|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Shamanism and States of Consciousness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Harner's personal observation is that people develop shamanism as a tool for using the power of the human mind for what?
(a) To control others.
(b) For esoteric purposes.
(c) To address critical issues.
(d) For entertainment and enlightenment.
2. Among other sensations in his experience with the Conibo, Harner experiences a sense of flying inside what?
(a) A mountain.
(b) A zero-gravity orb.
(c) A spaceship.
(d) A water well.
3. What does Harner recommend that the aspiring shaman listen to?
(a) Birds singing.
(c) Flowing water.
4. What do various cultures report noticing the shaman give off when in a shamanic state of consciousness?
(a) Rhythmic sounds.
(b) A highly directional beam of light, like a laser.
(c) Light in a halo effect.
(d) An unusually sweet aroma.
5. After Harner is awakened from his maikua trance, what is he given?
(a) Warm oolong tea and papaya seeds.
(b) Peaches and grubs.
(c) Pork and mango chutney.
(d) Warm beer and monkey meat.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do shamans use their guardian spirits?
2. What does the Jivaro shaman give to Harner to drink?
3. Harner indicates that becoming a shaman involves pain, facing fears, and a willingness to:
4. Which of the following do reputable shamans NOT do?
5. Harner's reports of the rituals, symbols, and visions of the different tribes he observes are what?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)