|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis concludes "Is Theology Poetry?" by saying that Christian theology can fit into all but which of the following things?
2. When discussing religion in private life, Lewis says that we live today in a society starved for all but which of the following?
3. Lewis says in "The Inner Ring" that an egoist is all but which of the following?
4. When discussing the meaning of poetry, Lewis says he feels sure the examiners were not asking if theologians are masters of all but which of the following styles?
5. In "Membership", Lewis says that _________ has replaced friendship.
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Membership", why is the idea that religion should take place in solitude a dangerous one?
2. In the opening of "The Inner Ring", what does Lewis believe of the desire to be inside the inner ring?
3. At the end of "Membership", Lewis says that he may have complicated a simple matter but that he was anxious to bring out what two points?
4. Why, according to Lewis's discussion of forgiveness, is it so important for us to forgive those who sin against us?
5. How does Lewis respond, when discussing whether theology is merely poetry, to the idea that Christians believe their theology because they find it the most poetically appealing of their options?
6. In his discussion of the value of the human soul, Lewis has what to say about why God died for man?
7. When discussing religion versus science, Lewis quotes Professor D.M.S. Watson. What is Watson's view on evolution as opposed to creationism?
8. According to "The Inner Ring", what is the difference between a small musical group and an inner ring?
9. Explain the Creed, as discussed in "On Forgiveness".
10. What, according to Lewis's descriptions of the inner ring, does one discover when getting close to the ring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lewis gives the example of love as a positive virtue and unselfishness as a negative one. Pick three other positive virtues discussed by Lewis in this collection of sermons and compare and contrast the negative counterparts of each positive virtue.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and explore Lewis's personal view on why Pacifism is not a logical position. Be sure to explain each point fully and use supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the various views on Pacifism and Lewis's response to each. Include information from the text.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)