Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two emotions seem to dominate Rhoda's Section 7 monologue?
2. In Section 8, who contends that the characters have "destroyed something by our presence"?
3. What one word is repeated throughout Susan's monologue in Section 6?
4. According to Section 7, what does Jinny resign herself to being in regards to the rest of her life?
5. Which of the characters appears most able to move on from the significant news in Section 5?
Essay Topic 1
Write a detailed essay that addresses the question of whether or not Bernard is the novel's central character. Provide ample textual evidence to support your claim.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of a narrator in a typical novel? Is there are narrator in this text? Are each of the six characters a "narrator" because they "narrate?" How do you characterize the speaker that relates the introductory vignettes? Is Woolf the novel's narrator, or merely its architect? Explain what a narrator is, what kinds of narrators there are, whether there are any in this text, and if not, how that affects its reception by the reader.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Woolf choosing the passage of a single day as a metaphor for the passage of a group of lives from childhood to old age and even death? What about the metaphor is apt, and what does not seem proper? Why does Woolf include such a vast variety of images that do not always play into the central meaning of the text? What is the importance of the italicization of these passages? Elaborate as much as you can.
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)