|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What division of the French Army Ambulance Corps does Stephen join for her military service?
(a) Blitzkrieg Unit.
(b) Beta Unit.
(c) Bravado Unit.
(d) Breakspeare Unit.
2. When "The Well of Loneliness" was published in 1928, what reason was given as to why it was banned?
(a) Any book depicting alcohol as "fun," was banned by Prohibition.
(b) It was believed to be saturated with infidelity, sexual promiscuity, and suicide.
(c) It unfairly depicts the wealthy as intolerant and homophobic.
(d) It adresses the issues of homosexuality from the point of a lesbian.
3. After being injured in battle, what French military honor is bestowed upon Stephen for her courage?
(a) Croix de Guerre.
(b) Médaille des évadés.
(c) Croix du combattant.
(d) Croix de la Valeur Militaire.
4. What is the ethnicity of the family employed to cook and clean for Stephen in her new home in Paris?
5. After returning home from vacation, why is Stephen upset at her mother's request to visit her at Morton?
(a) Because Lady Anna sold Sir Phillip's possessions.
(b) Because Lady Anna has defied Stephen's request to not write her.
(c) Because Lady Anna failed to invite Mary.
(d) Because Lady Anna criticized Stephen's novels.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose French wedding is financed, catered, and housed by Stephen?
2. After the Christmas Party, which of the following institutions do Stephen and Wanda attend together one afternoon?
3. While Stephen takes in the sights and cultures of Paris life, she begins fencing again. What is the name of her instructor?
4. After Stephen puts down her ill horse, Raftery, what does Lady Anna offer Stephen as a gesture of condolence?
5. Who visits Stephen and Mary at their home on Christmas Eve, suggesting they pay a visit to Valerie Seymour?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Madamoiselle Duphot return to Paris after living for many years in England?
2. What connection do Stephen and Wanda share with each other, particularly around Christmas time?
3. How does Raferty prompt Stephen to return home to Morton?
4. How does Stephen react when Martin Hallam writes to tell her that he has moved to Paris?
5. What is Rue Jacob?
6. How does Mary feel when she learns that Martin is in love with her?
7. What is the reaction from the public to Stephen's third book?
8. After leaving the hospital, where does Stephen take Mary for vacation, and what does she realize about their relationship?
9. What writing advice does Jonathan Brockett give to Stephen upon the release of her second novel?
10. How do Barbara and Jamie die?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)