|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Lewis quote in "Transposition" in his attempt to refute religious critics?
2. According to Lewis in his discussion of Pacifism, what sort of society tolerates Pacifists?
3. While talking about his war experience, Lewis refers to which of the following famous works?
4. Lewis states that we are creatures who are every moment advancing toward either heaven or hell, and that we still spend time on all but which of the following trivialities?
5. In "The Weight of Glory", Lewis says he feels as though he is trying to rip a secret from his audience that they commonly refer to as all but which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of "Transposition" Lewis says he has four points to add. What are they?
2. When talking about the highest virtues, Lewis states that people today see unselfishness as the highest but that Christians of old thought love is the greatest. Lewis believes unselfishness to be a negative term while love is positive. Why does Lewis believe that unselfishness is negative?
3. While discussing the relationship between emotion and sensation, what three points does Lewis make about the relationship?
4. Describe the two meanings of conscience as discussed in "Why I am Not a Pacifist".
5. Explain the five promises of Scripture as discussed in "The Weight of Glory".
6. In "Transposition", what points does Lewis make about the included quote from Pepys?
7. Why, in "Transposition", does Lewis say that he is somewhat uncomfortable with glossolalia?
8. What three ways does Lewis say there are to interpret the command to turn the other cheek, as discussed in "Why I am Not a Pacifist"?
9. Explain Lewis's analogy of the woman who has a son while living in a dungeon. What point does Lewis intend to make with this fable, as discussed in "Transposition"?
10. Why, according to Lewis in "Learning in War-time", might some view continuing education as odd during a great war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cite three examples of the inner ring as described by Lewis and explain how this phenomenon works. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Lewis gives the example of love as a positive virtue and unselfishness as a negative one. Pick three other positive virtues discussed by Lewis in this collection of sermons and compare and contrast the negative counterparts of each positive virtue.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Lewis's view of man as a cautious creature, careful not to be too worked up in the course of devotions, with the common Christian perception of this same subject. Explore the connection in detail and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)