|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Power Practices.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the Jivaro shaman who helps Harner worried that the author may not be able to find tsentak?
(a) Finding tsentak is an advanced shamanic practice.
(b) The tsentak are extremely elusive.
(c) Harner has not gone through the necessary rituals.
(d) Harner is not an Indian.
2. What do various cultures report noticing the shaman give off when in a shamanic state of consciousness?
(a) Rhythmic sounds.
(b) Light in a halo effect.
(c) A highly directional beam of light, like a laser.
(d) An unusually sweet aroma.
3. How does a shaman typically travel into the Lowerworld?
(a) Through a hole or tunnel.
(b) By teleporting.
(c) Wearing a special cloak.
(d) On the wings of a dragon.
4. Shamans pass through what kind of planes?
5. Harner presents one shaman's drawings of the tunnel to Lowerworld. What does it look like?
(a) Concentric circles with crystals and humans falling through a hole.
(b) A cavern with steps leading straight down.
(c) Brightly lit opening with benevolent animals protecting the entrance.
(d) A winding chute that's wide at the top and bottom but narrow in the middle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Particularly during the Inquisition, many Christian church leaders considered animal transformation to be what?
2. The author emphasizes that not all tribes use what in their shamanic practices?
3. In the Jivaro tradition, the identity of a power animal is what?
4. Why do the Jivaro and other shamanic tribes believe in waking up a person gently?
5. According to Jivaro tradition, a shaman must seek out a guardian spirit how often?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)