|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis concludes "Is Theology Poetry?" by saying that Christian theology can fit into all but which of the following things?
2. According to "On Forgiveness", we believe that God forgives sin but that He will not do so unless what?
3. According to "Is Theology Poetry?" why are fairies popular in England?
4. In "On Forgiveness", Lewis says that God must often think of excuses we do not and that upon death some may find what?
5. According to Lewis's discussion of membership, what did St. Paul mean by the word "members" in the original Greek context?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, according to "Is Theology Poetry?", do we not restate belief in a less poetical form free from metaphor and symbolism?
2. In his discussion of the value of the human soul, Lewis has what to say about why God died for man?
3. What, according to Lewis's descriptions of the inner ring, does one discover when getting close to the ring?
4. Why, in his discussion of forgiveness, does Lewis say he has come to agree that the section on forgiveness does need to be included in the Creed?
5. When discussing religion versus science, Lewis quotes Professor D.M.S. Watson. What is Watson's view on evolution as opposed to creationism?
6. Why, according to Lewis's discussion of forgiveness, is it so important for us to forgive those who sin against us?
7. Why, according to "Membership", is Christianity institutional in the earliest documents?
8. Why does Lewis refrain from calling inner rings evil in "The Inner Ring"?
9. Explain the Creed, as discussed in "On Forgiveness".
10. In "Membership", why is the idea that religion should take place in solitude a dangerous one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and explore Lewis's personal view on why Pacifism is not a logical position. Be sure to explain each point fully and use supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Lewis gives the example of love as a positive virtue and unselfishness as a negative one. Pick three other positive virtues discussed by Lewis in this collection of sermons and compare and contrast the negative counterparts of each positive virtue.
Essay Topic 3
What are the main arguments between religion and science? Cite three specific examples from the text and discuss them in detail to support the essay.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)