|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must the shaman feed his spirit helpers?
(a) Tobacco water.
(b) Ground allspice.
(c) Coffee nectar.
(d) Vanilla beans.
2. In the cultures Harner studies, shamans are primarily:
3. Why do individuals need the protection of a guardian spirit?
(a) To reach adulthood.
(b) To maintain a strong, steady heartbeat.
(c) They are weak.
(d) To counter chaotic spirits.
4. In his guided, step-by-step instructions for a first journey, Harner instructs the aspiring shaman to eat:
(d) Only seeds and fruit.
5. The author emphasizes that not all tribes use what in their shamanic practices?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the tsentak?
2. What does the author tell an aspiring shaman to do upon returning from his or her first journey?
3. Harner asks aspiring shamans to refrain from:
4. Shamans from Venezuela, North America, Australia, and other regions all report having similar what?
5. In early experiences with the Conibo, Harner hears rushing:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Harner writes about the mythical past link between humans and animals.
2. What are some of the similarities Harner notes in first-hand shamanic experiences reported by middle-class Americans?
3. How does a shaman use wild, undomesticated plants in preparation for extracting intrusions from a patient?
4. Prompted by similarities he found in books and accounts about shamanic experiences, what did Harner decide to do in order to learn more about shamanism?
5. Describe Harner's experience of spiritually going to a cave beneath a waterfall with a Jivaro shaman.
6. What are the main functions and activities of a shaman, as described in Chapter 3?
7. What does Harner say about shamanism and synchronicity?
8. Why does a power animal need to be danced regularly?
9. When was the book Natural Magick written, and what is it about?
10. What does Akachu question when he and Harner are getting to know each other?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)