|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Why I am Not a Pacifist.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which analogy does Lewis use when discussing the seeming pointlessness of continuing education during a war?
(a) Fiddling while Rome burns.
(b) Not having enough sense to come in out of the rain.
(c) Talking to a brick wall.
(d) A race against time.
2. When discussing the perception that some activities are more worthy of God's attention than others, Lewis says Arnold first used the word "spiritual" to replace what German word?
3. According to "Why I am Not a Pacifist", basic moral intuitions are the only element of ______________ that cannot be argued about.
4. Lewis opens "Why I am Not a Pacifist" by saying military service can be all but which of the following?
(a) Morally obligatory.
(b) Morally indifferent.
(c) Unquestionably essential.
(d) Wicked action.
5. According to Lewis in "Learning in War-time", why must good philosophy exist?
(a) Bad philosophy must be answered.
(b) It provides a reason to be religious.
(c) It does not need to exist.
(d) Humans need reason to understand things.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of fanatic does Lewis describe in "Why I am Not a Pacifist" who has an unanswerable intuition that strong drink is wrong?
2. In "The Weight of Glory", Lewis says nineteen out of twenty men today would respond that what is the highest of the virtues?
3. What is the third Pacifist position ruled out by Lewis in "Why I am Not a Pacifist"?
4. Lewis contends in his discussion of Pacifism that, rather than fanaticism, the best results are obtained by all but which of the following limited objectives?
5. While talking about his war experience, Lewis refers to which of the following famous works?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)