The Weight of Glory
• Lewis begins by discussing the ways in which Christian virtues have a deepening negative slant.
• One of the strongest current Christian virtues, unselfishness, should actually be love; unselfishness is the negative translation of the positive virtue of love.
• Self-denial (unselfishness) is often discussed in the Bible but our current translation of it promotes going without good ourselves, rather than seeking good for others.
• Human emotions are often thought too strong, but are in reality too weak; too often we settle for something weak, like lust, when the stronger version, love, is available.
• Many critics of Christianity say that it is a mercenary system, as it's based on the idea of living a good life solely for the purpose of the award of heaven.
• A man is mercenary if he pursues marriage for money, because "money is not the natural reward for love."
• A man...
This section contains 1,597 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)