, and what is Stephen's reaction to the tour?
3. How does Raferty prompt Stephen to return home to Morton?
4. What connection do Stephen and Wanda share with each other, particularly around Christmas time?
5. What career path has Stephen chosen upon leaving Morton?
6. How is Stephen injured during the war?
7. What is Stephen's life like two years after leaving Morton?
8. How do Barbara and Jamie die?
9. After leaving the hospital, where does Stephen take Mary for vacation, and what does she realize about their relationship?
10. Why does Martin threaten to leave Paris soon after he meets Stephen there?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)