Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two emotions seem to dominate Rhoda's Section 7 monologue?
2. In Section 8, who contends that the characters have "destroyed something by our presence"?
3. What one word is repeated throughout Susan's monologue in Section 6?
4. According to Section 7, what does Jinny resign herself to being in regards to the rest of her life?
5. Which of the characters appears most able to move on from the significant news in Section 5?
Write a detailed essay which examines the many instances of foreshadowing in this novel. Of particular significance here is the way the characters appear in the first two sections to how they appear in the final sections. Consider comparing and contrasting the young and adult characters. Another good idea would be to look at Sections 4 and 8, the two most important sections which feature all of the characters in the same place and time. Pay particular attention to what emotions the characters have as children and how much these emotions carry over to their adult lives.
In a detailed essay, outline the role Rhoda plays in the group. Is she a kind of tragic hero? What is the source or her paralysis and misanthropy? Fully describe this character using ample textual evidence.
When Jinny kisses Louis, only Susan is privy to the event, and this event should have only affected these three characters. But the loss of innocence pervades the whole novel. Write an essay which examines the theme of the loss of innocence, beginning with an analysis of "The Kiss" and its effect on the group.
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)