|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Stephen witness Angela kissing another lover?
(a) In her kitchen.
(b) In her garden.
(c) At her door.
(d) On her roof.
2. Although Stephen professes to hate her studies, she reveals to her instructors an exceptional talent in which field?
3. How does Angela respond to Stephen's distressing actions after Violet Antrim's revelations concerning Angela's love life come to the surface?
(a) She breaks up with Stephen.
(b) She asks Stephen to wait patiently for her to make up her mind.
(c) She bursts into tears and begs for forgiveness.
(d) She virtually ignores Stephen.
4. After hearing rumors of Angela's love life, what action does Stephen take in a desperate attempt to impress Angela?
(a) She secretly hides outiside Angela's home to spy.
(b) She buys a burial plot for Angela's dead dog, Tony.
(c) She purchases luxuries such as fine clothes, strutting her wealth.
(d) She hunts and kills a prize buck, offering it to Angela.
5. After witnessing Angela's late-night rendezvous and kiss, Stephen writes an extended letter, detailing her emotional pain, and sends it to Angela. What does Angela fear most about this scathing love note?
(a) That Ralph will discover Angela's infidelity with her secret lover.
(b) That Stephen will leave her once and for all.
(c) That Stephen will kill her secret lover.
(d) That Ralph will fight and hurt Stephen.
6. On the way home from from Cornwall, what does Stephen purchase for Angela?
(a) Pearl ring.
(b) Diamond earrings.
(c) Diamond necklace.
(d) Pearl necklace.
7. What ailment does Collins suffer with?
(a) Club feet.
(c) Housemaid's knee.
8. Sir Phillip, uncomfortable with his daughter's tutor, replaces Mademoiselle Duphot with whom?
(a) Miss Antrim.
(b) Miss Puddleton.
(c) Monsieur Truffet.
(d) Mademoiselle Duphot was not replaced.
9. During her attendance at Lady Anna's social events, what term can best describe Stephen's behavior?
(b) Stephen refused to attend any of her mother's social events.
10. In chapter twenty-six, Stephen and Angela spend a wonderful afternoon together, but why is their day suddenly cut short?
(a) Angela claims to have a headache.
(b) Angela trips and twists her ankle.
(c) Angela rushes off, claiming to be late for an appointment.
(d) Angela leaves to care for Ralph, who is drunk and sick.
11. Who died in Angela's life soon after her arrival in New York, leaving her alone and without money?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her brother.
12. Which of the following best describes Stephen's disposition after returning home to Morton from Cornwall?
(a) Content and happy.
(d) Depressed and unresponsive.
13. As Stephen grows older, what activity do her and Sir Phillip share together?
(a) Racing horses.
(b) Target shooting.
(c) Grooming horses.
14. Who replaces Sir Phillip as the strongest supporter of Stephen's education?
(a) Lady Anna.
(b) Williams the head groom.
(c) Miss Puddelton.
15. After Angela refuses to run away with Stephen, how long do both women avoid each other?
(a) One week.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Five days.
Short Answer Questions
1. During this time Stephen receives another new horse. What does she name it?
2. Which character continually gossips about Angela's prospective love with someone other than Stephen?
3. Which of the following best describes Stephen's attitude before and during her second visit over tea with Angela?
4. What activity is simply too painful for Stephen to continue now with the absence of her late father?
5. What characteristic traits can best describe Stephen's tutor, Mademoiselle Duphot, as their relationship develops?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)