|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What famous work by Keats does Lewis say in "Is Theology Poetry?" is even better than ancient mythology?
(b) Hymn to Apollo.
(d) Ode to Autumn.
2. What does Lewis say at the end of "On Forgiveness" is the hard part about forgiveness?
(a) To begin forgiving.
(b) To ask for help in forgiving.
(c) To remember to forgive.
(d) To keep forgiving.
3. Lewis says that, when faced with the question of poetry in theology, he naturally turns to the believer he knows best. To whom does he refer?
(a) His wife.
(d) His pastor.
4. Lewis states in "Membership" that _____________ is a quantitative term and that therefore love knows nothing of it.
5. In discussing the inner ring, to which psychologist does Lewis refer?
6. "Membership" states that obedience is the road to what?
7. According to Lewis's discussion of membership, what did St. Paul mean by the word "members" in the original Greek context?
8. In "The Inner Ring", Lewis says what about the existence of inner rings?
(a) It is avoidable.
(b) It is unavoidable.
(c) It is good.
(d) It is evil.
9. In "Membership", Lewis says that the modern notion that children should call their parents by their Christian names is what?
10. In "Is Theology Poetry?" what mythological person does Lewis say has a far more heroic appeal than the Christian God?
11. While discussing pagan religion, Lewis states that the plot of the cosmic story involves all but which of the following themes?
12. According to Lewis's discussion of religion in private life, this phenomenon can be seen even where?
(a) In society.
(b) At university.
(c) In the workplace.
(d) In church.
13. Which author does Lewis quote in "Membership" as saying that to be happy at home is the end of all human endeavor?
14. According to "Is Theology Poetry?" why are fairies popular in England?
(a) They represent human virtues.
(b) They are a childlike delight.
(c) We don't think they exist.
(d) We have substituted them for ancient mythology.
15. To which poet does Lewis refer in "The Inner Ring"?
Short Answer Questions
1. "Is Theology Poetry?" states that while some divine illumination is given to all men, which group has received special illumination?
2. In "Membership", Lewis says that _________ has replaced friendship.
3. In the opening of "The Inner Ring", Lewis says that he will not attempt to talk about what?
4. Though Lewis says in "On Forgiveness" that we should forgive someone who breaks a promise, he also says what?
5. "Membership" states that unity is the road to what?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)