|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the cultures Harner studies, shamans are primarily:
2. Harner asks aspiring shamans to refrain from:
(a) Exercising strenuously.
(b) Using anything electronic.
(c) Eating sweets.
(d) Drinking alcohol.
3. Harner's reports of the rituals, symbols, and visions of the different tribes he observes are what?
4. According to the author, who has a guardian spirit, whether recognized or not?
5. What is the role of amnesia in a shaman's rituals?
(a) It's rarely involved.
(b) It's always used on patients who've experienced trauma.
(c) It's an essential tool.
(d) It's shunned and never used.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Harner say it's important that the shaman does not tell the patient's family that he already has the ordinary form of the spirit in his mouth?
2. In his guided, step-by-step instructions for a first journey, Harner instructs the aspiring shaman to eat:
3. Which of the following does NOT help a shaman enter a shamanic state of consciousness?
4. Shamans from Venezuela, North America, Australia, and other regions all report having similar what?
5. What does the author tell an aspiring shaman to do upon returning from his or her first journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Akachu question when he and Harner are getting to know each other?
2. What is the practice of rock-seeing?
3. In the step-by-step instructions for going on a first shamanic journey that the author supplies for the reader in Chapter 2, how does he ask the participant to prepare?
4. Describe the tunnel a shaman utilizes to journey into the Lowerworld.
5. Harner emphasizes in Chapter 1 that becoming a shaman involves what?
6. Prompted by similarities he found in books and accounts about shamanic experiences, what did Harner decide to do in order to learn more about shamanism?
7. What does a shaman do with the tsentak to help a patient?
8. Describe Harner's experience of spiritually going to a cave beneath a waterfall with a Jivaro shaman.
9. Harner says that apprentice shamans report similarities in how they get out of difficulties. What are some of the difficulties he mentions?
10. Harner compares rock-seeing to what Western practices?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)