|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What worries Ben?
2. What do Louis and Martin notice about the dead dog?
3. When does Antonia stop trying to bribe Calli to talk?
4. Who does Calli think about as she walks?
5. What does Ben do once when he catches Jason alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurs at the press conference that Martin, Fielda and Antonia go to?
2. What happens when Martin sees Ben by Petra?
3. What happens after Calli said her brother's name?
4. Where does Fielda decide to go and who volunteers to go with her?
5. What does Louis see in the trees and why doesn't he immediately investigate?
6. What does Louis think of doing in the next election and what does he think will be some people's reaction?
7. How does Antonia react when she sees Calli come out of the woods?
8. What happens when Ben finds Griff, Calli and Petra?
9. What hat do Ben's thoughts reveal about the situation with Jason Meechum?
10. What do Louis' thoughts reveal about his relationship with Christine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels end on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Weight of Silence and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why The Weight of Silence is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Weight of Silence? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Weight of Silence including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Weight of Silence and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
The Weight of Silence belongs to the young adult novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the young adult novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young adult novel and a historical novel mystery?
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)