|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are guardian spirits called in Siberia?
(a) Warning spirits.
(b) Angelic beings.
(c) Tutelary spirits.
(d) Guardian angels.
2. Harner asks aspiring shamans to refrain from:
(a) Exercising strenuously.
(b) Using anything electronic.
(c) Eating sweets.
(d) Drinking alcohol.
3. When drugs are involved in Shaman practices, who takes them?
(a) The shaman and the patient.
(b) The shaman and the patient's family members.
(c) The patient.
(d) The shaman.
4. What does the Jivaro shaman give to Harner to drink?
(a) A substance made from the datura plant.
(b) Fermented coconut milk.
(c) Water from a mystical underground spring.
(d) The juice of the cacao plant.
5. Which of the following is NOT a purpose for entering a shamanic state of consciousness?
(b) Healing illnesses.
(d) Retrieving power animals.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does a shaman typically travel into the Lowerworld?
2. Why is Harner afraid to take maikua?
3. How do shamans use their guardian spirits?
4. In early experiences with the Conibo, Harner hears rushing:
5. What does Harner compare his near-death experience with the Conibo to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the main functions and activities of a shaman, as described in Chapter 3?
2. What is the participant of the exercise in Chapter 2 instructed regarding the end of the journey?
3. Who is Akachu, and how does he help Harner?
4. What are some of the similarities Harner notes in first-hand shamanic experiences reported by middle-class Americans?
5. What is the practice of rock-seeing?
6. Harner compares rock-seeing to what Western practices?
7. Describe an environment that's conducive to the shaman being most effective while in a shamanic state of consciousness (SSC).
8. Describe Harner's experience of spiritually going to a cave beneath a waterfall with a Jivaro shaman.
9. Describe the tunnel a shaman utilizes to journey into the Lowerworld.
10. How old is shamanism, and what cultures have best preserved this practice?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)