|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Power Practices.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On his or her first guided journey, the shaman student is asked by Harner to visualize what?
(a) A starry sky and the patterns the stars form.
(b) A favorite animal or element of nature.
(c) An opening in the earth that feels acceptable.
(d) A quiet, tranquil scene that includes the element of water.
2. What should a shaman NOT do when feeling dis-spirited?
(a) Walk into the wilderness.
(b) Visualize clear light.
(c) Listen to a drumbeat.
(d) Attempt to heal someone.
3. Why do individuals need the protection of a guardian spirit?
(a) To maintain a strong, steady heartbeat.
(b) They are weak.
(c) To reach adulthood.
(d) To counter chaotic spirits.
4. How is a shamanic state of consciousness, or SSC, achieved?
(a) By chanting songs passed down by tribal peoples and drinking fermented coffee.
(b) By drinking nettle tea and fasting for five days.
(c) By entering a trance state and using methods of cosmic geography and nonordinary reality.
(d) By calling upon spirit guides to pull the shaman's spirit out of the body and hurl it to the heavens.
5. While in the Lowerworld with a power animal, what does a shamanic exercise participant accomplish by shaking a rattle quickly?
(a) A quicker return up the tunnel.
(b) Hypnotizing the power animal.
(c) Fending off ominous creatures.
(d) A deep trance state.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of rattles used during a shaman's work?
2. After a shaman successfully retrieves a patient's power animal from the Lowerworld, what's the next step?
3. Shamans pass through what kind of planes?
4. While in the Lowerworld on a journey to restore power, how will the shaman know if a power animal is ready to accompany the seeker?
5. If SSC stands for shamanic state of consciousness, what does OSC stand for?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)