|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Harner say that middle-class Americans report experiencing on their shamanic attempts?
(c) Temperature changes.
2. What does Harner recommend that the aspiring shaman listen to?
(a) Flowing water.
(b) Birds singing.
3. What is the name of the Jivaro shaman Harner works with?
4. How do shamans use their guardian spirits?
(a) In passing.
(c) In supplication.
(d) Through trickery.
5. With the help of spirit helpers and two tsentak inside his mouth, the shaman can help the patient by:
(a) Swallowing the intruder.
(b) Vomiting out the intruder.
(c) Frightening the intruder out.
(d) Smoking out the intruder.
Short Answer Questions
1. Harner asserts that shamanism transcends any particular what?
2. What must the shaman feed his spirit helpers?
3. What happens in the state a shaman reaches, known as a type of ecstasy?
4. What are guardian spirits called in Siberia?
5. Among other sensations in his experience with the Conibo, Harner experiences a sense of flying inside what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Harner's journey with Akachu.
2. Summarize the first shamanic journey exercise presented to the reader in Chapter 2.
3. Harner emphasizes in Chapter 1 that becoming a shaman involves what?
4. What are other names the author mentions for guardian spirits, and what cultures call them by these alternate names?
5. What are some of the similarities Harner notes in first-hand shamanic experiences reported by middle-class Americans?
6. Discuss what Harner says about the humility of shamanism?
7. Why does the author find it encouraging for Westerners that not all tribes use drugs in their shamanic practices?
8. What does Akachu question when he and Harner are getting to know each other?
9. In the step-by-step instructions for going on a first shamanic journey that the author supplies for the reader in Chapter 2, how does he ask the participant to prepare?
10. What is the participant of the exercise in Chapter 2 instructed regarding the end of the journey?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)