|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What example does Lewis say in "Transposition" is the most familiar when discussing adaptation from a richer medium to a poorer?
2. Lewis states in "Learning in War-time" that St. Paul tells people to do what?
3. In "The Weight of Glory", Lewis likens figuring out the Christian lifestyle to learning which language?
4. While discussing the cynic's questions about religion, Lewis says that religious language and imagery contains nothing that has not been borrowed from what?
5. Which analogy does Lewis use when discussing the seeming pointlessness of continuing education during a war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Lewis's assertion in "Learning in War-time" that war creates no absolutely new situation.
2. Why, according to Lewis in "Learning in War-time", might some view continuing education as odd during a great war?
3. When talking about the highest virtues, Lewis states that people today see unselfishness as the highest but that Christians of old thought love is the greatest. Lewis believes unselfishness to be a negative term while love is positive. Why does Lewis believe that unselfishness is negative?
4. Why, when discussing the concept of glory, does Lewis describe glory as being noticed by God?
5. Discuss Lewis's response in "The Weight of Glory" when talking about Wordsworth's definition of beauty in life.
6. In his discussion of heaven in "Transposition", Lewis says that often our negative interpretation of heaven outweighs the positive. What does he mean by this?
7. While discussing the relationship between emotion and sensation, what three points does Lewis make about the relationship?
8. When comparing the Christian life to that of a schoolboy in "The Weight of Glory", why does Lewis say that the analogy eventually breaks down?
9. What three ways does Lewis say there are to interpret the command to turn the other cheek, as discussed in "Why I am Not a Pacifist"?
10. In "Transposition", what points does Lewis make about the included quote from Pepys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What larger points does Lewis intend to make about human nature? Pick three points from any section of the book and discuss in detail the statement Lewis is trying to make about humanity. Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the childlike view of heaven described by Lewis with the more mature, adult view of heaven for which he says one must strive. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Cite three examples of the inner ring as described by Lewis and explain how this phenomenon works. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,232 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)