|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In discussing the inner ring, to which psychologist does Lewis refer?
2. Which author does Lewis quote in "Membership" as saying that to be happy at home is the end of all human endeavor?
3. In the opening of "The Inner Ring", Lewis says that he will not attempt to talk about what?
(b) Current affairs.
4. To which famous philosopher does Lewis refer at the end of "The Inner Ring"?
5. According to Lewis in "On Forgiveness", excusing that which produces a really good excuse is not charity but what?
6. Lewis says that, when faced with the question of poetry in theology, he naturally turns to the believer he knows best. To whom does he refer?
(a) His pastor.
(c) His wife.
7. In his discussion of what it takes to be a member of the inner ring, Lewis says that the trial for the inner ring may end in all but which of the following ways?
8. According to Lewis's discussion of membership, what did St. Paul mean by the word "members" in the original Greek context?
9. In the opening of "Membership", Lewis says he believes it was one of the Wesleys who said that the New Testament knows nothing of what?
(c) Group religion.
(d) Solitary religion.
10. In "Is Theology Poetry?" what era of tragedy does Lewis describe as one where the protagonist's life is represented by a slowly rising and then quickly falling curve?
11. In "Is Theology Poetry?" what mythological person does Lewis say has a far more heroic appeal than the Christian God?
12. To which poet does Lewis refer in "The Inner Ring"?
13. In "On Forgiveness", Lewis says that in the case of the sins of others we do what?
(a) Let God supply the excuse.
(b) Accept excuses too easily.
(c) Ignore the need for an excuse.
(d) Don't accept excuses easily enough.
14. When discussing Christian solitude, Lewis says that Christians are called not to _____________ but to membership in the mystical body.
15. In "Is Theology Poetry?" what writer does Lewis reference when talking about the Scientific Outlook?
(a) Robert A. Heinlein.
(b) George Orwell.
(c) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(d) H.G. Wells.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis says in "The Inner Ring" that he will leave which of the following topics strictly alone?
2. In his discussion of fairies, Lewis says that belief in them would spoil the reading of what famous Shakespearean work for him?
3. "Membership" states that humility is the road to what?
4. "Membership" says that the modern idea that religion belongs to our private life is all but which of the following?
5. Lewis states in "Membership" that _____________ is a quantitative term and that therefore love knows nothing of it.
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)