|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen react after she discovers Martin's feelings towards Mary and his subsequent plan?
(a) She falls into a deep depression.
(b) She becomes enraged, forbidding Mary to have any contact with Martin.
(c) She refuses to speak to Martin again.
(d) She promises they will work something out.
2. Why is Stephen depressed after the wedding reception?
(a) Because Stephen discovers she has lost astounding amounts of money after financing the wedding.
(b) Because Mary falls mysteriously ill.
(c) Because her mother, Lady Anna, passes away.
(d) Because the wedding showed Stephen what she will never experince with Mary.
3. After Martin's return into Stephen's life, why does she spend so much time with him?
(a) Because she enjoys the comfort he brings by accepting her lifestyle.
(b) Because spends lavishly and spoils her.
(c) Because she feels obligated to spend time with him.
(d) Because Martin is afraid to venture out in a new city alone.
4. In an attempt to relieve Barbara's condition, what does Stephen offer to Jamie and Barbara, only to be refused?
(a) Money to pay for Jamie and Barbara's dream car.
(c) Two bottles of whiskey and a bag of tobacco.
(d) Money to pay for Barbara's medical bills.
5. After falling in love with Mary, what does Martin propose to do to remedy the conflict with Stephen?
(a) To commit suicide. He always falls in love with the wrong woman.
(b) To leave Paris and spare Stephen the pain of Mary's possible rejection of her.
(c) To confront Stephen and demand to see Mary alone as often as possible.
(d) To run away with Mary while Stephen is unaware.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon arrival back to Paris from vacation, what is Barbara's diagnosis?
2. What division of the French Army Ambulance Corps does Stephen join for her military service?
3. When "The Well of Loneliness" was published in 1928, what reason was given as to why it was banned?
4. After leaving the military, where do Stephen and Mary eventually decide to vacation together?
5. On vacation together, what activities do Stephen and Mary particularly enjoy doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important connections does Mary make at Valerie Seymour's Christmas party the year after she moves to Paris?
2. What is the reaction from the public to Stephen's third book?
3. How do Barbara and Jamie die?
4. How does Stephen react when Martin Hallam writes to tell her that he has moved to Paris?
5. How does Stephen trick Mary into leaving her, and what is Mary's reaction to this trick?
6. How does Stephen react when World War I breaks out while she is living in Paris?
7. What is Rue Jacob?
8. How does Raferty prompt Stephen to return home to Morton?
9. How does Stephen spoil Mary when they return to Paris after the war?
10. How does Stephen attempt to protect Mary while the two are serving together in the ambulance brigade during the war?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)