|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what famous author does Lewis begin "The Inner Ring"?
2. In "Membership", Lewis says that the modern notion that children should call their parents by their Christian names is what?
3. In "The Inner Ring", Lewis says that the quest for the ring will break what?
4. In "Is Theology Poetry?" what writer does Lewis reference when talking about the Scientific Outlook?
(a) J.R.R. Tolkien.
(b) Robert A. Heinlein.
(c) H.G. Wells.
(d) George Orwell.
5. Lewis says in "Membership" that he does not believe God created what kind of world?
6. In "Is Theology Poetry?" Lewis says that Europe took a major interest in classical mythology during which periods?
(a) 12th to 17th centuries.
(b) 19th to 21st centuries.
(c) 10th to 15th centuries.
(d) 4th to 9th centuries.
7. Toward the end of "Membership", Lewis says that it is a pestilent notion that we each start with something called ____________ locked up inside us.
8. In his description of the inner ring, what does Lewis say happens when we get close to the ring?
(a) There is another ring inside it.
(b) We are no longer interested in the ring.
(c) There isn't actually a ring at all.
(d) We are accepted into the ring.
9. In "Is Theology Poetry?" Lewis states that when you reach the New Testament truth is incarnate, and in this, "incarnate" is more than just what?
10. While discussing pagan religion, Lewis states that the plot of the cosmic story involves all but which of the following themes?
11. In the opening of "Membership", Lewis says he believes it was one of the Wesleys who said that the New Testament knows nothing of what?
(c) Solitary religion.
(d) Group religion.
12. In "On Forgiveness", Lewis says that in our own cases of sin we do what?
(a) Ignore the need for an excuse.
(b) Don't accept excuses easily enough.
(c) Accept excuses too easily.
(d) Let God supply the excuse.
13. According to Lewis's discussion of forgiveness, what is the the same about us forgiving others and God forgiving us?
(a) Forgiving does not mean excusing.
(b) Forgiving means excusing.
(c) There is nothing the same.
(d) We don't have to forgive each other.
14. According to Lewis's description of a middle-aged moralist, such a person should warn juniors against all but which of the following?
(c) The world.
(d) The devil.
15. In "The Inner Ring", Lewis says that the hint toward a certain path will likely come just as one is anxious not to appear to be all but which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. When talking about forgiving each other, Lewis says that we must make every effort to eliminate all but which of the following desires from our hearts?
2. "Membership" says that the modern idea that religion belongs to our private life is all but which of the following?
3. Lewis says in "The Inner Ring" that he will leave which of the following topics strictly alone?
4. In his discussion of the inner ring, Lewis says that a person may tell themselves it is a hardship to do what?
5. Lewis states when discussing theology that only a minority of world religions have a theology. What ancient culture does he use as an example?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)