|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Membership", Lewis cautions against mistaking necessary evils for what?
(a) Absolute evils.
2. In "Is Theology Poetry?" what era of tragedy does Lewis describe as one where the protagonist's life is represented by a slowly rising and then quickly falling curve?
3. According to Lewis's description of a middle-aged moralist, such a person should warn juniors against all but which of the following?
(a) The devil.
(b) The world.
4. In "The Inner Ring", Lewis says that the hint toward a certain path will likely come just as one is anxious not to appear to be all but which of the following?
5. In "Is Theology Poetry?" Lewis says that Europe took a major interest in classical mythology during which periods?
(a) 19th to 21st centuries.
(b) 12th to 17th centuries.
(c) 10th to 15th centuries.
(d) 4th to 9th centuries.
6. In "Is Theology Poetry?" what mythological person does Lewis say has a far more heroic appeal than the Christian God?
7. Lewis concludes "Is Theology Poetry?" by saying that Christian theology can fit into all but which of the following things?
8. Lewis says in "Membership" that he does not believe God created what kind of world?
9. Lewis says, in "The Inner Ring", that in the next ten years his audience will be busy doing all but which of the following?
(a) Getting married.
(b) Bringing peace to Europe.
(c) Acquiring facts.
(d) Finding jobs.
10. When discussing the possible future of his audience, Lewis says that for nine out of ten of them the choice will come which could lead to what?
(d) Inner Ring.
11. "Membership" states that unity is the road to what?
12. When discussing the meaning of poetry, Lewis says he feels sure the examiners were not asking if theologians are masters of all but which of the following styles?
13. In "The Inner Ring", Lewis says that the quest for the ring will break what?
14. Lewis says, when discussing the inner ring phenomenon, that we hope for tangible profit from every ring such as all but which of the following?
15. In his discussion of forgiveness, Lewis says that to be a Christian means to forgive what?
(a) The unfathomable.
(b) The irrational.
(c) The illogical.
(d) The inexcusable.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why, according to "Membership", has even the authority of man over beast been interfered with?
2. To which famous philosopher does Lewis refer at the end of "The Inner Ring"?
3. Toward the end of "Membership", Lewis says that it is a pestilent notion that we each start with something called ____________ locked up inside us.
4. Lewis states when discussing theology that only a minority of world religions have a theology. What ancient culture does he use as an example?
5. According to "On Forgiveness", we believe that God forgives sin but that He will not do so unless what?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)