|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relative of Martin Hallam is both polite, yet disapproving of Stephen and her lifestyle?
(a) Aunt Sarah.
(b) Uncle Harry.
(c) Uncle Robert.
(d) Aunt Elisabeth.
2. In an attempt to relieve Barbara's condition, what does Stephen offer to Jamie and Barbara, only to be refused?
(b) Money to pay for Jamie and Barbara's dream car.
(c) Two bottles of whiskey and a bag of tobacco.
(d) Money to pay for Barbara's medical bills.
3. While Stephen takes in the sights and cultures of Paris life, she begins fencing again. What is the name of her instructor?
4. Why is Stephen depressed after the wedding reception?
(a) Because Stephen discovers she has lost astounding amounts of money after financing the wedding.
(b) Because Mary falls mysteriously ill.
(c) Because her mother, Lady Anna, passes away.
(d) Because the wedding showed Stephen what she will never experince with Mary.
5. After the Christmas Party, which of the following institutions do Stephen and Wanda attend together one afternoon?
(b) A war memorial ceremony.
(c) No specific institution, just Wanda's car garage.
(d) An art gallery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon arrival back to Paris from vacation, what is Barbara's diagnosis?
2. After returning home from a visit to Morton, what is the most reasonable explanation for Stephen's decision to write a third novel?
3. During Stephen's brave rescues in the heat of battle, what part of Stephen's body is injured?
4. After falling in love with Mary, what does Martin propose to do to remedy the conflict with Stephen?
5. After leaving the military, where do Stephen and Mary eventually decide to vacation together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gossip begins to emerge about Stephen and Mary while they are on their first vacation together?
2. Why did Madamoiselle Duphot return to Paris after living for many years in England?
3. What connection do Stephen and Wanda share with each other, particularly around Christmas time?
4. How is Stephen injured during the war?
5. Why does Martin threaten to leave Paris soon after he meets Stephen there?
6. How does Stephen trick Mary into leaving her, and what is Mary's reaction to this trick?
7. How does Adele's wedding affect Stephen emotionally?
8. How does Stephen's work affect her relationship with Mary?
9. How does Mary feel when she learns that Martin is in love with her?
10. How does Stephen react when World War I breaks out while she is living in Paris?
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)