|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Jonathan's friend, Valerie Seymour?
(a) She is a wealthy Englishwoman.
(b) All of the above.
(c) She is a skilled dancer.
(d) She is heterosexual.
2. After Martin's return into Stephen's life, why does she spend so much time with him?
(a) Because Martin is afraid to venture out in a new city alone.
(b) Because she feels obligated to spend time with him.
(c) Because she enjoys the comfort he brings by accepting her lifestyle.
(d) Because spends lavishly and spoils her.
3. After the wedding, where do Stephen, Mary, Jamie, and Barbara go on holiday?
(a) London, England.
(b) Saint Malo, France.
(c) Orotava, Spain.
(d) Houlgate, France.
4. After leaving the military, where do Stephen and Mary eventually decide to vacation together?
5. Whose French wedding is financed, catered, and housed by Stephen?
(a) Violet Peacock.
(b) Jonathan Brockett.
(c) The daughter of Stephen's servent, Adele.
(d) The son of Stephen's servent, Klaus.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Stephen publishes her second work, where does Jonathan suggest Stephen travel abroad to?
2. Why does Stephen dislike Jonathan's friend, Valerie Seymour?
3. Once in London, Stephen consistently avoids social activities such as parties and going out to restaurants. Which character is concerned for Stephen's mental health?
4. Whom does Stephen cut off all contact and friendship with, afraid her true relationship with Mary will be discovered and criticized?
5. What is the name of the woman Mary befriends in Italy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stephen spoil Mary when they return to Paris after the war?
2. What is Stephen's life like two years after leaving Morton?
3. What writing advice does Jonathan Brockett give to Stephen upon the release of her second novel?
4. How does Mary feel when she learns that Martin is in love with her?
5. How does Stephen react when Martin Hallam writes to tell her that he has moved to Paris?
6. After leaving the hospital, where does Stephen take Mary for vacation, and what does she realize about their relationship?
7. How does Stephen react when World War I breaks out while she is living in Paris?
8. How do Barbara and Jamie die?
9. Why does Martin threaten to leave Paris soon after he meets Stephen there?
10. How does Stephen trick Mary into leaving her, and what is Mary's reaction to this trick?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)