|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who visits Stephen and Mary at their home on Christmas Eve, suggesting they pay a visit to Valerie Seymour?
(a) Mademoiselle Duphot.
(b) Jonathan Brockett.
(c) Violet Peacock.
(d) Miss Puddleton.
2. After retuning from Italy, which of the following activities do Stephen and Mary regularly share with their homosexual friends?
(a) Going to nightclubs and bars.
(b) Taking eisurly car drives through Paris.
(c) Protesting homosexual injustices at city hall.
(d) Bringing each other's pets to the neighborhood park.
3. After Stephen publishes her second work, why does Jonathan suggest Stephen travel abroad?
(a) To get positive attention from the writing community.
(b) To find a new occupation.
(c) To meet new people and gather experience.
(d) To hide and avoid criticism from the writing community.
4. How does Stephen's endeavor of writing a third novel affect her relationship with Mary?
(a) Mary oftern feels left out and unattendend to while Stephen fails to understand Mary's pain.
(b) Mary's observation of Stephen working tirelessing on her novel increases their respect and admiration for each other.
(c) Mary begins to dispise Stephen and they fight regularly.
(d) There is no real affect as both women have their preoccupations.
5. What is Stephen's reaction toward Martin Hallam's letter, notifying her of his recent move to Paris and intentions to reignite their friendship?
(a) She asks Mary to make the final decision.
(b) She throws the letter away in disgust.
(c) She immediately contacts him and makes dinner plans.
(d) She cautiously waits to give her response.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stephen's friend Mary have family?
2. One day while walking the Paris streets, Stephen encounters her old Morton tutor Mademoiselle Duphot. Why is Duphot living in Paris?
3. During Stephen and Mary's Christmas party, what is the topic of discussion between Wanda and Stephen much to the chagrin of the other guests?
4. What relative of Martin Hallam is both polite, yet disapproving of Stephen and her lifestyle?
5. Upon arrival back to Paris from vacation, what is Barbara's diagnosis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important connections does Mary make at Valerie Seymour's Christmas party the year after she moves to Paris?
2. How do Barbara and Jamie die?
3. How does Raferty prompt Stephen to return home to Morton?
4. After leaving the hospital, where does Stephen take Mary for vacation, and what does she realize about their relationship?
5. What type of tour does Brockett give to Stephen once she arrives in Paris, and what is Stephen's reaction to the tour?
6. How is Stephen injured during the war?
7. What is Rue Jacob?
8. What writing advice does Jonathan Brockett give to Stephen upon the release of her second novel?
9. Why did Madamoiselle Duphot return to Paris after living for many years in England?
10. How does Stephen attempt to protect Mary while the two are serving together in the ambulance brigade during the war?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)