|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Shamanism and States of Consciousness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Harner compare his near-death experience with the Conibo to?
(a) Ancient Daoism stories.
(b) Descriptions in the Bible.
(c) The concept of reincarnation.
(d) Teachings of Confucius.
2. With the help of spirit helpers and two tsentak inside his mouth, the shaman can help the patient by:
(a) Swallowing the intruder.
(b) Frightening the intruder out.
(c) Vomiting out the intruder.
(d) Smoking out the intruder.
3. Shamans pass through what kind of planes?
4. What is the purpose of rattles used during a shaman's work?
(a) To ward off evil spirits.
(b) To purify the air surrounding the patient.
(c) To open up tightly closed portals.
(d) To reinforce drumming for a greater sonic effect.
5. Which of the following does NOT help a shaman enter a shamanic state of consciousness?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a shaman able to do to restore health in a person with the assistance of appropriate spirit helpers?
2. What are the tsentak?
3. When drugs are involved in Shaman practices, who takes them?
4. What does the author encounter when he drinks maikua?
5. Why does Harner include the examples of the Lakota Sioux and Coast Salish tribes for Westerners in particular?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)