Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two emotions seem to dominate Rhoda's Section 7 monologue?
2. In Section 8, who contends that the characters have "destroyed something by our presence"?
3. What one word is repeated throughout Susan's monologue in Section 6?
4. According to Section 7, what does Jinny resign herself to being in regards to the rest of her life?
5. Which of the characters appears most able to move on from the significant news in Section 5?
Evaluate the structure of this novel in the course of a detailed essay. Evaluate and identify the rising and falling action as well as the climax. Explain whether this text would have been executed more effectively if Woolf had chosen a different form rather than the constant intertwining of interior monologues.
In a detailed essay, outline the role Rhoda plays in the group. Is she a kind of tragic hero? What is the source or her paralysis and misanthropy? Fully describe this character using ample textual evidence.
Compare and contrast the characters of Louis and Bernard, who seem to constantly sway between admiration and jealousy toward each other. Why do they pursue such separate life paths? What leads them to their major decisions? How do they find themselves at the novel's conclusion? What makes them arguably the two most similar characters in the text?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)