|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 5, Neville struggles to accomplish what simple act?
2. Who refers to "the hieroglyphs written on other people's faces" in Section 6?
3. Which of the characters appears most able to move on from the significant news in Section 5?
4. What is the best way to characterize the tone of Bernard's first Section 8 monologue?
5. In Section 5, who asks, "but what is the thing that lies beneath the semblance of the thing?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the novel's final image. It is an appropriate one? What is the significance of both the waves as they appear in these vignettes, and as a title? Are there other instances of waves appearing in this novel, rather than in their literal form? There are many instances where a character's interior monologue describes something as being wave-like. Does the novel structurally parallel waves?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the structure of this novel in the course of a detailed essay. Evaluate and identify the rising and falling action as well as the climax. Explain whether this text would have been executed more effectively if Woolf had chosen a different form rather than the constant intertwining of interior monologues.
Essay Topic 3
In a detailed essay, outline the role Rhoda plays in the group. Is she a kind of tragic hero? What is the source or her paralysis and misanthropy? Fully describe this character using ample textual evidence.
This section contains 1,456 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)