|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Jivaro shaman help Harner acquire?
(a) The ability to see beyond.
(b) Tree guides.
(c) Spirit helpers.
(d) Advanced intuition.
2. How does a shaman typically travel into the Lowerworld?
(a) By teleporting.
(b) Wearing a special cloak.
(c) On the wings of a dragon.
(d) Through a hole or tunnel.
3. Who does the author quote as an expert on the subject of altered states?
(a) Shamanic scholar Mircea Eliade.
(b) Author Carlos Castaneda.
(c) Anthropologist Margaret Mead.
(d) West African writer Malidoma Some.
4. What is the role of amnesia in a shaman's rituals?
(a) It's always used on patients who've experienced trauma.
(b) It's shunned and never used.
(c) It's rarely involved.
(d) It's an essential tool.
5. How do spirit helpers assist the shaman?
(a) By helping the shaman engage in divination of the past, present, and future.
(b) By spying on others and reporting back to the shaman.
(c) By whispering truths into the shaman's otherworldly ears.
(d) By keeping the shaman's third eye open at all times to see alternate realities.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author tell an aspiring shaman to do upon returning from his or her first journey?
2. How old is shamanism estimated to be?
3. Which of the following do reputable shamans NOT do?
4. In a drug-induced vision, Harner sees demons as:
5. Why does Harner include the examples of the Lakota Sioux and Coast Salish tribes for Westerners in particular?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Harner's journey with Akachu.
2. What are the main functions and activities of a shaman, as described in Chapter 3?
3. How does Harner say that a shaman can be distinguished from other medicine men?
4. How does a shaman take care of his or her tsentak?
5. Describe the spirit helpers known as tsentak.
6. What are some of the similarities Harner notes in first-hand shamanic experiences reported by middle-class Americans?
7. Describe the tunnel a shaman utilizes to journey into the Lowerworld.
8. Harner says that apprentice shamans report similarities in how they get out of difficulties. What are some of the difficulties he mentions?
9. How and why is a shamanic state of consciousness (SSC) achieved?
10. What is the participant of the exercise in Chapter 2 instructed regarding the end of the journey?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)