|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Stephen's published third novel received by critics and the public?
(a) The book fails to gather anyone's attention.
(b) The book is widely criticized and a tragic disaster.
(c) The book is a wild success.
(d) Stephen fears the public's reaction and thus never publishes the book.
2. During Stephen's brave rescues in the heat of battle, what part of Stephen's body is injured?
(a) Her face.
(b) Her ear.
(c) Her leg.
(d) Her shoulder.
3. After Martin's return into Stephen's life, why does she spend so much time with him?
(a) Because she enjoys the comfort he brings by accepting her lifestyle.
(b) Because spends lavishly and spoils her.
(c) Because she feels obligated to spend time with him.
(d) Because Martin is afraid to venture out in a new city alone.
4. After retuning from Italy, which of the following activities do Stephen and Mary regularly share with their homosexual friends?
(a) Protesting homosexual injustices at city hall.
(b) Taking eisurly car drives through Paris.
(c) Going to nightclubs and bars.
(d) Bringing each other's pets to the neighborhood park.
5. After Stephen receives her military decoration, what does Mary beg her not to do?
(a) Send her away.
(b) Leave France.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Continue her militray career.
Short Answer Questions
1. On vacation together, what activities do Stephen and Mary particularly enjoy doing?
2. How long does Stephen live away from home before being called back to Morton for the first time?
3. After Stephen publishes her second work, where does Jonathan suggest Stephen travel abroad to?
4. What activity do Jamie and Barbara pursue during their party with French African friends from school?
5. Once in London, Stephen consistently avoids social activities such as parties and going out to restaurants. Which character is concerned for Stephen's mental health?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stephen react when Martin Hallam writes to tell her that he has moved to Paris?
2. How does Raferty prompt Stephen to return home to Morton?
3. How do Barbara and Jamie die?
4. How does Stephen react when World War I breaks out while she is living in Paris?
5. What is the reaction from the public to Stephen's third book?
6. How does Stephen spoil Mary when they return to Paris after the war?
7. What type of tour does Brockett give to Stephen once she arrives in Paris, and what is Stephen's reaction to the tour?
8. Why does Martin threaten to leave Paris soon after he meets Stephen there?
9. What is Stephen's life like two years after leaving Morton?
10. What is Rue Jacob?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)